My Frankenvoodoo

Hey guys!

I ws wondering about the nut on the lefty neck I'm taking off a lefty MIM Strat. I'm putting it on a right handed body and want to know what to do about the nut. Does it just pop off and I can reverse it? What tools should be used to accomodate this? Or do I even have to reverse the nut? (I haven't looked at it yet, it's on it's way.)

Thanks for all your expert opinions!!!

[G]

You will need to reverse it as the slots are different in both depth and width. In theroy I suppose you could just reverse it but in practice I am not so sure. I have never removed one so Im not sure if it is realistic to expect it to come out intact. You'll have to wait for someone else to chime in on that.

Westheman is right. There is a front and a back of a nut. The back usuaully has a bit of an angle where the string comes out.

I'd say the easiest option would be to buy a new lefty nut.

Tap the nut out from the side with a small awl and a hammer. Turn the nut 180 degrees and tap back into place. There is no need to purchase a new nut or re-slot the old one on your application. Just turn the nut around so that the low-E is where the high-E used to be.

BTW, I own a MIM Strat and I have taken the nut off several times. It will not come off in pieces unless you use too much pressure or it's already cracked. It will work with your new application for the neck.

Hey guys!

I ws wondering about the nut on the lefty neck I'm taking off a lefty MIM Strat. I'm putting it on a right handed body and want to know what to do about the nut. Does it just pop off and I can reverse it? What tools should be used to accomodate this? Or do I even have to reverse the nut? (I haven't looked at it yet, it's on it's way.)

Thanks for all your expert opinions!!!

[G]

Now there's a cool idea...

The nut needs the proper break angle coming off it and going to the peg head--that's why you can't simply turn the nut around. If you look at your guitars the edge facing the body is flat and high, the edge facing the headstock is sloped or rounded.

Just buy a new nut --you can get preslotted nuts for Fender. This is what I've bought at Stewmac

BUT: they don't fit all Asian 'fender-style' necks! The one I put on the Stagg is too wide and the slots don't line up perfectly. I'm going to have to cut my own.

For your Fender neck, since you probably laid out a nice packet, it makes sense to put it on your guitar and have a new nut custom-made for it...doesn't cost much and you'll have peace of mind.