PIEZO! FOR GOD'S SAkE!

MKGBass

PIEZO! WHAT IS IT?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm sick of hearing all sorts of different ways to say it, I want to know, once and for all, what's correct, or how you say it...

I say "pee-yay-zo" I think its Italian? Then the absolute correct way to say it would be "pee-yay-tso"

Paul Reed Smith says "Pie-zo" like a piece of mmm...pie

I have a friend who says "Pie-zio" which im sure is incorrect...what is it?

• 4 weeks later...

I say pee-zo and that's it!! HAH!! Linguistics has tought me that as long is the term is understood, it's grammatically correct, so booyah!!

Note: I am an english major.

As long as you understand your intolerance is intolerable!!!

But, then, my intolerance of your intolerance is... GAH!!

*Head explosion*

Ok... we'll settle it once and for all.

It's pronounced 42.

My stepfather used to repair TV's for a living. He, as well as every other electrician I have heard (in the US anyway) pronounces it "pie-zo." Thus, it seems to be that the most common and most understood pronunciation here in the states would be "pie-zo." That may not be the "proper" pronunciation, but that is the American-ized version, I guess.

Even the dictionaries can't agree. American Heritage says the pronunciation is "pie-ee-zo" while Websters says it is "pee-ay-zo." Go figure.

Edited by Primal

wonder, but exists one translation for the word piezo? piezo, in Italian it is an abbreviating one of piezoelectric, therefore it could also be that translation does not exist. (always if I have picked the sense of the argument if it were not cosi you excuse to me)

In Italian, what does the "piezo" in "piezoelectric" mean? There has to be a translation for "piezo" because "piezoelectric" does not simply translate to "electric". Does this make sense?

wonder, but exists one translation for the word piezo?  piezo, in Italian it is an abbreviating one of piezoelectric, therefore it could also be that translation does not exist.  (always if I have picked the sense of the argument if it were not cosi you excuse to me)

If you read the first page of this discussion, you'll see that i already confirmed its etymology as being derived from the Greek: piezein "to press". (according to Merriam-Webster's dictionary at m-w.com)