Copy Of My First Guitar

PerryL

With a bolt-on neck and deep cut-outs, you might have a problem with too little wood to get the neck bending loads into the body around a thru-the-body pickup route. With a set neck you'd have the full thickness of the body to transfer the load from the neck, to go around the hole.

You might be able to reinforce around the neck. A couple times, I've seen pics of a guitar with the treble side cut-out extends all the way under the neck... the strings have nothing behind them but air. I got the impression that the bass side of the body had been reinforced with carbon fiber.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of what I thought As well, but reinforcing the body to support the route seems like more work than this thing deserves. I wanted it to be a "Throw Together" guitar without extreme amounts of work but Lotsa Style. The first one I built was when I was really learning how to build one and I was kind of affraid to experiment since I was so green. Now that I'm older I'd like to experiment a little more BUT....Logic keeps me from using any methods that might be less beneficial to the design and more time consuming. That's why I love this forum so much, some of the younger more green builders can teach you a thing or two, Huh? Obviously, I don't mean you Tirapop because I don't know how old you are but Just in general. anyhoo, I guess I stick to tried and true methods.

I worked on the X2 today got a little bit done in case anyones Interested. Drilled the bridge post holes and control cavity with a 2 1/8 Forstner bit and the back string ferrules but as I've still not found any front ones it may just stay with the strings coming right outta the body. The output jack hole and the pickup cavity are the only remaining Hard work and then it's off to finishing. x2-10-20-04.JPG

x2bak-10-20-04.JPG

what kind of electronics are you having? i pickup and 1 volume? and what kind of neak? pointy headstock? i think 2 pickups a 3way switch and 1 volume would be really cool. 1 pickup and 1 volume would be amazing too, keep it simple. and maybe stain it dark brown with all gold hardware? that guitar would look amazing with a natural finish.

i cant wait to see it once its done!

later on

My initial thoughts were to keep it 1 pickup and Master Volume. I want to keep it simple also but I may build another one in Mahogany with 2 Pickups, Master Volume and 3 way LesPaul Style Pickup Selector. The neck is a Jackson style that was on the original 1st Build, Rosewood Fretboard and No locking Nut. The Finish is gonna be Cayman Green Auto Lacquer, Really Dark. I decided since it's Poplar to paint it a solid color since the wood isn't figured too well. Oh, The TunaMatic is Gold but the tuners are gonna be chrome because I'm a tightwad and don't wanna spring for new Gold Tuners. Ha.

It may happen but........we'll see.

Edited by PerryL

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!! looks good sofar, I like the electronics cavity it's tight and clean.

!!Good work!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

I'm calling this part the Devil's Bowtie. It's an Idea I had for the strings to come thru instead of ferrules. Originally, I didn't wanna use a lot of the top for ornamentation but

Good idea I was going to try that as well but I never got around to it any way will you be useing metal or wood for this one. If you do use metal I think that the guitar would look best with black paint and you could do a stainless steel look I think it would add to that tough look but just an idea

!!METAL MATT!! :D

My first thoughts were picking up some Brass sheeting, and forming the edges with a 45 degree around the sides and dimpled holes at the string thru holes. I may change that to aluminum and have it Gold anodized. The body is gonna be black Lacquer. I'm still trying to work out how to paint it with diamond shapes on top by spraying thru that diamond pierced decorative sheeting.

Edited by PerryL

I agree with you guyz but the bindings gotta go since I'm rubbish at Binding.

Gold Anodized Aluminum on Black. The bridge is Gold and I wanna find some tuners that I'm happy with in gold as well. I was gonna use the neck from the

guitar this ones based on but I had the idea to make another neck for it since I have all the wood and the truss rod and fingerboard for 1 more neck.

I kinda agree with ya Maiden69 But.....I don't wanna use rear ferrules and Can't bring myself to set rivets thru there to have the strings come thru.

I am gonna try it and IF it doesn't look right, I'll go the other route of using some kinda ferrules. I thought Like you did at first also.

You don't have to use the ribets or even ferrules, one idea I have been conntemplating because of that, once I mock the rear ferrules in, I thoguht about getting SSteel tubing, measuring from the rear ferrule to the top and then glue them in and sand flush up front, paint over them and thats it. you can even round it or flare it so that it wont have a sharp edge and don't cut the string.

well I had sugested this for your flying-v but I still think it would wook well with this guitar [press fit tuner bushings I have used them before on one of my flying-V's and they work and look great!! but may find them a bit to large now something else i've done is i've used those sewing ferrules there the exact same thing but much smaller I think you can get them in most any sise and color] you can find the press fit tuner bushings at www.stewmac.com

and you can get the sewing ferrules at any sewing store.

mkgSB_950thestringiused.jpg

Hear I found a pic of a guiutar that uses the same stringthru idea as the sewing ferrules I think it looks good the press fit tuner bushings look the same but larger

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!