New Recording --> Good For Demo?

Guest AlexVDL

Okay I listened to the recording here in my studio on my studio monitors. Several things:

1. Your playing is very pro and especially TIGHT. Way above demo quality. Respect!

2. The guitar sound is fat and powerful. It still sounds a little "fake/sterile" to my ears, as every vamp and most other digital recording preamps sound. It's immideately noticable that it was not played with a real amp + mics. This will only be noticed by picky guitarists though I guess and it is a taste thing as well. For using a vamp I think you got the best possible result.

If you get a good drum sound and good vocals this will be quite pro sounding.

There is just one thing I consider wrong about your recording process. I would never record guitar/bass first and then drums. Usually you get a more natural sounding and groovier sounding recording if you first record the drums and then record bass/guitars to the drums and follow the little timing differences your drummer does.

And why don't you play your own solo? The one on the original sounds quite uninspired anyway....:D And what I heard from your playing so far you can easily outdo the lame original solo.

P.s.: Post clips with the real drums later....i am REALLY interested how it turns out.

But do you guys think this sound is good enough for a demo?

I'm not trying to be harsh, But I honestly have no idea what you're trying to demo. The band's ability to mimic Metallica? Your ability to make something that sounds somewhat decent out of an amp simulator and a Soundtrasher card? Forget about production for a moment and think about what this demo says about you and the band.

If you're doing demos of your songs (to pitch to big artists) then you can get away with the V-Amp; they're interested in the song, not the production. However, you would need to replace the sound card's sounds with need real drums, or samples of real drums, so you don't risk annoying anybody. If you want to use MIDI triggered samples, go to Soundfonts.it and check out the various "drum kits" they have... or save yourself some time and just download the Tama "Rock Star" drum kit soundfont, which is #3 in the list.

If you're doing demos to get a deal for your band, you'll have to do a lot better. I don't know what software you're using, so I can't offer any specific advice... other than upgrading to real amps, decent mics, good mic-pres, and a good audio interface instead of a video gamer's sound card. Or, invest the money in studio time, and get a pro to make you sound absolutely fabulous.

It all depends on what you want to get out of your demo.

Of course, if you're just having fun putting together your own stuff, ROCK ON!

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

I just listened to the newer version. While it sounds way better, you added to much bass/lower mids. The palm muted tones have to much bass now. It's not terrible on good monitors but I know from expierence that on a car stereo or anything with much bass response they would be too loud and cover anything else.

I first recorded drums, after that the bass and guitars.

You recorded drums? I guess you wanted to say you hacked them into your midi sequenzer?

I hate Kirk Hammets solo's

At least someone who agrees with me on Hammet! :D

Alex -

I can't give much in terms of comments on the quality since I have no recording experience but it certainly sounds like you put a lot of effort into it and I think the playing/performance sounds great. I can certainly understand why you didn't spend big bucks on it and want to save that for your own stuff some day.

I've liked you other samples you've posted and have wanted to ask what you used. I think you posted one recently about new noiseless pickups in a strat, right? I know it's a little off topic but if you don't mind telling me, what did you use for effects on that?

Dave

It's just a demo to let people hear what kind of songs we play, and how well we play them.

In that case, I wouldn't sweat the V-Amp; it will work fine.

However, I would recommend four things:

1) Don't pick songs that require multi-tracking more instruments than you can play at one time. If you do 28 tracks, but you only have a bass, lead guitar, and drums, the club owner may be dissappointed before you start playing... and that can bias their opinion for the rest of the night.

2) Pick songs that have less production and better rifts, to higlight your playing skills. Hit them with simple demos that have impressive shredding. You're selling yourself, so don't bury your skills under a ton of tracks.

3) Mix up your playing styles. If all of your songs sound the same, what's the point? You need to show them that you can do more than "Sad But True"... even if you're a Metallica cover-band. As a local band member pointedly asked a prospective guitar slinger recently: "Can you play in anything other than Drop D?" That was pretty harsh, but it was straight to the point... the point that mattered.

4) Keep it short. A lot of club owners are too busy to sit down and evaluate a 70 minute demo CD by any band, let alone every band that wants to play there. You might consider mixing 5 songs, then editing the best clips out of each song to create a montage. Then you put the montage at the begining of the CD, followed by the 5 complete songs. When you meet a club owner, ask them if they can spare 90 seconds to listen to your demo. If they like what they hear, they can listen to the rest. If not, then you have a definite answer and you're on your way to the next club.

BTW: These are just my personal opinons. Other people my have other advice.

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

i love it.i think you nailed the guitar sound with the second clip you posted...and i agree with you.if you play a cover,try to keep it faithful or COMPLETELY redo it...and it better be better than the original.people don't go to see cover bands play covers "their way"...they go to see them reproduced faithfully

like metallica's cover of "am i evil"...so much better than the original by diamondhead.

and on the reverse side....i HATE the remake of "simple man"..there is no use trying to improve the original of that song..skynard nailed it on the first release

and your playing is as excellent as it always is