The Impaler!

1. Yes you can sand out the run, but do not wet sand. The reason for this is that the clear is too thin and chances are that you will sand through and the water will soak into the wood and cause it to swell and when it dries it may split. To sand out the run use some 600 on a very flat block.

Ok then after I sand out the run should I polish it or just sand it clean it and on to the next coat?

Thank's for all the help man B) , and I will ask about the clear

EDIT:>

3. When I say scuffed and cleared I mean the the whole guitar should be scuffed sanded with at least a #000 steel whool or a scoth bright pad.

How should I do that one that freaks the HELL out of me :D it wount damage the finish, how much presser should I use and at what point should I stop with the steel whool and move on to the next coat?

EDIT:> ok yes another edit :D now I just praiced sanding out a run on one of my old dead guitar bodies and I have one more Question B) when Sanding out a run should I sand it until it's flat but I can still see it or should I go until i can't see it at all?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Yes you can sand out the run, but do not wet sand. The reason for this is that the clear is too thin and chances are that you will sand through and the water will soak into the wood and cause it to swell and when it dries it may split. To sand out the run use some 600 on a very flat block.

Ok then after I sand out the run should I polish it or just sand it clean it and on to the next coat?

After you sand out the run, scuff the whole guitar clean it and coat it.

Thank's for all the help man B) , and I will ask about the clear

EDIT:>

3. When I say scuffed and cleared I mean the the whole guitar should be scuffed sanded with at least a #000 steel whool or a scoth bright pad.

How should I do that one that freaks the HELL out of me :D it wount damage the finish, how much presser should I use and at what point should I stop with the steel whool and move on to the next coat?

Look at it this way, if you are going to sand out a run you are basicly marring the finish and depending on how much clear you have on the guitar to work with will dictate how much you can get away with sanding off. With regard to how hard you should press, that is something that you will have to figure out on you own through trial and error. I know that is now what you want to hear but its not something that I can really expalin. For the steel Whool, you should stop when it looks like you are looking at the guitar through murky water. There should be no glossy spots on the guitar.

EDIT:> ok yes another edit :D now I just praiced sanding out a run on one of my old dead guitar bodies and I have one more Question B) when Sanding out a run should I sand it until it's flat but I can still see it or should I go until i can't see it at all?

You should sand the run until it blends with the rest of the paint/clear. You will notice that as you sand it down there will be a glossy outline around the run. You want to sand until that outline disapears.

I hope that this helps

Cool man thanks That's what I needed to know! B) I will try sanding on an old body I have and then I will give it a go on the IMPALER

Thanks for all the info and for puting up with all my Questions you've been extremely helpful :D

Cool man thanks That's what I needed to know! B)  I will try sanding on an old body I have and then I will give it a go on the IMPALER

Thanks for all the info and for puting up with all my Questions you've been extremely helpful :D

Not a problem. I am glad that I was able to help. Let me know how it works out.

• 1 month later...

crappic.jpg

Ok hear she is well kinda! :D it's not totaly done in this pic and of course the normal SH$#$Y ASS PICS I will get some good ones up soon BLEAVE ME This pic

does not do the IMPALER justice! and the volume knobs suck ass in this pic I put new ones on now and it looks DEADLY!! but this will give you an idea

so what do you think?

Ok I know I have this pic is on hear but this will just make it easyer to show of the IMPALER'S good looks B)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ldingguitar.jpg

P.S not me holding the guitar!

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it needs gold hardware and ebony knobs.

And those cool black-coated strings.

:D $$$$$$$$$ <--- well it's to bad I dont have much of that because

your so right man that would look great but ya know :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

deadly is the word...... i would think chemical black hardware would have been better, but i have gothic tastes when it comes to geetars.

matt, what can i say... its simply deadly

Cool man thanks Iam glad you like it :D ,

with the purple heart I like the gold hardware look but with the next IMPALER Iam useing maple and that would look F#$KING DEADLY!! B)

OH GOD B) man you have no idea how good it is to be back I was going through Hell not being hear iam still not in great shape but iam guting there! I got a real big up lift a while ago I bumped in to an old friend of mine and we got to talking

about Motorhead and the big show that was comeing up when out of the blue he calls me up the next day to tell me he bought me a ticket :D I was like HOLYCRAP FREE MOTORHEAD and with C.O.C opening!! I was there and man what a night LEMMY IS GOD!

Jeez! A FREE ticket! thats one hell of a friend! Mind you, I got Devin Townsend coming over with Strapping Young Lad in June, and TESTAMENT with the original line up this Sunday! OH FULL OF GLEE AM I!!!

Anyway, I love the Impaler dude, how does it play? Is it balenced?

Ya man he is he was in one of my first bands! he's a great guy it F%$#CKING sucks now that iam stuck out hear in the sticks :D

any way man the IMPALER has perfect balance I realy love the dam thing but there is room for improvement not with the design but with the craftsmanship

for one thing this body is to thin but that's probabley for the better with the purpleheart B)

Cool! Glad to see it finished! I really like the purpleheart body, it goes really well with this design. The only thing I would have done a little differently is to slap some Ebony pickup rings around those bad boys, and give it all black hardware. Chrome just isn't evil enough for this guitar. It's all "Hey, you can see your reflection in me" when it should be "I WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU LOOK AT ME TOO LONG"

Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. :D

Great work! Is there another one in the works, or on the drawing board?

Turned out preety nice. The only thing that distracts from it are the big ferrules that you used in the fromt of the body!

Ah, I forget, Welcome Back!

Ya not bad If I do say so my self I realy fu$#ken love this IMPALER design man

and Ya Iam not a real big fan of the ferrules but I did run out of cash so I had to make do with what I had and It came out well B)

Cool! Glad to see it finished! I really like the purpleheart body, it goes really well with this design. The only thing I would have done a little differently is to slap some Ebony pickup rings around those bad boys, and give it all black hardware. Chrome just isn't evil enough for this guitar. It's all "Hey, you can see your reflection in me" when it should be "I WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU LOOK AT ME TOO LONG"

Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. 

Great work! Is there another one in the works, or on the drawing board?

Well ya black would Have been WAY beter but Like I said no cash$$ :D and this will be the last purpleheart IMPALER I build, I realy love the stuff but it's way to pretty and nice for a KILL CRUSH DESTORY EVERY THING IN IT'S PATH design like the IMPALER!! and ya I have a new impaler in the works it will be maple dyed black with chrome hardware and one EMG-707 and a 24 fret flamed maple neck and a ebony fretboard and much larger beveled edges on the body! So what do you think?

looks good... kinda... wait,, ill be straight

Looks purplish or a odd tone of wood

Body seems tiny, making neck seem short and fat

Unicorn Spikes

Doesnt really scream Gothik Metal..

Looks more like you took down a beat up maple branch and ran over it then put some blakc electronics on it....

Other than all this!, looks GREAT! :D

Thats because It's made out of purpleheart :D

He was going for a small body. And the neck seems fat because it's seven string.

Unicorn Spikes

Thats your opinion. One I happen too disagree with. I think it looks more like a dagger.

Dude did you see the pic where he was holding it? It looks FREAKIN awesome. Again my opinion...

Looks more like you took down a beat up maple branch and ran over it then put some blakc electronics on it....

Now thats not constructive criticism AT ALL. Saying stuff like that will send you on a 2 week read only vacation

Edited by Godin SD

korge Posted Today, 04:23 PM

looks good... kinda... wait,, ill be straight

Unicorn Spikes

If you must act like this do it somewhere else.......consider this a warning. Now go read the Forum Rules"

PG Rules

Pay close attention to Rule #3.....Get It?

:D So um how long have you been building guitars for??

1.It's called purple heart http://www.edroman.com/wood/purpleheart.htm

2.Your kiding right This thing is huge man long and thin is what I wanted

look at the body with cayle holding it He's like 6 feet tall man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ldingguitar.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...ingguitar45.jpg

3.who the hell said anything about (Gothik Metal) :D I listen to mythical black Metal, death metal, extrem metal, heavy hetal

And If you knew any thing about Vlad the IMPALER or medieval weapons You might under stand the point of that spike!!

4. It's a 7-STRING NECK

It's takes alot to get me going and dumping on my IMPALER does the trick!!

!!METAL MATT!! B)