My First Project

xlr8

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got around to 'bursting the Tele's today, as you can see the grain defects on the Blue one have all but gone.

5fadd085.jpg

Here's the honeyburst with brown shading,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/29b322db.jpg

Also inlaid the abalone dots and the white side markers, just the sanding to come

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/5da89268.jpg

I use this neck jig to round over the back of the necks on my pin router but it's also really good for holding the neck whilst drilling and fitting the side markers - Thanks Myka :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/d56d8745.jpg

Should have them finished this weekend.

I love the tone that the flame took, especialy on the horn area. For me I would shot a toner coat over the whole guitar, it looks like it brought all the flame out! Very nice, With all this teles between you Drak and BigD are making me want to make one, And I don't like teles.

For me I would shot a toner coat over the whole guitar, it looks like it brought all the flame out! 

That's exactly what I did. After sanding the previous clearcoat I shot a toner coat of the same blue dye mixed in with some clear then shot the burst with a weak Black mixture followed by another couple of clear coats.

:D

Nice, that's why the amber one looks a bit darker right, the color it took is that "umber stain" color that Carvin uses. Very nice indeed. I mentioned the toner coat, because the center still looked kinda light, but it after looking at the one above before the burst and the new one, it is obvious. I did the same thing but with the stain, just added a touch of black and went all over the edge.

I use this neck jig to round over the back of the necks on my pin router but it's also really good for holding the neck whilst drilling and fitting the side markers - Thanks Myka  :D

Cool! It is good to see this jig in use. What a great idea to use it for the side dot drilling. I'll have to do that next time.

By the way, those guitars are looking sweet! I love the bursting over the dyed tops. What a cool effect and executed very well. Love it!

I use this neck jig to round over the back of the necks on my pin router but it's also really good for holding the neck whilst drilling and fitting the side markers - Thanks Myka  :D

Cool! It is good to see this jig in use. What a great idea to use it for the side dot drilling. I'll have to do that next time.

By the way, those guitars are looking sweet! I love the bursting over the dyed tops. What a cool effect and executed very well. Love it!

Wow, praise indeed. I have learnt so much from this forum and one day hope to give something back. I'm also in the process of building a modified version of your neck pocket jig for my next project - a Les Paul Junior (deluxe, sort of :D)

I got around to fretting the necks which meant that I could temporarily assemble them to check the neck/bridge alignment before marking and drilling all the holes for the hardware (and the string ferrules on the Honeyburst). The bodies have been colour sanded prior to final polish hence the matt finish.

61a92cc2.jpg69573a7e.jpg

Now it's lots of polishing and then final assembly.

here's a pic of the headstock logo,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/6a96c4a4.jpg

and one of the the cases these babies will live in,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/8daec963.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well they're finally done, the pics aren't great but they give you an idea of the finished items.

730cc918.jpg

8be0c809.jpg

The light spec in the lower pic is a reflection from the edge of the Bigsby. :D

So many people on this forum have helped me without even realising it, reading and re-reading all the hints and tips let me get through these, my first guitars, all the more easily.

Nice guitars, i would have loved to see a TOM style setup on the blue one but the bigsby looks cool.  On the second pic is that a cut out bit i see under the 22nd fret? it just looks odd

It seems to be for the truss rod adjustment.

Very nice guitars. Did you give the Brown one to Sian? or am i just imagining that?

Matt

Nice guitars, i would have loved to see a TOM style setup on the blue one but the bigsby looks cool.  On the second pic is that a cut out bit i see under the 22nd fret? it just looks odd

Although it's hard to see it is indeed a TOM style bridge on two studs that go through the pickup plate. As strange fruit noted the cut out is to access the truss rod adjuster - musicman style.

It seems to be for the truss rod adjustment.

Very nice guitars. Did you give the Brown one to Sian? or am i just imagining that?

Matt

Hi Matt, Sian is indeed the new owner.

For those of you who have no idea what we're talking about, Sian is the lovely lady who organises GASfest here in the UK. A get together of like minded gearheads to rock the night away and raise money for the Drake Music project - a charity who, through technology, enable severely disabled kids to make music. Not long after I started the build of these two Teles it struck me that Sian would be the most deserving recipient of my handiwork and it was duly presented to her at the beginning of the evening.

P1010028.jpg

Beautiful work 'XLR8' !!!!!!

I'm particularly liking the Blue Tele. I love the way you've shaped the tops on the guitars. It looks very tactile.

I'm in the UK too (Wales). Where did you get your materials from (Craft Supplies maybe?)? The headstock logos look cool too. Are they decals and did you make them or get them done for you?

Sorry about all of the questions but I'm in the progress of making my first guitar at the moment (also a Tele,of sorts!) and I'm trying to find out as much as I can. It's sickening when you see how many great suppliers the people in the U.S. have compared to the U.K.. I suppose it's the same with everything though!

All the Best!                            JTM45.

Hi JTM45, thanks for the compliments. I source my materials from all over - the mahagony came from London and the Maple from LA (my son is studying in California). The headstock logos were made at the local sign maker, cut from vinyl sheets. I visit the US with my job on a regular basis and manage to pick bits and pieces as I need them. PM me if you need anything as I may already have it in the UK.

As an aside, I got to meet Bill Jehle at GASfest - nice guy, nice guitar :D