Project Kramer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the tuner were i had chipped a piece of wood off?

I think I was pretty explicit about which tuner I meant. You know what the high E string is right?

The high e-tuner is too close to the area where the neck shaft blends into the headstock. The tuner body will be overhanging the curved area of the head, and there will be nowhere for the anti-rotation screw to screw into.

The anti-rotation screw fits fine also, have a look.

Have a look *through* the headstock? :D

Looks like the grovers would work, since they have an offset screw. Still, I think you dodged a bullet. Won't be an issue if you put your plans on paper before you drill holes or make sawdust...

The anti-rotation screw fits fine also, have a look.

Have a look *through* the headstock? B)

Looks like the grovers would work, since they have an offset screw. Still, I think you dodged a bullet. Won't be an issue if you put your plans on paper before you drill holes or make sawdust...

:D

Dont worry, i thought about it. After all im not *that* stupid :D

Thanks for bringing it up tho!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool thanks, no pics though. My moms camera isnt working B)

Anyways, i got the Grover mini-tuners and everything fits well. Very tight though. The nut for the strings fell off when i was fitting the tuners so then i had to glue that back. What a pain in the ass to get it to sit straight again :D .

I was thinking of doing a ford blue color with a white racing stripe, or 2 little ones going from the neck to the strap pin. I'm not sure about the paintjob yet still. Im outta ideas.

OH YEA!, guess what this damn body is made out of. PLYWOOD. Do you belive it? Jees, i was so pissed when i stripped the paint off the side, and theres about 8 layers of 2 different color woods stacked and glue ontop of each other for the body :D . And its supposed to be a alder body...yea bull-sh*t false advertising.

Yea anyways, i had to also bend the in-put jack because it was off a saga kit(like everything else on this guitar :D ) and it worked real well. It fits like a dream.

Thats all for now, but i HOPE to fix my mom's camera because im acually doing good on this one, not like my other projects :D

Later guys,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
OH YEA!, guess what this damn body is made out of. PLYWOOD. Do you belive it? Jees, i was so pissed when i stripped the paint off the side, and theres about 8 layers of 2 different color woods stacked and glue ontop of each other for the body :D . And its supposed to be a alder body...yea bull-sh*t false advertising.

Actually, the MusicYo Kramer site says the bodies of those Pacers are made of "Laminated Alder/Nato". Translation: "Plywood"

I like your original finish idea of doing it a solid colour with some nice wide racing stripes on it. Dark silvery gray with black stripes would look really cool. Kinda like this or this.

Algee, I'm interested in seeing how your project turns out with that small headstock. I prefer small headstocks and was worried about mine being too small. So far, I've been able to do a rough layout of my locking Sperzels on it but if I can't in the end, I'll go with mini locking Grovers. Here's my headstock:

fretboard_trimmed3.jpg

neck_body_mock_up.jpg

Edited by CudBucket

Meh, im not as intrested as worried. I fit Grover Mini Tuners on and they fit suprisingly. If I dont have to mod any of the tuners, and its ugly maybe i will just stick a piece of maple on and re-cut like it was first suggested. I don't know yet. It doesnt look half bad with the tuners on tho, i kinda like it.

I'll get pics later if you want.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a little update. I scalloped the last 3 frets (20, 21, 22). I also leved and polished the frets with 3M fine cut buffing compound then 3M Finesse It II Mahcine polish. Anybody else use that to buff the frets? I think it came it very shiny.

DSC00846.jpg

Scalloped Frets:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/AlG...r2/DSC00845.jpg

Look good?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/AlG...r2/DSC00840.jpg

^^I dont know if i went deep enough with the scalloping?

Chris

in the tutorial it look a bit deeper on the higer frets because it is a 24, but anywere between 1/16 to 3/32 should be OK, I think the 1/8 is too extreme, and it will surely mess up any inlay that you will have on the board.

Yeah, i was afraid of goin' through the inlay, so i just basically stopped when i thought i went too deep.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, heres the latest update. (Im sure you have all been holding onto your seats for this one! B) ). I ended up buying a new neck from Warmoth. That mini-headstock deal looks plain stupid. I bought the Jackson warmoth one. Rosewood fretboard, maple neck.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks....kson_warmothpro

As for the body, im filling in a few minor dents and dings in the sanding sealer. I should start to spray soon.(If my spray booth idea takes off :D ) I have decided to do a black body, black neck with a silver racing stripe across the arm rest. Grover chrome tuners, black tremolo, black EMG's(first time im using them...), and chrome knobs. Im hoping the chrome parts make the racing stripe pop out, and not make the whole guitar look boring black.

As for the $$$ situation, im now broke thanks to this :D

Later guys, (tell me what ya think :D )

Chris