Progress Of My Jem Style Guitar

JemNewPics3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...JemNewPics2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...JemNewPics1.jpg

newest pics, only ones i can get that were decent

Curtis

edit, i should add, that the neck, that line at the bottom is where it has to be cut off for the length, and i aint happy with how the strings come through the body in a straight line, but they work for now, maybe i will angle them along with the bridge angle

Curtis

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i am almost finished my chair in wood shop, so i guess i will be finishing the guitar as a project, is there anything that i should do before i take the body in to route?? the neck i will be routing, cutting out, shapping, and attaching the fingerboard, i will be doing all the assembly at home

Curtis

• 4 weeks later...
Looks good.  The upper cutaway looks a little too thick though.  The lower one looks accurate.

yea, hes got a point about the upper cut-away, and remember, the bottom cutaway has to be...how dya say it... :D it has to be sharp, well it just shouldnt be curvy, just make sure it aint curvy :D

yea, but the upper cutaway is definately a lil to thick

but other than that its fine

btw, what bridge are you installing for this jem?

TOM bridge

JemNeck7.jpg

picture as promised ^^^

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...ar/JemNeck4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/cur...tar/JemNeck.jpg

OK, specs of the neck, not finished!! lol

maple neck with scarf joint maple headstock, ken lawarnence style, GOTOH mini machine heads, the neck still needs tons of sanding, i just through the pegs on to see what it would look like and thought i would snap a pic or 2

What yea think?

Curtis

QUOTE(CudBucket @ Apr 6 2005, 02:08 PM)

Looks good.  The upper cutaway looks a little too thick though.  The lower one looks accurate.

yea, hes got a point about the upper cut-away, and remember, the bottom cutaway has to be...how dya say it...  it has to be sharp, well it just shouldnt be curvy, just make sure it aint curvy

yea, but the upper cutaway is definately a lil to thick

I think your both on cheap crack, i used an Ibanez Jem template and everything seems to be dead eye

Curtis

Guest AlexVDL

Did you use the jem drawing from the download section? The first one on the top at the dwg section? Because that body contour is off :D

Sorry bro but they're right, it doesn't look like an RG of Jem.. but hey, now it's your own model :D

I hate to be a bummer, but it looks like those machine heads are too close to the edge of the headstock. Also, it might be a trick of the photographing angle or the grain pattern, but it seems a bit skewed toward the right.

No cheap crack here.  My eyes are good and your RG body is off.  Plus your G string is going to rub on the B string tuner. 

Just say "No" to drugs.

Now, I know my ms paint skills aren't very good, but at least a straight line is a straight line LOL!!!!

I think he'll JUST sneak by with the G string, the string spacing of course on my drawing isn't quite right, but it looks like he'll JUST make it.

JemNeck7.jpg

Oh and Curtis, Since the beginning, I've thought that upper horn looked way to thick, I just figured you were doing it purposely.

Well, if you're doing an RG, then I assume you'd want to copy the body correctly. Of course, there's nothing wrong with it the way it is. As far as the tuner is concerned, looks like the string will make it but the spacing will not match the other strings.

I just think the attitude in the "crack" remark was unnecessary. If you don't wan't to get opinions, don't post your stuff. You may not want them, but if you post pics, you're gonna get them.

personally I like the look of the horm being fatter. But I dont like the headstock. It kinda looks like it's retarted :D It's too scewed to the right.

But than It's YOUR guitar and you do what you want. It doesent really matter what other people like if your building it for yourself.

And you did drill too close to the edge of the headstock and you might have some real problems with that. I would segest a nice dowel and redrill those holes. Mabye take a rasp to the headstock while your at it?

Also when you do put your tuners in I would sugest making them all strait. Like 90 degrees from the center like. It looks much more clean and professional that way. It looks kinda clutted with them all sticking out in weird directions.

Edited by Godin SD

well, I don't really agree with some stuff being said.

First of all, yeah, the tuners are close to the edge, but it's not going to create any problems, your strings will clear, that's all that is really important, it's not like it's going to break through. The only place you might hate it is if the washers overhang the edge at all, but I don't think they will.

Personally I quite like the headstock shape, I don't like it with a JEM shaped body, but the headstock shape itself is pretty cool IMO. The only real complaint I have is it looks like your A tuner is much closer to the D than it is to the E.

As for the tuners angle, I don't agree with 90 degree's to the centerline, that never looks good, I try to make them perpendicular to the side of the headstock they are on, this means they won't necessarily all be the same angle, but it looks better when they are 90* to the edge they are mounted to. Especially from the front. PRS follows the headstock contour, Strat and tele headstocks all have tuners 90* to the edge, Ibanez, Jackson etc, all 90* to the edge.

But that's just my thoughts, YMMV

thanks for all the replies, i wasnt expecting this many, ok, sorry bout the cheap crack comment, it was outta line, i am sorry for it

As for the tuner deal, long story....

I had marked everything so it was semi straight, but a small curve, and when i started drilling, it moved over to the edge closer, and that realy ticked me off, I suppose i can use a dowel and redrill everything, but i actually like the way it looks, and like Jermey said, its not like its going to break off or anything, so before i finish the guitar and have everything in to "test" it, i will see how the tuners perform that close to the edge.

As for the template, I aint sure which one i used, i know it was a Jem template made by AlexVDL, i actually really like the look of it, so, if you dont, its not you playing it, is it?? (no offence or anything to anyone who is easily offended)

Curtis

Guest AlexVDL
As for the template, I aint sure which one i used, i know it was a Jem template made by AlexVDL

No it aint... trust me I know what I've drawn :D

Your looks exactly like the first drawing on the DWG page of the download section. That's not mine! My jem files are:

jemrearaanj2D.dwg

jemrearaanj3D.dwg

jemfrontaanj2D.dwg

jemfrontaanj3D.dwg

None of those look like your guitar, sorry :D

ahh, i see, i dont even have the file anymore, so, i didnt know for sure

No progress, i have to get a router bit, dang school said they had one, but they dont, and now i have to spend 25 bucks i dont have for it (thank god for visa!!)

Curtis

OK, I am going to hopefully buying my router bit tommorow at lunch and then i can route out the rody, finally!!

I have a few concerns about the neck pocket though, so, here they are

I know basswood is not the strongest wood out there, and I dont want the neck pocket screws to eventually strip and pull out, probaly wont happen anyways, but it will make me sleep better at night knowin nothin will happen to my baby!!

If I put in inserts, how much of an advantage do I have over just screwin the neck in?? if any advantage??

Do I have to use the metal plate at the back like my strat copy has?? I seen lots of guitars without it, but I like ot be on the safe side...

Thats it for now, thnaks!!!

Curtis

Nice pics!! The headstock tuner issue in the end wont be a big deal. If you need to dowl them up and re-drill, no sweat, it just means more experience for you, right??

I would definetly buy some neck mounting ferrules They come in packs of 12 from Stewmac and are a necessity, I think. Im sure there is some readily available substitute that I am not familiar with, but if you plan on keeping the neck joint sturdy for years to come, I say why not go that extra mile.