2 New Projects For The Year

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got some progress done today. I glued my truss rod the other night, today i dirmeled otu some spots so the leds fight in the neck. I also drilled a couple of holes in the back of the neck for the led wires to pass through. Tomarrow im going go glue my fretbaord, for now here is links to a couple of pics of the fretboard on the neck with the leds lit.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB.../Picture006.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB.../Picture007.jpg

well just reglued the maple neck, everything looked okay this time, but looks can be misleading. I will look tomarrow, if there are still gaps then i will first cry, then fill the gaps with glue and see if i can pull them together if i cant then im going to putty them and just paint the neck, i kinda prefer a painted neck in some aspects and with this guitar i think it will acent it very nicely. I was also think may painting the sides of the neck black and leaving the back maple would look weird but i think it would be kinda cool also, has anyone seen anything like this?

Well this is a good way to start the day... I just looked at my fretboard and the freaking thing is worse then the first time i glued it.... I dont understand why it wont glue flat... Maybe its the blocks im using to clamp... IDK, so now i get to remove the freaking board yet again and try it ONE MORE TIME. They say third time is a charm right. I just dont get it, when i glued my first guitars board down it was perfectly fine.... Well here goes nothing.

how much clamps do you use? and what kind? because my schools shop has these crappy wood ones that dont put equal preasure on all parts, so my glue joint sucked. then i used 12 big C clamps with a couple wood blocks on both sides and used a couple tiny C clamps...got a perfect glue joint, maybe that helps?

I have big c's little c's and a couple of quick grips. I think my problem is that when we put the blocks and clamps on there we arent putting them close enough to the outter edges of the fretboard, just in the center. So when we tighten them is pushing down the center all the way down the fretboard and the edgs are left up maybe :D ? Im about to take it back of and try again.

well i got the board off yet again, in the process broke off the leads of two leds, so i switched them out, tomarrow im gonig to work on getting those flush and sanding the glue off the neck and fretboard, and get them ready to glue again, either toamrrow or wednesday not sure. I looked at some old pics of my first guitar being built and we used a different method. im going to try that this time and we will see how it goes. Also has anyone every used like old towels to glue with? I was thinkin if i piled up like 4 old towels if i could use that as a clamping block? It woud be soft and think so the fretboard wouldnt get damages, least i dont think it would, i dont nkow i might test this and see, it would give me more options in clamping.

Well, it might work, I dunno as I've never tried it. I would think that the towels would still want to compress more towards the center of the fretboard, leaving less force on the fingerboard at the edges. If you don't have the time or inclination to make cauls then maybe a piece of 1/4" plywood or plexiglass. Just something that would be flexible to conform to the radius of the board, but rigid enough to give you a more even clamping pressure from the center of the board to its edge.

Nate Robinson :D