Evh1 Finish On A Lp Body

stevenh

Well, for me, flame maple just doesn't get me all excited. Sure it's beautiful, but I had other ideas for this guitar. Here's what I used step by step:

1. I brushed on SEVERAL coats of Stew Mac Grain Filler and let dry for a day.

2. I applied 4 coats of krylon grey primer.

3. Sanded with 400 grit, and applied 2 more coats

4. I applied 4 coats of Krylon Black Gloss

5. Let the guitar hang for 3 days.

6. Tape the guitar with 3M Plastic Tape in 3/4", 1/2" and 1/8"

7. Sprayed 4 coats of Krylon Glossy White

8. After 8 hours, I removed the Plastic Tape.

9. Let the guitar hang for 3 days.

10. Applied 15 coats of Krylon Clear Gloss

11. Let the guitar hang for 7 days

12. Wet sand the guitar starting with 320 grit to level out all the ridges from the tape, and continued all the way up to 1500 grit.

13. I then used Stew Macs #2 Medium polishing compound to get a nice shine on the guitar.

14. After letting the guitar hang for another day, I applied DuraGloss Swirl Mark Remover, and was able to get rid of most of the fine scratches and get a high gloss finish.

That's it in 14 easy steps.

:D

Edited by stevenh

Guest AlexVDL

I'm sorry but if I had such a beautiful flametop I would have made it a transparent EVH job so you can see the flames thru the paint. Very good paintjob though!!

But oh my god what a shame for that nice piece maple :D

Seriously, I don't know why you did it!! I did that to mine. 5150 LP but the only reason was that it had a venner on top and it was impossible to sand it and refinish without messing it up, but once I saw that your guitar had a cap on it, bummer man. And above that it had an awsome figure too.

But if thats what rocks your boat... I guess as long as you like it that's all that matters :D

Well, I appreciate everyones input on the LP. To be very honest, I'm one of those guys who could care less about the amount of flame or quilt on my guitar. To me, it's just a piece of wood. I actually did put a trans blue finish on the guitar, but it didn't do it for me, so I went with the EVH look.