Randy Rhoads Les Paul

My RR V kinda went bust

I put strings on it, tuned it up, played a bit, had a decent sound, but went kinda outta tune, so tuned it up again, again, went outta tune

So, thought struck me, check sclae length

brace yourself

From the nut to the 12th fret, 13 inches

total of 26 inches

scale length out half an inch

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I decided to use all the hardware, since its still brand new, and build a Les Paul with it, my friend has built a Les Paul from scratch, so he is hookin me up with the template he used, all i gotta do for him is give him 10 bucks for the Marshall Stack fund

but, the kicker is, I want a RR Les Paul (his pale yellow guitar) and since i dont got enough money to buy one

I am going to use my new works shop and laminate a mahogany back with ash/alder top with my Seymour dunca 59's and the gold TOM

BUT

I need a real good picture of his RR, the only one i got you can only see a tiny bit

and any other info, i been searching but with no avail

Thanks alot

Curtis

Well, i am not completly sure how it happened, i think that because its a different neck (messed up the first one) that it threw the scale length off

But, to be honest, I wasnt too proud of the body, the neck was pretty good, the body sucked hardcore, the pickup routes, although not sloppy, just pretty ugly, same with the control cavity

Curtis

Edit

The only pic I have found of the guitar is this one here(I actually linked to it!!!)

Curtis

If you have had trouble with measuring scale length and positioning the bridge, you should reconsider building a carved top, set neck guitar.

Perry

The only reason it got messed up is because i had built a different neck, and the thought of scale length slipped my mind when i built it

If my first neck would not have turned out horrible, then it would have worked great

RGGR thanks for the links!! those are exactly what I was looking for!!

Drak, hahah yea link some pics!! i bet its better then mine!!

Curtis

So, thought struck me, check sclae length

brace yourself

From the nut to the 12th fret, 13 inches

total of 26 inches

scale length out half an inch

I don't understand the problem; just because the scale length is not what you intended, why would that make the guitar go "out of tune"? Do you mean that it didn't intonate properly in the first place?

If you really do have a true 26" scale (i.e. all the frets are in the right place), then just move your bridge and you should be fine. But maybe you can't because its a V....? I dunno, there's always something you can do; maybe have the bridge straddle the "V" and turn it into a baritone.

BTW, unless you're going for authenticity, you could always go with a bolt-on neck for the LP.

If you have had trouble with measuring scale length and positioning the bridge, you should reconsider building a carved top, set neck guitar.

If I used that philosophy I'd still be sitting in my mother's basement playing with lincoln logs. If at first you don't succeed... give up. :D

Like everyone else I screw up, I learn from it and move on to better things. With a defeatist attitude like that we'd all still be banging on hollow stumps. Give the kid a break, help him learn and just maybe he'll be teaching you some tricks in a few years. B)

I think you misunderstand Perry. He's saying that the logical responce to failing at something is not to try again with another, far more complex project. You merely set yourself up for another, more elaborate failure.

Try again with the the first project. Move the bridge, or do evrything over with until it's perfect. When you've got the basics down then step up to the more involved stuff.

I understand Perry, I just don't agree.

I guess I've never been afraid to dive in over my head. If I feel I learned my lesson from my first screw up I'm ready to jump in to something else I can screw up rather than stay with something "safe". I would rather push myself to the next level and face failure than only do the things I know I can do.

The middle link, my friend has that book, thats where i fell in love with the guitar, but now he aint in my school, and i cant get ahold of him

Curtis

I guess I've never been afraid to dive in over my head. If I feel I learned my lesson from my first screw up I'm ready to jump in to something else I can screw up rather than stay with something "safe". I would rather push myself to the next level and face failure than only do the things I know I can do.

I very much disagree with your attitude.

I'd say that instead of diving in over your head and failing, possibly messing up someone else's plans by not doing your part, and becoming very unreliable, it's a better idea to "lift your head before you dive in". Not sticking to what you've proven you can do, but making sure you will not fail when you attempt something new. It's really not that difficult.

Whoa, where did that come from? You're making an awful lot of assumptions that just aren't backed by fact.

Just whose plans am I messing up? Are you mistaking me for someone who could even remotely be called professional? I am not in the business of selling guitars and have no plans to do so. If I were that would be a different story. I would then make sure that I could fill the order with a quality product as I have in the past in different mediums. Even when I was selling my product I would push the limits on my own time to further the art. This is called growth and should not be feared. See what I mean? When a product is for sale I aim for perfection but I will never give up trying to push myself for fear of "failure". Some of my best work is the result of what I have learned from failure. Look at the R&D dept of any business and you will find racks full of "failures".

I never said I was diving in blind. In fact I said "If I feel I learned my lesson from my first screw up". Everyone here has jumped in over their head when they first start. And like most everyone here I have spent a great deal of time researching and planning. I will admit that I don't know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will not fail, what fun is that? I don't set myself up for failure but I don't fear it either. While I have yet to use the wall of death I am perfectly willing to face it if need be. Pushing the limits is basic human nature but some are willing to push a little further than is considered safe by others.

No, "it's really not that difficult" when you ignore the written word and run with assumptions.

I should perhaps have noted that by "you" and "your", in the second paragraph of my most recent reply before this one, I was not referring to you, JPL, but you as in just about anyone. As in a statement like "You just don't go out and kill someone". My second paragraph was not directed at JPL specifically, but anyone, and not in the narrow perspective that JPL interpreted it as, but in a much wider perspective.

Now, to go on with the debate (I do sadly have a very difficult time letting something drop if I feel like I have something to say), I completely agree that growth should not be feared. However, I think that a lot of people make the same mistakes as someone else already did, only because they think "hey I can do that" and they try, and they fail. I find it to be a waste of useful time, and useful resources, to jump into things without properly assessing (spelling?) your chances of success.

And, as a response to your words about assumptions; the way *I* see it, you made some quite reasonable assumptions about what I meant, because I did not express myself properly. I would not agree that I made assumptions about you, but I can easily see how you took it that way.

For my unclear reply, I do apoligize.

For my choice to post the OT reply I posted, I do apoligize.

Now, I would hope this thread could return to the topic, because it doesn't feel to good to know I helped hijack it. For that too, I apoligize.

It may be worth noting, however, that I still stand by my opinion in the issue at hand.

OK, my friend has a Les Paul, it dont work, its really custmoized, built in effects, the works, no nut or strings though, and he wont be getting them soon, sooooo

I got to borrow it for a week or two, so thats how I am going to get the outline, line up the pickups, and such

BUT

It is not a true Les Paul, its got a bolt on neck, so I Am going to do another bolt on neck

This time, I will get the scale length right

This time, I will shape the neck better

and finally

This time, it will be playable!!

Start getting wood in bout a week!

Curtis

Isn't that guitar on the left in the photo the ES335 of your Dad's you talked about awhile back? Or am senile? B) I like it!

Every detail on every build should get you 1 step closer to being able to consistently make a great guitar I would think.

Good luck on the Les Paul. :D

Yep, thats his, well, mine now, its a lefty that one day i will convert into a righty, or just switch the strings around, not sure yet!!

Thanks for the kind words

Borrowed Les Paul today, my oh my it feels great in a strap, hangs way nicer then my washburn or my V did

Curtis

OK, got some updates

I have made a template for the body, with the carve top, I am planing on a semi-deep carve, about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, the body will be about 2 inches thick

I am still undecided on wood, Its between Mahogany with Maple neck or Walnut with mahogany neck (figure it will have a semi-bright sound, correct me if I am wrong though)

The neck, I have started the template, but its not finished yet, and I am doing a fretting template too (to mark where the frets go) and it will be a long time template indeed

I am also decided to go with just 2 volumes once again, no toggle switch, so it wont be an exact replica, and I am going to send the body out (with about 10 peices of 4x4 scrap wood) to my friends uncle who does wood carving, and I am going to get him to carve a gremlin tearing out of the wood, so it will be my own little "thing" should look pretty cool

Curtis