Prs Style 7 String

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hay man It's look'en dam nice but are you sure about that blue man I think this one look's deadly the way it is B) it's something about the EMG -707 that's just working with the Natural maple! Hey Maybe you could do a burst, the dark blue to the natural maple in the center now that would look deadly, what do think man?

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

hummmmmm, nope!

I love the way that the maple looks natural, but I'll get bored with it eventually. And ever since I remember I always wanted a Carvin with the blue burst, and I think that will be what I will end up with on this one. But not to the extend that the end will be completely black, but just stained.

hummmmmm, nope!

HAHAHAHA :D Ok just an idea

I think That burst Idea of your's will look great!!, now I have never used an

EMG-707 befor so How are going to raise it up and down, and are you going to use some foam or something in the bottom for the pickup to sit on for support?

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Well DAM IT, I did not get any spring's with my 45DC Ohwell B)

I was thinking about doing a finish like the one on thie Mikas guitar http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/010/default.htm but, I left the black too strong and this is what I came up with.

DSC01873.jpg

So instead, I think I will leave it like this, it will be a dark midnight blue 7string I remembered that Carvin use to have a color like this, I looked around but couldn't find it, instead I think they replaced it with the one on the link below, a dark purple.

http://carvin.com/wood_finish/images/large/qtp.jpg

This is coming along great, if all is fine with the weather, I will finish clear coating by next weekend and polish in about 2 more weeks.

Man forget about what I said earlyer :D That is realy cool I love how dark it look's!! man this one's moveing at

warpspeed Mister SULU

sulu1.jpg

HAHAHA IAM A STAR TREK NERD B)

I will be using DEFT, I don't have access to poly spraying equipment and this guitar already used all the budget I was allowed for. Funny you mentioned Hyunsu, I run on a great chance of meeting him this summer, I'm supposed to go there for one year starting July. Maybe we can cut all trees and fill our closets with guitars in a year period.

Just got done with 3 coats of sanding sealer about 4 passes each and 4 hrs apart. I had it under my lamps so it cured pretty fast. Tomorrow, sanding to 600 and to start having fun with the nitro.

DSC01879.jpg

another shot from a little farther

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01876.jpg

And a shot of the back with the walnut grain filled with black epoxy. I must add that it looks nicer than with the grain just filled clear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01875.jpg

Now the task at hand is the neck... I was thinking about scalloping it just a bit, but after getting a hold of it, the 6100 wire is so huge that I will leave it be.

This is the best one yet man by far That color came out just deadly congrats!!

I can't wait to see this thing done!

EDIT:> man just looken at this thing is makeing me so jealous I would love to be able to do finish that well Well I guess you gave me something to work towards man :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

Matt, doing this is not as hard as you might think. I have saved on my PC 3 tutorials that are on this site on staining. One by Drak, one by Perry (rhoads56) and one by David (Myka). Of this I used David since I was gunning to a finish on one of his guitars 010 . I did almost everything to the T but, I left a lot of black when I sanded back and it looked realy dark, without the overtones that I wanted. So I gota wet rag and rubbed the darn thing until almost no stain was picked up by it. I waited until dry and using a damp cloth I slightly wet the piece to see how it looked and it was beautiful, lot of ripples, so I decided to let it be!

I will post this here since I know that David won't mind, especialy with all the countless tutorials he have posted.

To prep the wood I wet it and sand back to 400 grit about 3 or 4 times. This reduces the amount of grain raising to almost nothing.

To get the color I got on #010 the process is like this:

1. Saturate with black and let it dry

2. Add blue to the center and purple around the edges (go heavy), let dry

3. Sand back with 400 grit until you expose a good amount of white maple again. Don't go too far or you will risk a not so deep finish.

4. Add blue all over the top

5. While still wet add black around the edges and using a rag with purple dye blend the black and blue areas together.

6. If it looks too dark add some blue into the center to lighten it up.

7. If the whole thing looks too dark wipe it back with a damp rag.

8. Repeat 4-7 until you get the results you want.

You can always satureate a rag with water and pull away most of the dye. Also you can let it dry, sand back, and start over. I don't think you will need to once you get the hang of it. #010 was my experimental guitar with this dye technique and it turned out pretty cool (I think!). Treat the dyes like watercolors and blend them on the wood itself. Don't be afraid of using too much dye either. The wood will only take so much and after a while you are just pushing it around. This is when you can really start blending it.

~David

Gygabite. It helped a lot thanks! I'm working on something like a jig with a smaller sanding disk to see itf it helps. I had a lot of trouble keeping the edges on the top horns. And for the inside I used my contour Dremel. that thins is a life saver. I need to invest in a lot more routing tools to make this easier, but it won't happen until next year. So I will keep you posted of what I come up with here!

Screwdelulu. there you go, thanks Myka, not me for it.