Body binding done-

Original body that went to the great scrap pile in the sky

Macassar ebony 'board w/abalone dots-

board

Headstock in progress-

headstock

'Board laid on neck-

board/neck

Binding sucks. Ugghh. Got a few thin spots in the binding from either not getting the binding taped down tightly enough or not getting the binding ledge deep enough. Gonna hafta porefill the back & sides w/CA due to runs that I can't sand out due to 'too' thin binding. Abalone dots are a b**ch! If they're a tiny bit 'proud' you sand thru the 'figure' & end up w/dots that look closer to pearl than abalone. Aggravating, but not enough to punch 'em out & redo. Not that noticeable w/the figure in the ebony, anyway.

Yes, I realize I oughtta move the G string tuner hole inboard an 1/8" or so.

I'll finish binding the headstock, finish drilling for the tuners & route the neck pocket this weekend. Sorry no pics for a while, but the binding job was rather tedious & not real pretty while in progress.

Edited by Crazy Carl

looking pretty good so far dood. I like the design :D

Can you give us a mock up shot of the neck and body together????

Thanks, Perry. Means a lot, comin' from you, mate!

I'll shoot a mock up pic tomorrow- shop on base is closed on Fridays. The design is totally not original- headstock is a Ken Lawrence take-off & the body shape is an amalgamation of 2 different Terry McInturff bodies.

looking great, but im totally with RGGR, like I have nothing wrong with the pics its just that they are a bit excessive...it doesnt really fit on my screen :D. i dont think he meant any offense, just probably a lil annoyed because its a hassle to move around to see the whole picture

but again, its looking amazing. i love that fingerboard. keep up the good work, this is a project ill be looking out for

I have nice fast ADSL connection........but people with dial-up will really appreciate the clogging up of their bandwith.....and definte will not return to check-up on the progress of your project.

It's having to scroll around just to look at the photo that bugs me...how about posting smaller sizes (get the XP image resizer powertool, you can resize your snaps with a right-click)

The pic's didn't bother me as much as the flurry of petty replies. I really like the Yahoo photo album method of presenting pic's. It is nice when you can look at the group of photos as thumbnails and enlarge the ones you wanna look at closer.

Nice work! Very clean. I like the Ebony,Mac on the fretboard and Gab on the stock? As much as I dig Gaboon's jet black look, I really like Maccasar's bold grain and colors. Binding work looks great, really adds class to the look of the guitar. Can't wait to see more progress pic's.

:D Rich B)

RGGR, in case you haven't noticed, I don't post here often. In fact, I've never even seen a rules section. I just try to follow accepted guidelines for not being a 'net jackass. My point was that if you were gonna be a wiseass, so could I.

Dunno why the pics are so big. I thought Photobucket hacked 'em down to 250kb automatically? If the pic size is too much I'll start hackin 'em down a bit.

Again, RGGR, advice, tips, links to the rules section, etc. are always appreciated, but some BS, sarcastic, 'cool guy' attitude is just gonna piss me off.

Edited by Crazy Carl

• 1 month later...

Got everything porefilled, sanded back, stained, etc. Scraped the stain off the binding (what a bitch!). Made the scratch plate & trussrod cover.

Stain is 20ml 'cherry red', 5ml 'vintage amber' & 16oz. alcohol. Not as red IRL as the pics, more a burnt/rust kinda thing. Think it'll really pop once I seal 'er up w/shellac.

topshot.jpg

More front/body shots-

front shot

'nother frontal

Nice shot of the 'board

Here's the trussrod cover I made from fretboard scrap. Wanted to run w/the grain length-wise, but the scrap was about 1/8" too short. Still cool, I think.

trussrod cover

Gotta make a nut & the jack plate this week. Hope to be spraying nitro by the weekend.