7 string guitar

i have looked thru all 16 pages and havent found anything useful to me so far but now for my idea ,im thinkin about building a 7 string, mainly because i have access to shop tools at school and i need one for some dream theater covers... im thinking of using either all purpleheart or PHEART/WALNUT... and possibly neck thru, this will be my second and hopefully successful attempt at building a guitar. if anyone could send me some plans for maybe an 80s ibanez universe or something in that style with a neck thru 36 fret neck? i feel stupid cuz i really dont know what to ask, lol

Hey man that sounds like my kind of guitar I love purpleheart an its my signature

wood and I only build 7-string guitars and every one has purpleheart

[iN,ON,OR THROUGH IT] purpleheart has a great deep tone and sustain and that totally go's well with the 7-string sound but a word of waring purpleheart is very hard and very dence and very heavy and will dull the sharpest of tool's and it's not the cheapest wood out there but if your mind is set on it go for it. I would love to see some pics when your done and hey welcome to the forum!! have fun and good luck. B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

you would want to use one of the many fret calculators that are floating around the net to get the measurement for 36 frets.. then slot the fingoerboard yourself. I beleive LMI sells extended fretting templates, but i don't think they go up to 36, might what to ask though.

guitarbuildingtemplates.com sells the templates for an rg/jem which is pretty much the same thing, just leave out the monkey grip, and make the inside of the horns (around the neck) wider. the just use some straight edges to cut the neck or offset your templates for either side. but you'll also have to make some 7 string trem and pickup router templates...

well some people say it's wider, others don't, i think i've seen both on the website.... either way do it wider, then if you think it looks stupid trim it off, always easier to take wood off then to put it back on :D

You CAN do everything! But I doubt it makes much sense to do more frets then 27!

With a 25,5" scale and 24 frets the last frets are already quite small....a little smaller and they become unplayable I think....Just calculate how much difference between the last frets you'll have with that scale and compared it to the distance between the 23th and 24th on a standard Ibanez. I would make smaller fret distances then that....

and make the inside of the horns (around the neck) wider.

Not even that is neccessary! As far as I know the Jem and the UV body are identical. I did it that way on my 7-string and the neck is perfectly accesable.

My 93 Green Meanie Universe with the maple neck. was nearly a 1/4 inch bigger all the way around on the body than the 96 777vwh which i took a mold from for my fiberglass jem which was stolen