2 New Projects For The Year

Today i glued the mirror top on the guitar as seen in the picture below. I used some heavy pots to set on top not clamps cause i didnt want to squeez the epoxy out, i wanted as much to stay as possible. I know it looks scratched as hell, dont worry that is just a protective layer of plastic, it peels off. Either tomarrow or sunday i will route the binding channel, and get that out of the way.

Picture010.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, today was productive. I did something that scared the living frik out of me and actually pulled it off. I routed the plastic back for the recessed trem. The recess was already cut before i glued the plastic on, dont ask why i did that. Ive learned a lot and if i ever have to do another mirror top, i have a whole new precedure. Well anyway i was scared cause i couldnt see where the wall was and just didnt want to cut to far over, this tried my patience all morning. I had to go uber slow and stop every few sec and remessure. Anyway, here is the out come. I still have a couple of sides to even up a little bit more, i had to stop early so i will finish up in the next couple of days.

IMG_0151.jpg

Here is another pic of the jem with trem and neck with fretboard, basicly what it will look like.*NOTE, the neck is not actually that far back, i just put it there for this quick pick cause i havent totally routed the neck pocket all the way out*,

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/IMG_0155.jpg

here is another pic of it just in the dark, just for fun lol

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...em/IMG_0157.jpg

To heck with that one man I want to see the flying V done!!!!!!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its been raining here and i havent been able to work at like all. Next week i pick woodshop back up so i will have a place in doors with all the tools i need, so expect to starting a lot of progress within the next couple of weeks or so. I Have at least been hard at work doing something guitar related, i designed my 7 string prototype. Just debating which one i like better.

7stringproto2.jpg

7stringproto.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well im in some troble. I was doing practice routes on the jem today. I have to get the route for the binding exactly dead even flush with the top surface of the mirror. This is because if the binding route is to deep, i cant sand the mirror down, and if the binding is too high, i cant sand it down because i have no way of protecting the mirror while i sand... Any ideas on how to do this, my router is retarded.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase what I said earlier. I know you're better off relying on careful attention and precision, rather than tape. Tape isn't going to stop any "sh*t" from happening. Maybe I haven't bound a mirror topped guitar before, but I have layed enough binding to know what works well and what's a waste of time.

peace,

russ

I appologize if that sounded harsh, that was not my aim. Perhaps tape will help, but it sounds like you're supporting his using sandpaper. If he sands the binding, it is very likely he's going to scratch that mirror. If he uses a straight scraper, however, the chances are little to none. I think this was a simple misunderstaning(can I just blame it on me having a fever of 101 right now? :D Perhaps I'm getting a little heated :D ).

peace,

russ