My First Project

xlr8

I didn't document the building of this, my first project, as they've been done to death in the past but I thought you guys might like a look.

74c56ff3.jpg

Flame maple top with ivoroid binding over a one piece Brazilian mahogany back. The neck pick up ring is made from flame maple which will be left natural and clearcoated whilst the body will be double stained and finished in a Blue burst. The neck is Birdseye maple with an Ebony fretboard, I've yet to fit the frets and Abalone dot markers - obviously.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/9606338b.jpg

Here's a good shot of the Bigsby and controls. I've recessed the control plate so it is flush with the top

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/f2f72750.jpg

The neck plate is also flush with the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/13e14ef9.jpg

Nice shot of back showing the one piece Brazilian Mahogany body and birdseye maple neck.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks real nice.  Just one question, how much string angle do you have between your bridge saddles and the Bigsby?

I should of mentioned that the bridge is just resting on the plate, I haven't yet fitted the posts for the TOM style bridge. I didn't measure the angle exactly but when I mocked it up it was around 10 degrees.

I didnt say it over on the IM forums, so I shall say it here - excellent work so far! :D

Cheers Andy. Is it just you and me that go between the two forums?

Nope, im here too.

But i dont post very often over there.

Looking good by the way.

Very cool retro modern mix thing going on!

And that recessed control panel is so cool, as is the wooden pick-up surround.

What Pick-ups are going into this beasty?

Matt

Edit: Also, got any pics of the other guitars?

Edited by Strange Fruit

What Pick-ups are going into this beasty?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Probably Bareknuckles, I fancy a Stormy Monday in the neck and a Brown Sugar for the Bridge.

Today I grain filled the Mahogany on the back of both Teles and Sprayed 3 coats of Urethane clear. Cool thing was when I sprayed the clear it really brought out the figure in the Mahogany and there is some nice flame in there.

Did a quick test on the staining;

3cffb1e7.jpg

On the left is blue on Blue and the right one is Blue on Black.

Today I grain filled the Mahogany on the back of both Teles and Sprayed 3 coats of Urethane clear. Cool thing was when I sprayed the clear it really brought out the figure in the Mahogany and there is some nice flame in there.

I'm sure you mean the maple, I don't see any figure on the mahogany, which is the back brownish wood if I'm not wrong! Black and blue looks way better, make sure that you sand evenly or the black will overpower on different areas. Did you sealed (cleared) the maple before staining? At least this is what I get from your post, or just the back?

You guitar looks good, I don't fancy teles, but Drak has made me look them a bit different, the only thing I don't like is the binding, I would have done it natural since you are using flamed maple as a top. How thick is the body? 2", it looks huge because of the heel, and I can't tell, nice job recessing the neck plate, I use ferrules becasue I don't like the feel of neck plates in the back since they add so much bulk.

I'm sure you mean the maple, I don't see any figure on the mahogany, which is the back brownish wood if I'm not wrong! Black and blue looks way better, make sure that you sand evenly or the black will overpower on different areas. Did you sealed (cleared) the maple before staining? At least this is what I get from your post, or just the back?

Hi Maiden,

No, there is some flame in the Mahogany - I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. The maple was stained straight onto the wood with no sealer beforehand. When I do the guitar I'll stain and sand the Black before staining again with the Blue. I'll then cover it with a few coats of clear before spraying some Black burst shading at the edges. When thats done it will be alternating several coats of clear and then wet sanding until the finish is deep and smooth but not too thick.

Cool, I have seen a lot of quilt on the mahogany, but not flamed, did see a flamed limba though. Nice, so you use laquer to seal the maple, I had a hard time sealing the scraps that Itested on (quilt) and decided to give sanding sealer a try, boy what a difference, this thing sealed the quilt in about 3 triple coats, while I was on the 6th with the straight laquer and I could still see the grain when the laquer was dried. I too use the black sand method that I got from Myka hewre in the forum, link to my thread I wouldn't do it any other way, I did try blue on blue, but the black gives it a far superior 3D look.

Cool, I have seen a lot of quilt on the mahogany, but not flamed, did see a flamed limba though.  Nice, so you use laquer to seal the maple, I had a hard time sealing the scraps that  Itested on (quilt) and decided to give sanding sealer a try, boy what a difference, this thing sealed the quilt in about 3 triple coats, while I was on the 6th with the straight laquer and I could still see the grain when the laquer was dried.  I too use the black sand method that I got from Myka hewre in the forum, link to my thread I wouldn't do it any other way, I did try blue on blue, but the black gives it a far superior 3D look.

Yeah, I've been reading your thread. Just beautiful and tbh your body shape and carve are as good as anything I've seen from PRS or Carvin. I've been looking forward to seeing it finished and it looks great. :D

Nice mahogany, is it too much to ask were did you get it and how much per bf it was? I've been told that in PA there is a place that sells nice figured mahogany and it is about 1.5 hrs away. I might take the drive before I get out of here and get some. THat one looks like the one that Gilmer had on his site, lat year by Dec he was asking 65 for a 1pc blank but when I got my tax money and checked he bumped the price to 125. bummer. Too much for my budget at the time. I'm looking foward to see this one finish, I finish the headstock on mine thursday, and it plays fine. See you around.

Nice mahogany, is it too much to ask were did you get it and how much per bf it was?  I've been told that in PA there is a place that sells nice figured mahogany and it is about 1.5 hrs away.  I might take the drive before I get out of here and get some.  THat one looks like the one that Gilmer had on his site, lat year by Dec he was asking 65 for a 1pc blank but when I got my tax money and checked he bumped the price to 125.  bummer.  Too much for my budget at the time.  I'm looking foward to see this one finish, I finish the headstock on mine thursday, and it plays fine.  See you around.

you should checkout gilmer right now. Hees got some prety decent 1 peice blanks right now for 65. But you have to go over $100 anyways so You might as well go for teh nicer peice.

Nice mahogany, is it too much to ask were did you get it and how much per bf it was?  I've been told that in PA there is a place that sells nice figured mahogany and it is about 1.5 hrs away.  I might take the drive before I get out of here and get some.  THat one looks like the one that Gilmer had on his site, lat year by Dec he was asking 65 for a 1pc blank but when I got my tax money and checked he bumped the price to 125.  bummer.  Too much for my budget at the time.  I'm looking foward to see this one finish, I finish the headstock on mine thursday, and it plays fine.  See you around.

Hi Maiden,

I`m in the UK so I`m afraid my supplier wouldn`t be much help to you. I bought enough for several guitars and the price worked out around 65US per guitar, which for the UK is very cheap but I did buy in bulk.

Finished the staining today. These are as stained with no clear coat and unfortunately the flash washed out the blue.

a1b9ed5d.jpg

The binding has been scraped on the Honeyburst but not the blue, after a few coats of clear I shall shade the edges lightly then more clear to finish up.

:D 

Those tops were crying for a 2 step stain job, but they look awsome anyway, very nice figure right in the center.

They got them :D the Honeyburst is over Brown and the Blue is over Black. The use of flash and because they're not clearcoated yet means they appear washed out in the pics and lack depth.

I should be spraying the clear today or tomorrow. Then I have to fit the Abalone dots, thin the headstock, and install the nuts and frets. I'm going to spray the headstock but finish the back of the neck in an oil/wax finish a la Musicman.

Those guitars are jaw dropping! congrats, they're gorgeous, both of them, I didn't think it'd be possible to build guitars in the UK( because of humidity and all, i dunno i'm weird), i assume you own all tools and all, I tell you, i live in Venezuela , where mahogany is supossed to grow! and i have never seen such beautiful pieces, when it still could be found here we got decent mahogany, but never such exquisite pieces :D

Those guitars are jaw dropping! congrats, they're gorgeous, both of them, I didn't think it'd be possible to build guitars in the UK( because of humidity and all, i dunno i'm weird), i assume you own all tools and all, I tell you, i live in Venezuela , where mahogany is supossed to grow! and i have never seen such beautiful pieces, when it still could be found here we got decent mahogany, but never such exquisite pieces :D

Thanks Eddie,

I got round to applying the first few clear coats before I wet sand and shade the edges.

56c0a8e0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/11e383df.jpg

That's a reflection in the lower horn on the Blue one.

I have to go away for a few days on busines but should have these finished up by the end of next week - fingers crossed.

:D

Can you post a pic of that blue one but looking at it from the front, if possible I will like to see how the grain looks I think that on that pic it is reflecting lines from the wall or the ceiling.

The lines you saw are not reflections but in the grain, they don't show up in daylight - only in the flash. I knew they were there but it didn't bother me as this is the first guitar I've built and it's more of an experiment than anything else.

38149533.jpg