Is A Semihollow A Bad First Electric?

That's a very subjective thing and other people's opinions may not be at all relevant to what's good for you.

Some things that might help yourself to answer that are:

what style of music you want to play, playing technique, what you're looking for in a guitar's sound and playability and how you interpret the sound then go play the guitar and see if it fits these things.

If you've found a guitar that feels and sounds good to you and you can afford it (That's the main one I always struggle with) then it's not a bad first, middle or last guitar.

:D

You asked a similar question and it was answered, but you don't want to listen. B)

How many more times are you going to ask the same question?

Hollowbody's are generally considered for jazz, although you can get more than just jazz sounds out of one. Is a hollowbody what you really want to play?

If you really like the guitar than get it and quit worrying about sounding like Jimi or David. Create your own sounds. :D

Hollowbodies for Jazz? Ask Ted Nugent or Eric Clapton or Brian Setzer what kind of Jazz they play. Heck, ask Chet Atkins what kind of Jazz he played.

Personally, I don't know a lick of Jazz, but I play my 3 hollowbodies none the less.

Van Kirk really has it right. But I would emphasize one thing, and that is the feel of the guitar. If it feels good you will play it, if it does not feel good you won't.

Guitar Ed

BTW: Ted, Eric, and Brian are rockers. Chet was a country boy.

Hollowbodies for Jazz?  Ask Ted Nugent or Eric Clapton or Brian Setzer what kind of Jazz they play.  Heck, ask Chet Atkins what kind of Jazz he played.

Personally, I don't know a lick of Jazz, but I play my 3 hollowbodies none the less.

Van Kirk really has it right.  But I would emphasize one thing, and that is the feel of the guitar.  If it feels good you will play it, if it does not feel good you won't.

Guitar Ed

BTW: Ted, Eric, and Brian are rockers.  Chet was a country boy.

I said generally! Not exclusively! B)

I'm sure their are others that play a hollow bodies for rock. OH yeah me too!

But look up jazz guitar and see what they look like. Surprise, they're hollow bodies.

Read his post in the "Solid Body Guitar" chat to see where I was coming from. Here

:D

Y'all fergot that sem-hollows play a very important role in punk.

*shot*

(For a good example of that sound, I'd say look up these crazy guys called "Thee Michelle Gun Elephant.")

Im an itty bitty guy, so a good ol ES 335 or the like is kinda too big to sit with, I hate standing, I almost always sit, so its preference. I love they way they sound, typically a bit more mellow. If you dont crank the amp up all the way, its like a nice acoustic reverb sound almost. So the way I interperet it. Now if I ever got ahold of a Les Paulish Semi Hollow I might like it a bit more, it would be much easier to deal with given my smaller size. Again, its up to you. One nice benefit. If you dont have an amp handy you can still jam out and hear yourself. Just sit down with a few at a store and mess around with it.

Have fun deciding.

Thats always the best part aint it.

J

Whoa, damn.

Yeah... a sem-hollow ain't gonna do you much good going towards a Hendrix or Floyd style.

Sorry, bud. Don't let the salesmen push you towards their stuff... pic what you like.