Who Plays With The Most Soul

bigdguitars

Who Plays with the most soul in the music?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you mean raw, churning, gut-wrenching, bowel-heaving, hair-splitting, rip-your-lungs-out-and-blow-your-fuze emotional playing, then:

1) Buddy Guy.

In his prime, Buddy would SLAY anyone on your list.

Buddy in the '60's, early '70's was an -insane- guitar player. Buddy played SRV style before SRV was even BORN.

2) Albert Collins.

Albert has as much soul in his playing as you'll ever hear, his personality comes out directly thru his guitar. Albert wasn't just a guy who played guitar, he literally came out thru the instrument. You could never see a picture of Albert Collins in your life, but if you listened to his records, you'd already know exactly what he looked like, what he was like as a person.

Albert Collins was like a force of nature all by himself (and his Telecaster, hehehe)

3) Roy Buchanan.

My personal favorite guitar player of all time. No white boy ever played with more emotion than Roy. He had evil devils and blessed angels all inside him and had to let them out every so often.

4) Guitar Slim (aka Eddie Jones).

Eddie was another psychotically insane player.

Eddie Jones would bend and twist a P-90 pkp to sound like lightening just hit you in the freaking head and killed you. Eddie Jones is like T-Bone Walker on Crack.

5) Coco Montoya.

Coco absolutely kills me with the soulfulness of his playing and singing.

Coco is the classy player in this bunch. VERY Soulful.

6) Magic Sam.

Holy Sh*t. Go buy West Side Soul and you tell me. :D

I've listened to all these guys; they all have tons of soul, but Stevie let it pour out faster in a way that did not sound contrived.

Until a few years ago I never thought much of Clapton as a player, because all I'd heard was his studio recordings. Then saw him live and went "Oh.....my......goodness......" He and Stevie are on the same plane.

Yea I didn't just want to include old blues guys had to make it somewhat poplar. Magic sam in great.

I forgot to put on the list guitar slim and tbone, though not sure tbone was so soul full. Hopkins has a lot of soul very good stuff.

Guitar slim was wild, did some crazy stuff on stage.

Even though willie dixon was not a player per say, he had almost all of the songs written.

Any of you guys have folk singer by muddy waters? Its one of the best blues discs out there. its buddy willie and muddy all acoustics. unreal stuff.

I would pay -big- dollars to hear T-Bone and Guitar Slim on the same song, that would be a complete riot.

T-Bone singing and playing in his laid-back, languid style, then when it's time for a solo Eddie comes in and rips the walls down with his raw ferocity, God I'd love to hear that pair!

Reason I pair them up is because they both had that mid-late 40's fat sexy big band horn sections backing them up, if you listen to their records, the backup bands sound (timewise) very similar.

Most of the other guys listed had more of a normal 4-6 piece type of band without the big horn backups.

I always wonder why it's blues guys that play "with soul". Since I don't buy the concept of "soul", I prefer to call it "expression". I just finished watching the Martin Scorcese Blues DVD set, and yes, these cats are all expressive. But I don't believe a scrunched face with a bent note is necessarily any more expressive than a swept arpeggio in the right place, or a hammered triplet, or a whammy trick. It's all about placement.

So I vote for Hendrix and Van Halen. Maybe Randy Rhoads.

Actually, I agree with you.

There are a lot of shredders that are far more technical and really lack in the feeling dept., but not all of them can be classed like that, and I agree, Randy Rhoads was as expressional in his venue of music as any blues guy. His playing moves me as much as any of the heavyweight blues guys, point taken.

Therefore, (:D ) ...I will have to add to my list Strunz and Farah, and Young and Rollins, 2 flamenco acoustic duos that are as brimming with feeling and soul and emotion as Albert Collins or Randy Rhoads.