Grizzly Guitar Question

landen

I have a grizzly catalog and saw their samba kit guitar, it kinda looks like a prs. I was thinking of trying to build my first guitar and was wondering if anyone has these kits? what do you think of the quality? And does anyone know where I can get info on Samba guitars? I tried searching the net but no luck. thanks for your help.

I'm quite curious, too, as these look decent quality.

Regarding the veneer-- how do they veneer a compound curve, or does the photo only make it LOOK like a compound curve when in fact it's not?

Greg

Regarding the veneer-- how do they veneer a compound curve, or does the photo only make it LOOK like a compound curve when in fact it's not?

I imagine its pretty thin and that they use a vaccum press to form it.

Ah, so it's the Heirloom guitar, then. The Samba isn't quite like a PRS (though similar) and comes with a maple neck.

The Samba looks pretty sweet, but I'm not sure I like a Floyd on a PRS style guitar.

Greg

Hey all, I'm glad to find some posts about the Grizzly kits. I talked with their folks at the NAMM show and the ones I talked with didn't know much about them. The big buck tools, they knew about. lol One of their customer serv. guys knew a bit more, but still couldn't answer all of my questions. Anyway, a couple of questions and comments.

Westhemann- can u tell me what the width of the neck is at the nut and also the scale length. U probably know, but if u measure from the nut to the 12th fret that's 1/2 the scale length. Also, u said the maple is a veneer, can u tell me approx how thick it is along the edge of the body. Finally, do the pickups have 2 or 4 wires coming out of each one? If they have 4, then u can re-wire it to split the humbuckers for a single coil sound ala PRS. Thx

Devon- I just did a parts Strat with a Saga body and it was okay. The first one they sent didn't have a good joint where the body halves were glued, but they exchanged it with no hassle. I used a J.B.Player Strat neck that I had sitting around, Fender Tex. Spcl's and gold hardware from Stew Mac. I had Acme Guitar wire up the pots, etc and then I wired in the pickups and jack, etc. It was for my son and I don't think he's picked up his Tele since!

Javacody- Just an FYI, Les Pauls have always had a mahogany neck. Maybe some of the 'entry level' ones had maple, but that would be the only ones. Same for the PRS guitars. Most of those have mahogany necks. The McCarty's have an all rosewood neck option. Those feel 'played in' out of the box, but I haven't decided how I like the sound.

I almost forgot, u can look at the assembly manual for the Heirloom kits at Grizzly's web site. I glanced at it and found a couple of glitches..as in they only talk about bolt on necks and the Samba and PRS style kits have glue in necks..that much I did find out when I called their cust serv. folks.

Also, if you've never built a guitar, Stewart MacDonald has a great video that's done by Dan Earlywine about building a solid body guitar. He does a Strat type, but it's very thorough and has a lot of good info.

Edited by CaptPokey

I think he meant if you used a maple neck it would partially even out the darkness of the solid mahogany body.

A parts strat with a Saga body is a far cry from a Saga kit. If you upgrade all the hardware and electronics you'll have a guitar that sounds alright (probably), but the workmanship on the kit still shows.

True on both counts. I haven't seen a complete Saga kit other than zip-tied to a display a yr ago at NAMM, so I can't comment on their overall quality.

This yr Grizzly had their President's guitar (the one on the cover of the catolog) on display, and it's realy done well! If that any indication of the kind of quality he wants in his products, I'd have to vote for a Grizzly kit.

• 1 year later...

I have a grizzly catalog and saw their samba kit guitar, it kinda looks like a prs. I was thinking of trying to build my first guitar and was wondering if anyone has these kits? what do you think of the quality? And does anyone know where I can get info on Samba guitars? I tried searching the net but no luck. thanks for your help.

Hey MAn I bought a Grizzly guitar kit, with the floyd rose, and I am totally stoked on the kit....it plays much like a PRS, but better somewhat...I ended up replacing the pickups with a George lynch at the top and a pearly gates at the bridge, and it made a huge difference in sound. I used 30 coats of LAquer to finish it, and I even inlayed Paua Abalonr in the neck and the body.....I also inlayed a 1/4 carat champagne diamond in the Head and a 1/5 carat emerald in the back of the head.....If you want to seea pic let me know.........

Brian

i have the fixed bridge kit from about a year and a half ago...i have not done much to it yet...but it is decent quality.

overpriced though i personally think...if memory serves they cost about $350 for the good kits...and at that price you can get a fully assembled cheapo set neck guitar at any guitar shop and replace all of the hardware.

something you should know is that the "top" is a veneer...and the part that makes up the "carved" section of the top is multiple pieces...and i mean MULTIPLE...you can't tell how many exactly...but it is visible in the lower horn area from the side.

so to hide that you must put a solid finish on the back and sides...

bottom line is i do not really think it is a deal.i thimk you can get a saga kit for much less from brian...

don't be fooled by the hype from grizzly...the workmanship is no better than any other kit...

My $.02 on the maple neck LP's: My LP Recording in the pic is solid mahogany (I left it natural) and has a 3 piece maple neck that apparantly is quite coveted by a lot of LP players per several musicians and guitar shops. It feels great and I would never venture to put a mahogany neck on it. I guess it's there to brighten up the tone from the lo-impedance pu's.