best finish?

hey guys im wondering could you guys give me the names of some of the brands of finish supplies you use, i really dont want to use the aerosol cans any more. and the problem with nitro laquer is that after a few weeks its still soft! is there a better product? i know the nitro looks great but i dont want to have to wait for weeks to finish it!

i read in one of the stew mac tutorials with dan e. that he only waited five days to finish sand and pollish the instrument in the tutorial. how? i did a black laquered bass and after four weeks it was still soft! why?

like the statement says, polyester is whats used by the pro shops and in the guitar industry.....anything else is outdated....if you want to be considered a professional, then you need to keep up with whats going on in the industry.....i know why darren uses what he does.....i also know why his ibanez finishes are the first to flake off in patches...and he asked what the best finish is......the answer is polyester

i think both finishes look great.i have seen many new esp and ibanez guitars with horrible finishes.i have also seen many with great finishes.i think it's the care taken by the person applying it rather than the type of finish used.

the word proffessional is used to describe a person who makes a living in a certain field.so that makes lgm a proffessional in polyeurethanes and vh a proffessional in polyester.i thought different opinions were encouraged in this forum.if i want info on polyesters i know who to ask and if i want info on polyeurethanes i know who to ask.everyone has an opinion based on their own personal experiences and everyones personal experiences are different.

but my experience is not in finishing.it is in proffessionalism.i deal with proffessionals everyday(even though i probably can't spell it right.)

like the statement says, polyester is whats used by the pro shops and in the guitar industry.....anything else is outdated....if you want to be considered a professional, then you need to keep up with whats going on in the industry.....i know why darren uses what he does.....i also know why his ibanez finishes are the first to flake off in patches...and he asked what the best finish is......the answer is polyester

That is one of the most arrogant comments I've ever heard.

Poly Urethane is every bit as professional as Polyester. Beyond that, the BEST acoustics still have a laquer or french polish finish, so I guess they aren't pro either huh?

Get off your high horse dude, Polyester is one of MANY types of finishes, it's the best for you, great, I'm not knocking that, but your indirect slam at me is not appreciated.

its not a knock unless you are insecure....he asked a question which is the best and i answered it.....pure and simple.....trying to equate it to acoustic is a huge leap of logic, but nice try anyway.....im not sure why you fight it so much.....for me, im always trying to get better and try new things and im a big believer in technology... we all know you take great pride and care with your finishes...hubris is definately not lost on you.....youve done very well with what you have and probably work harder than you should....but you should stop leaving yourself open all the time, because you dont know everything and you might just get schooled publicaly

What did I leave myself open on? I simply stated another professional finish option. There is absolutely nothing unprofessional about Poly Urethanes, for what it's worth, I've looked into Polyester, and it's nearly impossible to get here. I can't just bring it in from the United States thanks to Dangerous goods, and it costs more to get here than Poly Urethanes do anyway.

Poly Urethane is a component style paint, it gets good and durable. It polishes wonderfully, and flows out great. I'm not afraid of technology, nor do I shun it.

My comparison of laquer on acoustics was perfectly valid in the light of PRO shops using it. YOU stated that PRO shops use only polyesters. That simply is not true.

You stated...

if you want to be considered a professional, then you need to keep up with whats going on in the industry

Which is saying I'm not considered a professional because I don't use the so called "Industry standard"

I'm willing to try anything, which is why I finally switched from laquers, however, when a product is very difficult to get, it makes it hard to try.

its not a knock unless you are insecure....he asked a question which is the best and i answered it.....pure and simple

I'm not insecure, I'm just not arrogant. he asked a question, did you ever notice on the rules page that it states

Whenever possible remember that people are here to learn and help each other. Getting or giving a different opinion about how or what to do is not an attack on your ideals and ways of doing something, just a healthy way of viewing and learning different ways to go about what needs to be done. After all there must be well over 20 different ways just to apply paint to a guitar alone

That being the case, YOUR way might not be the BEST way for everyone. But by making a statement like PRO shops use this, you are knocking anyone who doesn't, which is completely unfair.

I admit fully that I don't know everything, every single day is a learning process, you however come across as knowing EVERYTHING.

A better answer to what is the BEST finish, is one that is durable, consistent, easy to work with, and available to you.

There is no ONE best way to do something, that's the great part about this world. I'm a small one man operation, if I could afford it, I'd have CNC machines and robotics to do this for me too, but I enjoy the hands on part. I enjoy spraying my polyurethanes, and I enjoy watching the depth come out of the finish as I polish it.

I'm nowhere near saying my way is the BEST way, but it's the best way for me at this time and place.

hey guys im wondering  could you guys give me the names of some of the brands of finish supplies you use, i really dont want to use the aerosol cans any more.

There are many different finishes available on the open market that are used every day on guitars, automotive finishing products for one which can be either really expensive or cost about the same as a few cans of aerosols. I've seen guitar bodys sprayed with both those and common household paints made for doing trim work that turned out every bit as professional looking as some of the $300-400 jobs I've seen. Hey they are made to last, durable and specifically designed for wood finishing but most people don't even think about them, plus they come in a world of colors. Most are easy to spray, brush or even roll on.

the problem with nitro laquer is that after a few weeks its still soft! is there a better product? i know the nitro looks great but i dont want to have to wait for weeks to finish it!

If you ask the professionals that have been around for years chances are you will find the opinion that nitrocellulose lacquer may take years to fully cure if it does then, for the most part it is hard enough to start polishing out under ideal conditions in a moderate length of time.

i read in  one of the stew mac tutorials with dan e. that he only waited five days to finish sand and pollish the instrument in the tutorial. how? i did a black laquered bass and after four weeks it was still soft! why?

You'll have to understand that Dan was not only able to work in ideal conditions in order for that lacquer to finish out the way it did, he has years of experience doing that sort of work.

i still think that is one of the most beautiful pieces of work i have ever seen.what kind of finish did you use? :D seriously

Its called "Acid Cure Lacquer". Standard Beckers brand furniture lacquer, the type used on high wear applications. Dries in minutes, perfect amber toning. No good for lacquering over colours (green or blue for example) because of the amber tint.

But, its perfect for me. But, hey, im not proffessional, i still use hand tools to build my guitars.

hey rhoads, how long does that acid cure laquer take to cure? and how well does it polish? i dont mind if its amber, im doing a semi hollow walnut with carved mahogany top so it would look great with an amber finish! im not one for alot of colors i like to see the woods natural beuty!

could you tell me were to purchase this finish? and about what it costs?

and how is it aplied? i have an air compressor and an air brush but i think im gonna buy a bigger spray gun something with a bigger fluid bottle.

thanks for everyones help! i will post some pics as soon as my two guitars are done!