Size Of Stew Mac Hot Rod Truss Rod Channel

Hi,

I've just started my first guitar from scratch and this site has been the inspiration that got me building. I feel like I'm at a critical point right now and I don't want to mess it up.

The Hot Rod truss rods from Stew Mac claim to need a 7/32" channel. I have 1/4" router bits, but I do not have a 7/32" bit nor can I find them at the local hardware stores. I know that Stew Mac also sells a special router bit for this purpose but I'm trying to keep the cost down on my first build. A google search told me that a few people just use a 1/4" channel and "pad" the rod to prevent rattle. Can someone verify that this is OK to do? And if so, what should I use to pad the rod (Silicon?)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to Whiteside Router Bits. There are several 7/32 bits in their catalogue...solid carbide straight bits to spiral upcut bits. I don't believe that it is possible to order directly from them, but I'm sure that somewhere on the internet there is a site by which they may be ordered. If you can't find one on the net....let me know. there is a dealer locally that I can set you up with. Don't buy the bit from Stew-Mac.....Generally the carbide that is used in their bits is of lesser quality. The Whitesides are USA made.

http://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/catalog/CatalogHome.asp

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/s...9778900_30048+1

hmm...I use a 1/4" channel with no problem whatsoever. It doesn't seem like the will shift at all, but I do put silicon around the nuts. You're only talking 1/32" difference. If you used a 1/8" bit and did multiple passes it seems to me it'd be very easy to go at least 1/32" over on accident. Obviously, the 7/32" is the best option, though.

Generally the carbide that is used in their bits is of lesser quality.

What type of carbide do they use? For future reference, what is considered the better type?

I am no expert on router bits but I do like their 3/8" pattern bits a lot. I have not noticed any deficiency in quality but then again I'm not sure I would. Is it that they don't hold up as good as a standard quality bit or do they break more easily?

Like almost anything else, carbide, used in tooling comes in different grades. The less costly router bits, obviously, use lesser grade carbide. Most of Stew-Mac's router bits are manufactured overseas (most likely Taiwan).....I've bought their router bits and have found them to be of inferior quality to Whiteside or Amana or American-Carbide or several other makers. If you use the bits that Stew-Mac offers more than just a few times, you will notice the difference. The bearings that are used in the Stew-Macbits are also faily useless. For a one time use, you may not notice the difference, maybe even the second or third use, but in an industrial or commercial application the difference is astounding.

In general terms, buy the best quality that you can afford, if you don't, you'll end up buying the bits again and again. The funny part is that the Whiteside bits are not any more expensive and more often than not, cheaper than Stew-Mac bits. The S-M bit for their HotRod truss rod is @$19.50 vs a Whiteside 7/32 at @$13.50.

I have found LMI's bits far better than Stew-Mac's. Remember that these bits are manufactured to the specs of the retailer for the express purpose of resale to a, more or less, hobbyist consumer that may never need to use that bit again. But, for nearly the same price, and in many cases less, a Whiteside bit will far outlast the "generic" Stew-Mac bit.

Freud makes a decent router bit and they are available at many outlets. If you spend a little more time seeking out high quality, you won't be sorry.

I got the "Plywood Bit Set" from Grizzly. It comes with 3 bits, carbide tipped, in a wooden box. One of the 3 is a 7/32" bit. It's $12.95 for the set. I also got my 3/4" radius bit from Grizzly too. They are excellent quality. I used the 7/32" bit for my Hot Rod truss rod. Highly recommended bits. You can see the quality of the cuts on my project guitar at:

www.downinfrontht.com

Dave

Ha ha, if you want chinese router bits, you can get the toolshop brand from Menards. 6 bits for $6! That's a bit cheaper than Stew-Mac. LOL They even come with a two year warranty. I saved my receipt. :D When they get dull after two guitars, I'm taking them back and getting new ones for free.

Edited by javacody

just my opinion but router bits are not the place to skimp on quality.30,000 rpm sure does send those little pieces of metal flying out fast.

i had a cheap bit hang up and it bent the shaft and nearly threw the router out of my hands,all because the bit was dull.brand new out of the box dull

I had two cheap bits break in one try routing a truss rod slot. First off, my depth was way too deep for one pass, and I didn't hog out anything with the forstner bits. That neck got screwed up anyway, because not only did the bits break, the edge guide had a nut that slipped from where it was supposed to be and basically royally screwed everything up. That's why I used a $3 piece of maple :D. Anyway, the wierd thing is that when the bits broke it really didn't do anything. People always talk about how catastrophic bits breaking can be, but one of them broke, and flew right into my arm. It hurt a little bit, but it was just a little shock. No bruising, no nothing, and I shook it off in about 30 seconds.