Acylic Or Poly Over Nitro?

BassGod

• 2 years later...

I have the same question, so instead of making a new topic I'll just bump this old one up to the top...

I found the exact color I want for my guitar at Reranch, so it's a spray nitro. But I'd like a poly clear coat (the 2-part automotive poly), because I don't want it to yellow and I'm doing clear poly on the neck anyway. Is that ok? I don't mind a long cure time before the poly, but how long?. And does it make a difference that the nitro I'm using is only the color coat, not clear?

you will run into issues...

they expand and contract with the humidity in the air at different rates...

if you want your finish to age then its ok.

ive done it and had no problems. you can use other kinds of paint on laquer, but not laquer on others becuase laquer fuses with the prime or basecoat.

get the color you want and have it mixed in poly, with todays color matching computers you are guaranteed a almost perfect if not perfect match, I used to use DEFT and after using both Bethlen nitro and 2 part poly I will never go back. The difference is day and night in both finish and durability.