My Guitar, As Shameful As It Is.

cheers guys, i have slapped myself on the back already, perhaps too much, and making blunders like the neck pocket slaps you back to reality! the plan with the block is, two screws will go through that into the neck, another two through the body into the neck and two just into the body. hopefully that many screws will clamp the neck in place against the plate and should be bloody tight.

gibson headstock would look good , but such a curved and gothic style body needs a special headstock... and here it is.

http://deadmike.150m.com/page_6.htm

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man look's like it came out well how are you going to finish it are you going to sand it all down then repaint it or are you going to sand it down and just leave it??

!!METAL MATT!! :D

can't really see it that well but it looks pretty pointy mr. pointy mcpointer who points pointy objects in a pointy mannor to prove a point. :D

-Jamie

yeah when i showed it to my girlfriend she said "oh great, youve turned the guitar into a weapon" she thought that was funny, but i thought ... cooooll :D

i dont know about the painting, i need to read up some more but i was hoping just to sand the altered areas flat and re-do them to blend with rest of the neck. im not sure if i CAN do that, got to hit the books.

Hey man I think that the best way you could do it would be to sand it all down then put on some filler sand that so that it's all even then do some pant and some wet sanding and then some clear coat and some more wet sanding and then some buffing and your set B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

bloody hell! sounds like a lot of work. so i couldnt just bung some paint on it and then some varnish?

HAHAHA :D you think that's going to be alot of work just wait till you paint your guitar body now theres a pain in the ass :D

with the headstock you could get away with doing it like that it could come out well

and Ya know for the body paint what may look cool is black primer just black primer I think that would look deadly!!

!!METAL MATT!! B)

i was going try some kind of matt black on a test piece and compare it to a another with a varnish to see if theres any difference. i.e. if the matt somehow still stays more matt than gloss with varnish

if you get my drift? i dunno, i'll have buy a loads of paints and test them out. regardless of what i use, it'll be black!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The painting has commenced... scotland finally had a couple of days of dry warm weather in which to spray in!

im completely out of my depth and have read up alot about different spraying methods and paint types. i went with car spray paint, being was the most accessable.

tips and comments are greatly recieved at this junction!!!

http://deadmike.150m.com/page_8.htm

also... this might sound barmy, but in my book it recommends that when using a two part paint to leave the guitar to air for two weeks until the "smell" of the solvent is gone. does this apply to car spray paint? i dont want to leave my guitar in the shed for any great length of time. but i dont want to have dangerous chemicals stinking up the house... advice on the can says nothing about this other than "dont inhale when spraying"?

also... this might sound barmy, but in my book it recommends that when using a two part paint to leave the guitar to air for two weeks until the "smell" of the solvent is gone. does this apply to car spray paint? i dont want to leave my guitar in the shed for any great length of time. but i dont want to have dangerous chemicals stinking up the house... advice on the can says nothing about this other than "dont inhale when spraying"?

The smell lingers for a while yeah --on mine, it took a good month to pass the 'sniff test'. But I was able to move it indoors into a closet after a day or so, you really had to put your nose right up to it to smell the solvent. And there it sat for a good month. I never noticed any fumes permeating the place...of course, new carpets give off tons of solvents and other nasty things...so do parquet floors...heck, just about everything in your house is emitting tons of chemicals, so the guitar will only be part of a general cocktail .

• 4 weeks later...

NICE!! :D glade to see your geting close I cant wait to see it all done man.

thanks matt, but i was hoping to have it finished by monday, but no joy.

the finish is complete, ive spent the last month sanding/spraying/sanding/spraying....

only to be going round in circles, all i was getting was bubbles and pitting. there seemed no way to avoid it. its not great... but it'll just have to do.

the electronics will be fitted this sunday, knowing this project, something will go wrong.

today i was putting in the machine heads onto the neck.... disaster... the cheapo machine heads have two fitting screws and sit VERY flush together, the point where the 3rd and 4th pegs sit in the middle of the headstock doesnt work. there too close.

i'll either have to re-drill the holes (no chance)

file down the machine heads (thats crazy)

buy smaller heads (most likely)

scrap the neck (are you mental?)

or find some way to place the 3rd and 4th... squint, so they fit in (laughable)

it'll be a rediculous bodge, i dunno what to do, back to ebay i suppose.... :D

I've heard about guys building a wooden box with a lightbulb and a little fan in it. Its a drying box and helps paint cure. You'd want to wait until the paint was dry to the touch and then finish it up in the box.

indeed thats a great idea and those pegs would compliment the build, but im completely restrained by cost!

the only pegs i can afford are whats going cheap on ebay. ive done some measurements from pegs i have on another guitar and those round pegs you get with the one screw hole will fit nicely!

thanks or the idea though, i'll certainly look out for those.

Haha, funny I should stumble upon this thread. Jerry Only's daughter is actually my brothers girlfriend. She's at my house right now. Anyway, I don't have any input into the processes involved here; i'm trying to learn how to make my own guitar myself. Good luck with finishing the Annihilator though. It's lookin' good.

bloody hell willin!! can i be your best pal? jerry is my f*kkin hero!! if only i could marry his daughter i could be jerry's son in law and i could replace him in the misfits in 10 years time (or so) like an apprentice!

ok, i'll stop dreaming now. :D

hey willin, if you could (i know im asking A HUGE FAVOUR) but do you think you could find out if :

1) jerry and/or doyle would/do approve of this fans build? coz i know they dont like rip-offs....

2) any tips they might be able to give me?

id give my left testicle to get in touch with them.

as for you, building your own guitar is incredibly rewarding even if your crap at it like me, its alot of fun and you should just go for it! im sure jerry will let you use the shop!