Classical/electric Hybrid

Simo

Oh yeah I remember seeing that! I'll have a search for the old thread, cheers :D

I've been talking to the guy at my guitar shop about this, he seemed as excited about it as I am B) he said that if this one works out well then he'd be interested in trying to sell some in the shop :D

Hi Simo,

I´m gonna give yoy the "KING OF ALL ADVICES" B) ..if you can, use a seven strings Neck...the 6 strings necks are too narrow to play properly classical pieces..even for a person like me, with small hands..

i´m in Venezuela, and here es very dificult to get anything..and last year we could not even use credit card outside the country..this year that changed..so now at least i can look for things in ebay and other places..

So, i was very lucky to get that Belcat piezo sistem..

BTW, you top look awesome...when i did mine projet i inteded to leave natural wood ..but when i sanded all the paint i discover 5 pieces of wood and one was very greenish..so i diciced to steam in a dark color and leave it that way.

good luck, and i´ll be watching your progress :D

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've cut out the Cocobolo top this morning, as you can see the template slipped slightly while I was routing near the neck pocket, luckily I got away with it! most of it will be routed out anyway when the neck pocket is done and the rest will tidy up without too much hassle *huge sigh of relief* :DB) I've also marked out the chambers and started to pre-drill them with a forstener bit.

coco.JPG

hey Simo is that top not glued up yet or is that a Gap in the glue goin? :D

great look'en top man :D what's that stuff like to sand?

!!METAL MATT!! B)

right now i'm doing a cocobolo neck and top. I havent purchesed the top yet but i'll tell ya it's amazing to sand! It sands real easy and you can sand it so fine it looks high gloss (i'm not kidding at all, It really looks like a high gloss finish just with sanding!) (yo udo have to be carful when sanding because the dust is toxic)

Heres a pic of some scrap cocobolo (thats not my neck, My neck has AWESOME grain) after like a minute of sanding. (just seeing what I t would look like, I was very surprized to see this!) cocobolo pic That pic doesent do it justice. After I took that I sanded more(a lot more :D ) And now it's more glossy than my godin! Only it doesent feel sticky like a gloss finish usually does. I know how i'm gonna finish my neck B)

(BTW I think you'll be very happy with the godin body shape. It looks great and is very comfterable. I would make it semi hollow though, It will make it sound soooooo much richer. And thats DEFFINITLY what you want with an acoustic.)

Edited by Godin SD

• 3 weeks later...

Ok bit of an update....I've chambered the body and glued the top on, I didn't go too mad with the chambering so it still feels reasonably heavy, although it will loose a bit more weight once the routing for the pre-amp is done. I'm thinking about using a Mighty Mite Les Paul neck unless I find something 2nd hand that takes my fancy.

I'll try and take some pics over the weekend :D

B)

That sound's cool B) I guess you did not take any pic's before you glued on the top hay I would have loved to see the chambered part of the body

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 1 month later...

Just get a good piezo saddle...

it'll give you uber sound if you ask me :D

got an Ovation acoustic electric guitar... i can get almost any sound i want with that piezo with the preamp thats in it. I kinda think the preamp might be more important than the pickup B)

anyways... i think a piezo sounds great and should be fairly (if not very very) easy to do :D

That sound's cool  I guess you did not take any pic's before you glued on the top hay I would have loved to see the chambered part of the body

Sorry Matt no pics of the chambering I'm afraid, I wish I'd routed some bigger chambers now, it's still quite heavy :D ....but I'm thinking about using this bridge...

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/pickups_tbridge.shtml

....according to the folks at LR Baggs it will work with nylons and if the guitar sounds crap when it's done I could easily convert it to an electric B)

• 1 month later...

If this is the same system Ibanez uses on the RG 1820X fitted for a floyd, imo don't get it unless you're running it to a PA. It sounds very thin and weak. Imo your best bet is to use an acoustic bridge with the pickup under it.

-Jamie