Suggestions On De-uglying?

PerryL is probably right, it looks too big and ugly to actually be there for decoration. No one (I hope) would put something that ugly on to make it pretty. I sort of looks 58-9 LP JRish a little. You could go for that look. If you put it in a mill (router would work, mill would be easier) you could cut off the contours and put on a top. Then put a round pickguard on like the old 58 and 59 lp jrs. That would be killer.

PS if you dont know what a 58-59 LP JR looks like here you go.

PerryL is probably right, it looks too big and ugly to actually be there for decoration.  No one (I hope) would put something that ugly on to make it pretty.  I sort of looks 58-9 LP JRish a little.  You could go for that look.  If you put it in a mill (router would work, mill would be easier) you could cut off the contours and put on a top.  Then put a round pickguard on like the old 58 and 59 lp jrs.  That would be killer. 

PS if you dont know what a 58-59 LP JR looks like here you go.

B)

The *only* thing 59 LP on that is the horns, and they barely look 59 LP-ish

:D

I would just burn that little thing. Its very hideous. Could make some good therapy for somebody tho...scrap it maybe and try to get a few $

Later,

Chris

Edited by AlGeeEater

i think you guys are a tad gung ho on the ol' "destroy it!!!"

i reckon that guitar is quite nifty looking and i like the wood effect, the pickguard is screaming for some rennovation though.

just off the top of my head, lift the pick guard and see what you have to play with, reshape it into something a lot smaller and with more style and slap some paint on it.

hehe, i'm back, i'm back

under the pickguard is nothing fantastic and nothing unusual... i'll post pics when i can get them (which won't be for a few weeks unfortunately... just sent the darn thing home and won't have a chance to work on it until i'm done exams).

as for painting it black...... booooorrring! i'd rather have an ugly guitar with character (as this is already) then a plain ol' black one. unless you just mean paint the pickguard black.. in which case i'd probably just make another one out of acrylic. the body colour is so annoying, it doesn't match with anything.. maybe a white acrylic. or a broken mirror.. haha :D

but burning it.. hmmm.. maybe a burnt finish

i know i'm going to take out the single knob (it's volume, btw) and replace it with a simple kill switch... I'd like it even better if there were no knobs.. pickup right in the sweet spot

thanks for the comments so far, i'd like to hear more...

OK, on a more serious note...

When I saw it, first thing I thought of was a Travis Bean takeoff. Travis Beans were big in the 70's. I think Jerry Garcia used a Travis Bean for awhile?

Also, when you get a chance, look at the endgrain at the rear of the body see if it's going straight up and down, the overall look of the grain in the pic looks like it might be a quartersawn piece of wood, which I would consider a big plus in your favor.

You could possible do some grain enhancement on it like it was Ash, maybe like a Voodoo finish or something, and sit down and think up a super-cool new pickguard for it.

It's got possibilities, but they're not in-your-face obvious, you're gonna have to pull 'em out, but I think they're there. Especially the pickguard. I think if you really used your creativity, you could come up with something really wacky and cool for a pickguard.

Neat project. B)

Added note: It looks to me like someone went around the body with a router to get that angle on it.

Is there any way you could remove the pickguard, clean the wood underneath up, do a little carving/sanding to make whatever is underneath look good and creative, then give the top a rounded appearance like an archtop and leave it with no pickguard?

I told you you had to reach deep within you with this one...

Just tossing out ideas..... :D

Anybody notice where the PUP is? It is in the middle, not bridge like most single PUP guitars. And to me, it looks more like an SG than a LP JR. But what do I know?

Personally, I like it the way it is. Yep, it is ugly. But there isn't much that I can think of that will un-ugly that guitar. Plus, if by some bizarre chance that really is a set neck, it ain't agonna come off easy. It's gonna be a bear.

Guitar Ed

I used to be one step ahead. Now I just try not to get run over.

I think a fairly simple idea that would suit this guitar would be chrome paint. On just about any other guitar it would look horrible, but I think it would add to the Travis Bean vibe (didnt they have aluminium necks?)

I think if just the top was painted this colour, it could look reminiciant of a Zemaitis (which seems to have been an influence on its design)

Most Chrome paint seems to be a grey-ish colour- If there is alot of the body removed under the big pickgard, maybe it could be filled?

Just an option,

Luke

Edited by LukeR

Anybody notice where the PUP is? It is in the middle, not bridge like most single PUP guitars. And to me, it looks more like an SG than a LP JR. But what do I know?

Personally, I like it the way it is. Yep, it is ugly. But there isn't much that I can think of that will un-ugly that guitar. Plus, if by some bizarre chance that really is a set neck, it ain't agonna come off easy. It's gonna be a bear.

i noticed where the pickup was! hehe... that was one of the selling features... my favorite sound is a double humbucker guitar with both pickups on, and this will be like that but more unique.

plus, it plays reasonably well - i need to set it up, but the frets are all in excellent shape and will soon be shining like the moon after i follow polishing tutorial! the action is great pre-setup

so it is a good time

What about an "aged" pickguard like the tussart guitars. Or white Mother of toliet seat?

Personally I dont think its as ugly as most pointy guitars, with the right guard I could really dig it.

If your doing a refinish maybe sand the angles smooth to give it a sabreish vibe?

Also Id teardrop the shape of the pickguard to make it look more like a musicman pickguard.

Edited by syxxstring