Dimebucker?

kh15

i dont know about this bill guy, i have been been playing for about 7 years and this is the first im hearing about him so im sure he makes good stuff but i think i will stick to semour cause they have a massive array of pickups and i huge artist base to back them up

...i dont know about this bill guy, i have been been playing for about 7 years and this is the first im hearing about him...

You need to get out more! :D Just because somebody who's been building great pickups since before you were born doesn't run full page ads in Guitar Player doesn't mean he's not any good - the only reason the Dimebucker exists is because Bill didn't want to mass-produce a pickup for Dime's signature guitars. But by all means, send Seymour a check - it'll help him pay those people in his"artist base" to comntinue using his pickups. :D

BTW, what's wrong with Paul's pickups in the first place? Or do you have an SE?

Bill Lawrence pickups ARE what Seymour duncan copied to make the dimebucker, there "artist base" is simply them paying artists to use their name. Bill Awrence pickusp are made at their workshop wich is family run adn the quality is closely monitored......Sd pickups are made in a big factiry and there quality is allowed variances by a machine, but if you want a oveerpriced, mass-produced rip-off by all measn go ahead

all the artist who are on the semour site use semour pickups, but okay okay im convinced on this bill guy so how much is the L500xl? because i do agree with nalo since thier all handmade im sure their super carefull about quality so if the dimebucker is based on the l500xl its cheaper and sounds better i would be a fool not to try it

http://p082.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfr...picID=301.topic

look at that though if i get the xl will i have to change my pots? because i REALLY im into doing that so what version of the l500 can i use without changing my pots?

"To deliver great tonal flexibility, the lead/bridge versions (L & XL) especially are recommended to be used in conjunction with the Q-Filter." its either those two but i think it requres you change your pots and use a q-filter? :D

Edited by kh15

yea i have a santana SE why?
Because if you had an actual PRS, as opposed to an SE, there wouldn't be any need for you to replace your pickups!

...all the artist who are on the semour site use semour pickups...
And all of them receive some sort of compensation for doing so, even if it's just free pickups. The whole point is to impress people like you so you'll buy them Dunkmore Seamens! Nothing against them, they make some good pickups, but you're buying them because of artist endorsements is like buying a Lincoln over a Caddy because Lincoln had a cooler spokesmodel.

Because if you had an actual PRS, as opposed to an SE, there wouldn't be any need for you to replace your pickups! define a "real" prs? just because its not made in the usa doesent mean that pickups suck, i love my pickups now but im just looking for a more aggresive bridge pickup because i play alot of metal and stuff of the nature but thiers nothing wrong with a santana se

and yea if i was in a band or something and SD sent me pickups and asked if i would play them so they could use my name i would try them but i like to think players like dime, clapton, scott ian,joe perry to name a few take thier playing a little bit more seriouly to use someone because its free or because a company want to put him on a list

Edited by kh15

:D Your Santana SE is no more a real PRS than an Epiphone LP is a real Les Paul - and the Dimebucker's origin has already been explained to you, twice! As charming as your naivete is, you're an adman's dream; young, not very aware and fiercely loyal to your own illusions. Please feel free to ignore any advice you get in the future if it doesn't agree with your personal world view. :D

"Because if you had an actual PRS, as opposed to an SE, there wouldn't be any need for you to replace your pickups!" thats just silly, even if i had a "real" prs i would still look for new pickups to suit my playing style, why use stock pickups even if their the best when you could maybe switch out your bridge pickup for instance for a more aggresive sounding one to better suit yoru playing style, and being the newbie god forbid i get some help with out getting every bodys oppions force feed down my throat! after all i just wanted to know if anybody had a audio sample but i guess that was to easy

That's the great thing about this forum. Everyone here has an opinion about how to get the perfect sound. No one is right, and no one is wrong.

Just do what you need to do to get your perfect sound, and do it with whatever it takes to get there.

As far as a sound clip of that particular pickup, I guess just find a song by someone in that vast stable of artists who gets the sound you like and find out how they do it.

I think you'll find that it's not just the pickups, but the wood and the amp and the effects and the EQ and, most importantly, their fingers.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

:D

I suppose the advantage of the dimebucker is, that if you dont like it, duncan will change it for another pickup from their range. Having had a go on a dimebag sig guitar a while ago, i would say however its not exactly the most versitile pickup on the planet. But if its the sound you want, then go for it :D

On the topic of woods, the santana and tremonti SE's are both solid mahogany, so if you were to go to a shop and have a go on a guitar loaded with a dimebucker (or any new pickup), bare that in mind, and go for a similar mahogany set neck guitar to get an idea of what it would sound like (ie dont have a go on one in a strat!).

Edited by Sambo

I have not heard the BL (original version) pickup myself but have heard so many great things about it, I don't doubt that it's worth looking into. I do have one SD Dimebucker installed in a guitar and love it. To me, it sounds fairly bright and doesn't get muddy on the low end palm mutes.

I plan to get one of the originals some day soon (from BL). Until then, the mass produced factory made pickups seem to be more than adequate for my playing :D.

BTW - It may be hard to let yourself open up to something you have never heard of before and have not seen advertised with the big boys but there really are some great products out there with little name recognition.

I notice the XL-500 sounds like the Cowboys from Hell cd.It will if you have an amp with any worthy gain to it.That IS what it sounds like.

I was under the impression that Dime even still used the XL-500 while he was under contract with the other company.

If you like SD so much,maybe try that Scott Ian Diablo.It's a passive bladebucker.

I have no clue about it though other than you could buy 3 Bill Lawrences for 1 of those.

Edited by ibreakemineedtobuildem

Definitely buy the Bill Lawrence-made pickup, the L500XL. Dime probably never actually used the SD Dimebucker on his actual guitars, anyway. It was just a shameless attempt at marketing a cheaper-made pickup at a higher price. You'll pay about 50% more for the machine-made Dimebucker than the hand-made L500XL.

The only bummer is that you may have to wait a few weeks to get the L500XL. You could probably walk into any SD dealer and pick up a Dimebucker tomorrow.

Also, your Santana SE isn't a bad guitar at all. True, the stock pickups are nothing like what you'll get in an American PRS, but it's not a bad axe to start out with. Even if it's Made in Korea, I'm sure you could still do some good damage with it.

Don't be so quick to put down SD's version of it. Like I said - I have one installed and think it's pretty damn good. I also don't understand the notion of machine-made pickups being something to avoid - Seymour Duncan makes some killer pickups.

It is possible for both pickups to be worth checking out - especially since SD will let you turn it back in within 30 days (I think for credit towards another pickup - but maybe a full refund?).

I'll say it again though - I have no doubt that the BL version is a great pickup and I do intend to check it out some day.

i have about 4-5 SD pickups and yes they do make some nice pickups, and Dime used a SD in the neck postioin (JB i believe), but look at it this way when has a copy ever been as good as the original.......Now i love Eggo "Homestyle waffles" but they still dont beat out the actual homemade ones. SD copied the L500 to make the dimebucker so they are in esscence the same pickup.....so why pay twice as much for a copy when you can have the original. I'm noy knocking on SD but they are by no means the holygrail of pickups.......buy the pickup and try it out if you dont want itm ill buy it from you....you could very easily post that pickup in the classifieds section and have it off your hands in a day

yea i think im gonna go with the l500xl pickup for bill for my se after reading over some stuff on his site i knew thats what a wanted, everybody who has it is just blown away but the only thing im concered about is a read the xl and l version of that pick up should be used with the q filter. i dont really want to install that one my guitar if i dont have to since i plan to get the xl pickup? if i dont use it will i get alot of feedback? because thats why im being really cautious now because my current pick ups sound great and give me zero feedback

okay cool, just one more question and im done! when i get this pickup and use it lets say through a tottally clean amp and i select only that pickup with my tone rolled all the way back will it sound kind of twangy ( best word i can think of ) or will it have a kind of overdriven sound do it?

the l-500's have pretty good cleans, especially for high output buckers

i noticed that no-one else pointed this out so ill say it:you know that dime's famous 'dean from hell' guitar had a lawrence xl-500 in it right? no seymour duncans in his guitars.