Bullseye paint job (like zakk wylde)

Duff Beer Man

Anyone tempted to do one of these? Bullseye style, like the one gibson/epiphone does on the zakk wylde paint job. Im thinking about trying to do one of these, except i want it blue and yellow, not white and black. The local decal shop said they could print me out a bullseye to cover my guitar on some paper that you stick on the guitar, then peal away the spots you where u want the circles to be. I think im gonna go ahead and try it and we'll how it turns out. Just wanted to know if anyone had tried this?

Oh, and PLEASE don't use that edit ebay decals. He's profiting from Zakk, without permission or royalties...

Zakk doesn't own the design therefore he's not owed any royalties. I seem to remember a post or 2 about this on the ZW forum :D

Duff Beer Man I think there's a template for the bullseye design in the download section of this site. Maybe you could make your own template?

1st off all, you ain't Zakk and I bet he doesn't even care! He ain't like Van Halen lawyers trying to get money for people using his design, if that was the case you could bet he had them stop in a heartbeat. Second, WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE, Theis ain't ZW forum, so respect the rules!

And this is easier to do than you think. Go to a print place where they can cut the vinil paper, and have them cut you the bulls eye, form there take the lines that goes black out from the paper, and lay the base coat on, wait for it to dry, set the decal on paint the black base coat, wait for the paint to dry a bit and carefuly peel the vinil tape. once it is dried completely, run a tach cloth, this will pick the hard edges that build on the edge of the black and the vinyl tape, and clear coat away!

Second, WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE, Theis ain't ZW forum, so respect the rules!

My apologies. I've edited my post.

Zakk doesn't own the design therefore he's not owed any royalties. I seem to remember a post or 2 about this on the ZW forum  :D

You can bet that the second the Gibson CS produces a Zakk Guitar, it's trademarked. And that is a FACT.

Duff Beer Man I think there's a template for the bullseye design in the download section of this site. Maybe you could make your own template?

It'd be a lot easier to just tape and mask it off the old-school way...

You can bet that the second the Gibson CS produces a Zakk Guitar, it's trademarked. And that is a FACT.

this is somenthing that ai am considering happening, since they already got PRS in a lawsuit for using the name and design of "singlecut" That's why the PRS singlecut as well as the Tremonti SE were pulled from the shelfs until the lawsuit is done.

But then again it will be Gibson doing it, Zakk is to "nice" to do that to his fans(who else will want a bullseye on a LP than a ZW fan!)

You can bet that the second the Gibson CS produces a Zakk Guitar, it's trademarked.  And that is a FACT.

this is somenthing that ai am considering happening, since they already got PRS in a lawsuit for using the name and design of "singlecut" That's why the PRS singlecut as well as the Tremonti SE were pulled from the shelfs until the lawsuit is done.

But then again it will be Gibson doing it, Zakk is to "nice" to do that to his fans(who else will want a bullseye on a LP than a ZW fan!)

This is getting a little tiring, not to mention off topic, but Zakk doesn't have a problem with FANS enjoying the bullseye design. He'd never say or think a bad thing about a FAN who did that.

The problem is a MERCHANT making money off of him. That's a totally different thing. I just want to point out that the guy selling those decals is stiffing Zakk on every purchase.

You are right and that's what I implied by saying that if somebody complains will be Gibson and not Zakk.

I understand you feeling that Zakks being stiffed, but I see it as if somebody that wants a Zakk looking guitar and don't have the money for a custom paint, will get the benefit from this guys work.

well the problem is not that he is selling bullseyes(let's be real...zakk wylde and gibson did not invent the bullseye and they were not even the first to put bullseyes on products...t-shirts,girl's shorts,etc...)

it is the fact that he is using zakk wylde's name TO sell it...that is illegal i believe,and at the very least bad mojo

but let's not pretend to know what mr. zakk wylde would care or not care about...none of you are him...and none of you are his mother,so really it seems a bit presumptous at the least :DB)

...And back to the topic at hand, I'm gonna be making a replica of the Goldie LP once I get the rest of my workload cleared up...

Change binding from multi-ply to solid, strip and paint body to gold, add in black rings. Refret to 6100 Dunlops...Already got the EMG's, so all I need to do is change the truss rod cover, and I'm golden!

Edited by Fan O' Zakk

Just a note, you can use those sort of kits as a spray mask as well - one thing to beware of is that the Zakk Wylde bullseye isnt just concentric circles, the last ones are more oval to fit in with the shape of the guitar better. I have seen some done with concentric rings and they look wrong as the last circle looks to close to the others at the edges ( I think a weird effect caused by the arch on the body, on a flat top equal rings would probable work out OK ).

I remember The Who having a bullseye SG years ago, not as many rings, and it was red white and blue - was this the earliest bullseye we know of ?

just to put my 2 cents in on this one i remeber back in the good old early 80's twisted sister had one of these bullseye guitars it was black & pink then van halen had one red & white, then stryper had a yellow & black one, so its been used for years & years Zakk wasn't the first just the first black & white one!!!!

Ahh the good ole days :D

Those were Charvel Guitars

if Fact, Wayne still does the Bullseyes

Here

Just a note, you can use those sort of kits as a spray mask as well

It's not a good idea for two reasons...One, it's impossible to lay down the rings perfectly, so you won't get a good, even mask to use...

Two, because of their adhesive properties, you won't get a clean line when you peel the decal/mask off.

Three, the paint, under some circumstances, will start to dissolve the vinyl, which can lead to...problems...

Like I said, the only good way to do this is the right way. Mask off the whole guitar's top, cut out the rings, and use it as a mask from there...

- one thing to beware of is that the Zakk Wylde bullseye isnt just concentric circles, the last ones are more oval to fit in with the shape of the guitar better. I have seen some done with concentric rings and they look wrong as the last circle looks to close to the others at the edges ( I think a weird effect caused by the arch on the body, on a flat top equal rings would probable work out OK ).

You saved it on the last comment. YES, the rings are perfectly round. it's the curvature of the carved top on a LP that makes them appear otherwise.

Since there seems to be a bit of confusion and interest in spraying guitars, here's a quickie little tutorial...thanks to www.blacklabelsociety.net for the pics!

1. Strip all hardware off guitar. Do whatever prep work to the finish of the guitar you desire...Mask neck, sides, and back of guitar. Now, from here, you can either mask the top of the guitar off with several strips of wide masking tape (use the green painters tape...NOT the delicate green, though), or else you can lay down a single sheet of a sticky mask, as in the first picture...

2. Prepare a centering block. This must fit into the bridge pickup cavity without any wiggling, and from there, mark a hole in the exact center of that cavity. Use a standard compass and pencil to trace out the rings...for exact spacing, refer to pictures...using features such as the toggles, pots, pickup, etc., it should be easy to get these precise...

http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/gear/gumby/gumby-prep.jpg

3. Now it's time to cut the mask. Put a #1 exacto pencil knife into the compass, turning the blade perpendicular to the compass. Put the pin end into the block, and use the pencil marks as a guide, holding the razor knife down low and guiding it along...be sure to not press to hard, as deep marks in the guitar's top will make the rings look terrible! Also, try to keep the blade's cutting tip perpendicular to the guitar's top! That'll help ensure clean and easy cuts!

4. Mask off the binding, 'cause you don't wanna include that in your rings!

5. Paint time! Shoot the rings, and then lift off the mask right away! If you did it right, you'll have something like the next picture...if not...well, that's not good. Do any touchup work needed by hand, then clear coat that fiddle!

http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/gear/gumb...mby-painted.jpg

It's probably a good idea to do a dry run on something else to get the feel for doing the masking on this guitar, which is easily the hardest thing to do...I used a toilet seat...that led to...interesting...things happening. :D

Anyhow, hope this was helpful...

-Kev

Edited by Fan O' Zakk

Fan, with the kits of rings I've seen they come with application tape on the top which holds all the rings in the correct places relative to each other, so you dont have to put them on individually. The method in the tutorial seems good but for people who cant be bothered the kits could be a good way instead, either as a mask or just as a non permanant solution.

Dont know why they would react with clear coat as the vinyl is the same as people use on bikes, and they clearcoat over that fine.

I did a similar stencil design years ago for a friend ( just a single logo using a vinyl mask ) I found as long as you spray the colour coat lightly you dont get an edge build up, and the lines were really sharp once the mask was removed.

Can I ask why you bullseyed your toilet seat though as a first project :D was it just there staring at you and you though 'why the hell not?'

p.s. anyone reckon the no doubt guy is a closet :

1) Zakk fan

2) Stryper fan ( spookily close colours )

3)Twisted Sister fan ( someone has to be I suppose ! )

Edited by guitar_junkie

Can I ask why you bullseyed your toilet seat though as a first project  :D was it just there staring at you and you though 'why the hell not?'

Well, I'd thought up the technique for masking, and it seemed to make sense in my head, but I wanted to make sure it worked in reality, as well...I was painting another guitar at the time, and I just had a new lid handy...so I figured "what the heck"

PM me if you wanna hear about how the bullseye lid affair got REALLY interesting!

Edited by Fan O' Zakk

• 1 year later...

I am surprised nobody has come up with frisket kits for specific designs like bullseye, spiral, or Buddy Guy dots. And that's not even talking about designs we haven't even thought of yet). I will also post to the Reranch forum and see of any of them have any ideas.