Gregory's Very First

Gregory

I just got it together to take a few pictures of my project, its an ash body and a onepiece maple neck. As of yet I still have to finish it (aniline dyes) rout for the pickups and do a setup and nut. I'm pretty happy with it and I'd love any feedback

I hope the image works.... if not its on my

website

body.jpg

Edited by Gregory

Well I must admit to you having good taste, hehehe...reminds me of my little 'Blanco El Diablo' B)

And it only took me 9 years to get to the point of designing that little gem, so for your first effort, you're far ahead of me.

Congrats on having good taste in Teles! :D

35.jpg

I'm done sanding so now I want to finish it. I'm going to dye it red. So what should the finishing order be?

Is this right?

1.epoxy grainfiller

2. clear coat a few times with deft spray

3. tint deft brushon laquer with alchohal based anilyne dye? or use the dye directly

4. clear coat many more coats

oh dude, wicked!, you've got a southpaw monkey (*points at avatar*)

anyway, this is an interesting tele-meets-evil body here... I do like it though I can't say I'd ever possess a model like that- but points for bein' different!

waiting so desperately for the final pics. :D

• 2 weeks later...
What does taper mean?? I always hear, taper the fretboard, neck, etc. Sorry for the dumb Q

I mean that the neck pocket is tapered to fit the neck, not truely square.

from the guitar reranch site On Dyes I got the impression that I could use my alcohal based dyes over the sealed wood.

Water based dyes can only be applied to unfinished and unsealed wood whereas alcohol based dyes can be either wiped onto unfinished wood or sprayed over filled and sealed wood. Water based dyes cannot be successfully sprayed over sealed wood.

from the guitar reranch site On Dyes I got the impression that I could use my alcohal based dyes over the sealed wood.

Yes, you can use them, but only if you spray them, they can't be wiped on like a standard dye or stain once you seal the wood. I also personally really don't like the look of a dye that is sprayed onto a sealer like epoxy, it won't settle into the wood and enhance grain like if you had not sealed the wood before. It tints it, same as laying a piece of clear tinted plastic over it. When you apply it to the raw wood, it will soak into the softer wood deeper and darker giving a much deeper looking finish.

It will still work for you, you just have to spray it now.