Gregory's Very First

Gregory

Looks good, and LGM was right. Once you've grain filled the wood with epoxy you can spray your transparent base color over it. I personally like the look of ash sprayed, since it looks nice and even and not blotchy. But just depends on what ash you get, some will dye better than others though. What dyed good on one guitar can give you nightmares on others. That's why on swamp ash, we spray the transparent color on instead of dying, like Fender, PRS, etc does.

GF, are you doing your own finishes?

Maybe I'm mistaken, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you had someone else doing your finishing for you.

At least that's what I remember about the Blue Strat, but like I said, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall saying I did spray it. What the word "we" means is that I get the wood ready and decide on how it should be painted. I'm still buying stuff for my paint booth, but it won't be long before I'll be painting everything I do. Sorry that since I didn't have the equipment to do it right that I don't know what I'm talking about. I stand corrected then. Maybe that's why I'm not a VIP though.

Sorry that since I didn't have the equipment to do it right that I don't know what I'm talking about.

The equipment doesn't really matter.

I just asked if you had finishing experience or not, simple question, from reading the Blue Strat pages, I was under the impression that you didn't, and that if you did, please correct me so I won't presume that anymore.

It was an honest question.

And there are tons of topics about NOT staining ash! I only saw one, the green V that turn out kinda OK, but I have always being recomended to spray the stain or to use a translucent color.

For a my first ever, I don't think it looks that bad?

So now I need to grainfill it right?

then spray clear?

How bad is an unfilled surface?

I didn't said that it turn out bad. You said that it was blotchy, so you know that it wasn't perfect.

On to your question, you should had filled the grain before the color, at least on ash. But since you already colored it, you can use clear grain filler ot do it now. but it may or may not mess up the look of the guitar.

comparison on filled and unfilled. Now go to that thread and read it, he made some good points on finishing ash. I used the same method he did on my 1st build and it turned out great.

• 2 months later...

I've been really busy so this guitar has taken a really long time but...

Its almost finished! Overall I love how it turned out!

AlmostComplete.jpg

Tell me what you think

One thing though, how precise do the nut slot widths have to be? I cut teeth into a feeler gauge then checked the kerf in a piece of scrap and the slot was bigger than the feeler gauge size.

Here's a head on picture

almostfront2.jpg

The lightings not so good though

What did you seal it with? It looks pretty glossy.

I didn't seal it so it has faint grain lines, but hey its a peice of wood not a piece of plastic so I don't really mind. It buffed out pretty well.

Edited by Gregory