I Have A New Idea, Is It Plausible?

JackyB

Instead of going all-out on my first project and attempting an SG copy, I thought it would be cool to be a little creative and do things my own way. I remember when I was a kid I saw a guitar with a built-in speaker under the strings in a Sears catalogue. Recently I got the idea it would a pretty neat thing to have to warm up while I'm backstage, or to screw around with while I'm on vacation or something. Here is a preliminary list of features I'd like:

Lightweight body (material doesn't matter... Something cheap)

Built in amplfier (Just a simple, small wattage amplfier. Anywhere from 1-5W is fine)

Built in speaker (Placed where the sound hole would be on an acoustic)

Headphone jack

1/4" output jack

Single coil pickup (one, at bridge position)

Hard tail bridge (with adjustable saddles)

One "volume" pot (since 1-5 watts won't make much volume, this will be more of a natural gain control)

That's pretty much it. The amplification would probably be powered by a 9V battery or something. Do you think it would be very hard to incorporate a small amplification system? Would the wiring be too hard for a beginner? Having an amp, speaker, and headphone adapter would add some wiring, but only having one pickup would remove a lot of potential wires.

What do you guys think? I'll start putting together some rough sketches and maybe start figuring out some wiring schematics. Obviously tone is not a big issues with this project. I just need something I can fiddle around on.

Edited by JackyB

This has been talked about before. I think that the consensus was that the sound quality would not be satisfactory.

I'm not really worried about tone at all. I just want something that can create a distorted sound without worrying about pocket amps, cables, etc. Just something I can throw in a gig bag and take on a vacation with me.

The guitar already exists...the Fernandes Nomad...I'm pretty sure there are a couple others...if you can get hold of one, you can figure out how they did it...the Deluxe model even has built in FX...or you can have a look at this:

http://tinypic.com/x6rec

The Davoli Bikini has to be one of the coolest guitars ever...you could even make the speaker/amp detachable for using the guitar with a real amp...

If yu want to make the ultimate throw in bag and take with yor guitar, then make it headless to minimize the length and weight, and make the body just large enough to accomodate all of the parts, amp and speaker. of course some fold out extensions mad of medal will help with strap issues and playing on your leg and suuch. I bet you could make an amp, guitar, speaker (most of the cost would be for th headless hardware- but well worth it)

I asked about this a while back as I'm looking for something special to do to my poished turd ocaster (which is already hollow - luckilly enough).

The general concencus was to butcher a pig nose amp (or similar) and mount it in. Like normal, I've just got to get round to doing it.

I asked about this a while back as I'm looking for something special to do to my poished turd ocaster (which is already hollow - luckilly enough).

The general concencus was to butcher a pig nose amp (or similar) and mount it in. Like normal, I've just got to get round to doing it.

I just e-mailed Pignose and they're sending me a schematic chart. That'll at least get me started in the right direction. I'll scan it up once it arrives if you like. I think I might just make my own amplifier if I can figure it out. I'm just worried I won't be able to get a distorted sound. If all else fails I can buy a pignose amp like you said and tear it apart.

I don't know if the guys that hang out in the electronics section will see this or not but there are some very skilled people who can probably help you out. You should be able to get a decent distortion sound without needing very much space. The biggest space consumer will most likely be the speaker.

What about using headphones instead? Too much of a hassle with the cords? It would save you some space issues and routing.

Anyway, there are tons of schematics out there for DIY distortion circuits. Maybe you could have this moved to the electronics section or post a thread asking about DIY distortion. I think another resource that you might want to look at is diystompboxes.com.

What about using headphones instead? Too much of a hassle with the cords? It would save you some space issues and routing.

There's a great idea...get yourself one of those Danoelectric headphone amps --the built in distortion is pretty good...and it's a real small box, it'd be easy to get that into the guitar body....especially if you took the case off....

it also has a line out, so your wiring would be simple --just take a stompbox jack to the line in of the dano, then position the dano's line out jack as the jack for the guitar...

I have one, I'll have a look to see if the line out works without the unit being on...

it also has a little 50s still echo

I don't know if the guys that hang out in the electronics section will see this or not but there are some very skilled people who can probably help you out. You should be able to get a decent distortion sound without needing very much space. The biggest space consumer will most likely be the speaker.

Anyway, there are tons of schematics out there for DIY distortion circuits. Maybe you could have this moved to the electronics section or post a thread asking about DIY distortion. I think another resource that you might want to look at is diystompboxes.com.

Like, just put in a headphone jack and ditch the speaker entirely? Practically, that would probably be better, but I'm doing this for three main reasons: 1) novelty, 2) a challenge, 3) to do something different and a little creative. However I do want to include a headphone jack, so if I do end up using it in a portable situation I don't annoy everyone around me :D.

After I get that wiring schematic diagram to work off of, I will make another post in the electronics forum for help specifically on the electronic components. I made this post here just to get some input about the whole idea in general. Thanks for the helpful information and links. B)

There's a great idea...get yourself one of those Danoelectric headphone amps --the built in distortion is pretty good...and it's a real small box, it'd be easy to get that into the guitar body....especially if you took the case off....

it also has a line out, so your wiring would be simple --just take a stompbox jack to the line in of the dano, then position the dano's line out jack as the jack for the guitar...

I have one, I'll have a look to see if the line out works without the unit being on...

it also has a little 50s still echo

One of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--DANE15 ?

That looks PERFECT and will save me a lot of trouble. You know would would be even cooler? If I could make like a "pocket" in the guitar body that could hold the pocketamp inplace. That way the controls would still be accessible, and if I wanted to, I could take it out at any time to replace batteries and whatnot. I wonder if it would be hard to hook a speaker up to. Great idea man, thanks!

Okay here's a very rough sketch of how a few things should fit together.

projectsketch.jpg

A few small notes:

1.) I'll rout out a small cavity in the side of the body so the amplifier can be removable. This will probably be the only way to adjust the volume without wiring up a few pots to control the volume (and whatever that other dial on the side is for.)

2.) There will have to be a switch to control the power to the speaker so I can turn it off manually if I want to use headphones. I don't know how hard it would be to have it turn off automatically when a set of headphones is plugged in. Now that I think about it, there will probably have to be some sort of splitter that would control the output from the pocketamp to go to both the speaker and maintain a connection to the headphone jack at the same time. I can figure this all out later with the help of the electronics guys.

3.) I'm guessing since there is such a small speaker and amplifier, it would be a waste to use any sort of decent tone wood. I'll probably just make the body out of plywood. Probably the most expensive component on the entire guitar will be the neck (which I'll have to purchase because I don't have any fretting tools.)

There's still a lot of planning and figuring out to do, but I think I'm at least on the right track. I'm going to put together a solid plan before I start ordering stuff.

Edited by JackyB

Great idea man, thanks!

Yep, that's the one...aw shucks...

Here's what I'm thinking about your design below.

First: I dig the tele design...why not get a tele copy that you can modify to suit your evil designs (since this is an electronics project)?

The volume and distortion controls are on the sides of the Dano unit --your design won't give access. But since you seem to be comfortable with electronics, can't you open up the box and 'explode' the controls and fiddly bits? There must be a way to line everything up in a single line...

And then...ta da! ...you could modify a Tele control panel for these new controls!

Voila! Easy access...

(For example--substitute on/off pull knobs for the existing knobs---pull on the volume to adjust the volume of the dano, pull on the tone to adjust the distortion level...when the knobs are 'off' they continue to change the volume/tone of the pickups...

For speakers, how about something more radical....for one thing, I don't see why the speaker has to be below the strings...seems like it'll just interfere magnetically....I'd install a larger speaker on the upper side of lower bout...or you could use one or more smaller speakers ---put one in the upper horn....a couple more below...behind the bridge, for example...

Even cooler....how bout lodging the speaker BEHIND THE PICKGUARD! You could replace that with a more or less transparent grill...

All of this can be routed from the back of course....

Oh, about the Dano, I find the battery lasts a nice long time on it...that helps!

I really hope you go through with this project!

Great idea man, thanks!

Yep, that's the one...aw shucks...

Here's what I'm thinking about your design below.

*read above post for the rest*

Excellent, excellent ideas. I think what I'll do is tear apart the pocket amp and make my own casing for it with some wood. Then I can rearrange the controls so they're all on accessible from one side along the outside of the case. Then I can create a cavity on the side of the guitar (Maybe along the top) to slide that case in, then have a few latches hold it in place.

And yeah, I changed my plan of building the body myself. I think I'll get a tele kit from Torres Engineering (It's like $100 for the body, neck, pickups, hardware, etc.)

And if I'm feeling like I'm up for a challenge, I might make the volume and tone knobs that come with the kit control the volume and distortion on the pocket amp. It'll take some figuring out to get them hooked up to the pots, though. I'll have to figure some things out as soon as I order the amp because I'm not sure how all the components work. Maybe I could even modify the pickup selector (since there will only be one pickup) to control the power to the speaker.

I love your idea of putting the speaker under a transparent pick guard. I think it would be awesome to have the speaker under the strings, but under the pick guard so it won't be in the way. I"ll have to figure out a way to shield the pickup from the speaker's magnet, though. Or I could just put it elsewhere (Towards the tail of the body) and just cover it with plexiglass or something. I don't know how having a pickguard/plexiglass over it will effect it sonically, though. Maybe I can drill some holes in the plexiglass around the speaker cavity so some of the sound can get out.

These are all great ideas, keep 'em rolling!

edit: The more I'm talking about this, the more I want to get started right away! :D

Edited by JackyB

I love your idea of putting the speaker under a transparent pick guard. I think it would be awesome to have the speaker under the strings, but under the pick guard so it won't be in the way.

Sure, if there's only one pickup (I'm assuming the bridge), then you can still put the speaker under the strings. But if that's going to give problems, you could shift the speaker over toward the bottom of the guitar ---depends on how big the speaker is...

The speaker of my mini amp is all of 2.5 inches ....there's a size limit, since the larger the speaker, the deeper it'll be, right?

i didn't think of plexiglass, but that could be cool --how about instead of a wooden box for the guts, you make that out of plexiglass too --that way everything is revealed.

On the other hand, if you hide everything, you get this stealth guitar...

Anyway, I only have bright ideas in the morning...it's getting late, time for some good French wine... :D

I love your idea of putting the speaker under a transparent pick guard. I think it would be awesome to have the speaker under the strings, but under the pick guard so it won't be in the way.

Sure, if there's only one pickup (I'm assuming the bridge), then you can still put the speaker under the strings. But if that's going to give problems, you could shift the speaker over toward the bottom of the guitar ---depends on how big the speaker is...

The speaker of my mini amp is all of 2.5 inches ....there's a size limit, since the larger the speaker, the deeper it'll be, right?

i didn't think of plexiglass, but that could be cool --how about instead of a wooden box for the guts, you make that out of plexiglass too --that way everything is revealed.

On the other hand, if you hide everything, you get this stealth guitar...

Anyway, I only have bright ideas in the morning...it's getting late, time for some good French wine... :D

Okay, I think I'll stick with having the speaker under the strings, under the transparent pick guard. That should look pretty awesome. That or the idea of having it somewhere else on the guitar behind some plexiglass. I haven't fully decided yet. I'm guessing the speaker I'll be using will be somewhere around 3". I think I'd still prefer having a wooden case instead of a plexiglass. I don't think it would look all that cool with just a bunch of electronic components floating around inside. I'll keep it hidden in a wood case. B) I can't wait to get started on this.

Okay, I think I'll stick with having the speaker under the strings, under the transparent pick guard. That should look pretty awesome.

Yeah, I can't wait to see this one...

Do you know Girl Brand Guitars? He does some interesting things with plexiglass ...For example:

sushiA.jpg

here's the link to the site:

Girl Brand Guitars

Yeah I can't wait to put this together. Thanks for the link, I know I've seen it somewhere before, but it's still pretty neat to look at. I just have to make sure I'm working again before I start building. Nothing drains a bank account faster than a project guitar. :D

Why mess with wires at all?

Score a Bluetooth setup.

Ok, ok...those can get a little pricey, and wiring it up would probably be zero fun.

How about a retractable headphone set? Just a set of ear buds that 'unroll' out of an edge of the guitar. When you're done, just give them a little tug, and the spring-loaded winder pulls them back in. You could also have a safety catch on the edge/point of entry so when you're movin' your head around, you don't accidentally engage the winder. :-)

Just some ideas. I can't wait to see the progress.

BTW- those Fernandes ZX guitars are supposedly very cool. The built-in FX ones can get some decent tones from what I've heard from people. You probably won't record a Top10 single with one, but....for kickin' around by the couch...

Score a Bluetooth setup.

Ok, ok...those can get a little pricey, and wiring it up would probably be zero fun.

How about a retractable headphone set? Just a set of ear buds that 'unroll' out of an edge of the guitar. When you're done, just give them a little tug, and the spring-loaded winder pulls them back in. You could also have a safety catch on the edge/point of entry so when you're movin' your head around, you don't accidentally engage the winder. :-)

BTW- those Fernandes ZX guitars are supposedly very cool. The built-in FX ones can get some decent tones from what I've heard from people. You probably won't record a Top10 single with one, but....for kickin' around by the couch...

Oh yes, wireless too!

Install a three-way switch --one goes to headphones, another goes to the built in speaker, a third sends the signal to your amp...how cool would that be?

Score a Bluetooth setup.

Nice, I really like the idea of retractable "bud" headphones. That way I'll never find myself without a pair of headphones in case I need to keep the volume down. Maybe I'll make a little wooden "flap" on a hinge to cover up the headphones and retracting mechanism while not in use. And yeah, the main idea of this project is to have fun and be creative. This has already turned into a large collaboration of ideas. To just go out and buy a setup that's already made would be no fun at all.

Edited by JackyB