behringer or digitech

guitarchuck

so my lil practice amp died and i cant play my electric :D and i was looking at the behringer xvamp or the digitech rp50 .. they both have multi effects but mainly i just need something i can plug my headphones into and have some decent distortion/reverb

and such

any of you got opinions on either one ... trying to stay under 100 bucks here ... heh

I won't be going for the Rp50, but I will suggest the Rp80 because it will be not fair to compare the Behr with the expresion pedal againt the Rp without. I have heard both and I think that their sound is close to the same, I have a GNX1 and I must say it's great. I checked the sound bytes at Musicians Friend and the ones for the Behr sound awsome, how much have they being manipuplated in the recording I don't know but the ones in the Rp80 are crude representation of what you will hear out of it.

This said I will suggest you save a little bit more and get the bigger cousing either the GNX1 or a BOSS ME50 or better. Once you get the little one you will be wanting more, it's nature. I started with an Ax1g from Tone Works and as soon as I learned how to use it I wanted somenthing better.

Well unfortunately I think you're going to run into the same wall I have looking for a practice amp. I played the Behringer and though the multi-effects and being midi controllable in one little box is cool, the distortion left something to be desired. Mind you, I'm a gain maniac and my highest priority is a little amp with huge gain at low volumes. The V's didn't have it.

I'm settling for a Line 6 Spider II 30 watt because the distortion is quite good for a little solid state job but I say settling because I was really hoping to get all the multi-effects like the V's or Alesis SpitFire/WildFire. It has some effects but not nearly what I was hoping for. It seems there isn't one self contained amp below $200.00 that has the best of all worlds.

My 1 1/2 cents. :D

hmm well on that note... can anyone name anything amp or multi effects $100 bucks or under i can plug my headphones into and jam on .. i dont wanna spend alot

i mean i got a wah pedal,delay pedal,and a chorus pedal i just want some thing with some decent shreddy gain

till i can afford a half stack im pretty tired of jamming on practice amps anyhow

thanks .. yeah the gnx1 and boss me50 look nice n all but really i just want somethign to get me by for a couple of months

I have fun with my Marshal MG15CD practice amp. It doesn't sounds as great as a stack, but it's easier to carry... and it only cost $50 when Mars Music went out of business. Even at 15 watts, it will still play loud enough to scare our cats, so it's not wimpy.

Marshal has numerous different models that have a headphone jack.

D~s

hmm well on that note... can anyone name anything amp or multi effects $100 bucks or under i can plug my headphones into and jam on .. i dont wanna spend alot

i mean i got a wah pedal,delay pedal,and a chorus pedal i just want some thing with some decent shreddy gain

till i can afford a half stack im pretty tired of jamming on practice amps anyhow

thanks .. yeah the gnx1 and boss me50 look nice n all but really i just want somethign to get me by for a couple of months

Like I posted before, both the one you presented and the Rp80 can be used with headphones. And can be plugged into an amplifier. You don't need the pedals that you already have because they are integrated on the multi effect models. And the Rp80 is about $90.

I suck at playing but you can listen to the ones here, they are as close to what you could get from the GNX1.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guit...ase_pid/150173/

I will try and upload somenthing to show you some patches, I did this clip a while ago, Is not good but you could get the idea, this is directly to the PC mike input from the GNX1.

http://fullservesite.com/maiden69/sound%20clips/22.mp3

I think the site is down now so you have tro wait to listen. But check the one in Musicians Friend or go here

http://www.digitech.com/products/gnx1.htm

this is the main page at Digitech for the GNX1.

I'm a gain maniac and my highest priority is a little amp with huge gain at low volumes. The V's didn't have it.

sure it does..you just need better headphones to translate it...the "savage beast "setting on the v-amp 2 has more gain than you need...

it is well worth the money and has decent reverb as well as some other cool effects

I also have a Digitech RP-100. I don't have much to complain about, especially now, since I'm adding a few od/dist pedals to beef the chain up..

You will only get massive load of distortion... not distortion you want but a distortion of the sound, It will sound muddy, you can get any type of distortion from the Rp100 ,,, but it's up to you, I thionk that on my GNX I have to bring the drive down a bit in order to get a clearer tone, especialy with the Rectifier amp.

I'm a gain maniac and my highest priority is a little amp with huge gain at low volumes. The V's didn't have it.

sure it does..you just need better headphones to translate it...the "savage beast "setting on the v-amp 2 has more gain than you need...

it is well worth the money and has decent reverb as well as some other cool effects

Wow I must have been somewhere else, I've never played with the V-AMP, I was referring to their V-Tone combos. B)

Strike my comments. :D

haha thanks guys :D yeh i was thinking of getting the gnx1 after listening to some demos.. but a buddy said i could buy his flying vee for 100 bucks.. so now i dont know what to do B)) ...i think im gonna get the guitar (its a no name) lol not a scratch on it.. 24 frets ...floyd rose(lisenced) .. 2 sucky pu's but that easy to change..eentually il have to convert it to lefty but heck.. i think its a decent deal on it .

yah i dont have a huge music store around here .. the one i got close has a few boss pedals but there old guys they think overdrive is all anyone needs :| so im still looking at a pedal maybe the rp series or vamp .. vamp sounds pretty good from what ive heard.. digitech distortion sounds like compressed or something ..i dunno those gnx pedals r sweet though they got all kinds of techo gadgets built in lol

Edited by guitarchuck

You will only get massive load of distortion... not distortion you want but a distortion of the sound, It will sound muddy, you can get any type of distortion from the Rp100 ,,, but it's up to you, I thionk that on my GNX I have to bring the drive down a bit in order to get a clearer tone, especialy with the Rectifier amp.

Perhaps my post was a bit inaccurate.

I know what you mean. That's why I don't really use the RP-100's distortions anymore (unless of course, that's the sound I'm after). I already have a Boss MT-2 and a Marshall Shredmaster to juggle with. I like the sound I'm getting right now (not muddy). And yes, I do turn down the gain whenever necessary.

I'm also getting a Boss OD-2 later today and check out what it adds to my mix.

Edited by Librero

just thought i would update.. i got the behringer x-vamp cause a buddy sold me his v for 100 bucks so i was kinda skint after that purchase..

it arrived i opened it hmm it sounded ok.. i played with the distortion a lil nothing super heavy like i wanted but decent lots of harmonic squeals and my ibanez's tone came thru nice.. like a lil more than ac/dc but not quite pantera if you can imagine it..

so i read the manual wich sux btw .. lol

i keep playing with the buttons then i find the amp modeling and OMG shred city lol

this thing definatley has more gain than you need lol i really like it.. the wah kinda sux i think but i have a real wah so no big deal .. but yeah so far this thing far surpassed what i thought it would for 70 bucks ill see if i can record some sunday and put it online

It just takes you back to this page.... might want to try fullservesite.com, its easy and free, alot of us (including myself) use it

Anyways, my buddy offered me a digitech RP50 for 60 bucks today, is it worth it? alot of people said the pedals stick :D

Curtis

edit

Upon further research, I have discovered that it has:

- 11 amp models

- 20 studio quality effects, up to 8 at once

- built in drum machine with 30 patterns

- 40 user, 40 factory presets

- expresion pedal input for wah and whammy

- 24 bit analog digital converters

- easy to read LED display

- chrmoatic tuner

- stereo output doubles as headphone jack

- battery or external power supply

Retail price- $99.95 + tax = $114.94

So looks like I am going to be buying me a pedal soon B):D

Edited by Curtis P

I just bought my stepson an RP-50 to hold him over until Christmas. $60 is pretty much standard retail price for a new one. List is $100, but I got his new at Guitar Center for $60. The effects are pretty good, but I found the distortion... lacking, to say the least. I'd rate it below any of the real modelers, including the Behringer V-Amp 2 ($130 new at GC).

But the best thing that I've found with it so far, believe it or not, is the little built in drum machine. It's cool to just press a couple buttons and jam to, and it's easier to get him to practice his lessons to a simple 8th note drum track than a ticking metronome.

If you're in the market for something like a combo practice amp / modeler, and aren't against saving up a couple extra bucks, go check out the Roland Micro Cube. They list at $149, which means you can probably score one for about $125 if you haggle it, and comes with a full list of features, all packed into a 2-watt, 4" speakered practice amp WITH a 1/4" headphone jack. And the best part? It can run on AA batteries :D

Check it out here: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.a...odid=Micro+Cube

Good luck in your search!

Edited by heugel