Finally Finshed!

Well I finally strung up and played my first guitar! here is some pics

these pics are ugly scroll down for some better ones

07170645.jpg

(that one looks like it does in real life, also this one shows the new black saddle, the nut is black also. I will take more pics as soon as the sun goes behind a cloud. I'm in texas and it's like 80 here and SUNNY. Bad for taking pics)

before bolting everything together

front showing grain

front

back full

back detail

headstock

specs:

scale legenth: 24"

pickups: seymour duncan vintage P-90

Switching: volume, tone, 3 way pickup selector, series, phase reverse

Body wood: hollow 1 peice hondunan mahogany

top wood: curly bookmatched bubinga

neck: cocobolo

fingerboard: cocobolo

Man this thing sounds AMAZING, It plays perfectly in tune up and down the neck and the action is VERY low. The only thing I dont like about it (besides the horriable string through holes B) ) is I made the neck to fat for my tiny little hands. From front to back it's the same as my godin but thers just to much wood in there. not enough curve to it. After I am already done :D I studied my godin more and found that it's more of a V shape. So the next one will have a much smaller slimmer V type neck.

so what do yall think?

:D

just got done with my first and the wood for the next one is already in the mail B):D

Edited by Godin SD

Nice work Godin! Very original to match up cocobolo, hollow mahogany and bubinga. It has a nice clean look to it, which I like. How's the balance with that coco neck?

I have only two suggestions:

1) Use a template to drill the string-thru holes next time.

2) You might think about using ebony for the nut and bridge, I think it would match up with the tuners better.

The balance is PERFECT. It's better than on any guitar I've ever held. Auccually It would be off because the coco is soooo heavy. But my body is much bigger than a normal electric, and the neck is smaller seeing how it's only 24" scale. The body is 14 1/2" wide, 21" long, and 2" thick.

Ya I know about the string through. That really eats me up that the back looks like **** now. And ya I am going to make the bridge out of ebony and I am going to make the nut out of the black graphtech stuff.

I just had the white stuff laying around and I REALLY wanted to play it :D

Edited by Godin SD

Nice. :D

If the sting thru is really nagging you (and I know it would bug me!) route out a rectangular cavity, inlay a block of ebony, and redrill the inserts into that. It would match the colour scheme, and you could drill the holes in the ebony before inlaying it, which would ensure that you get it right. Sure, *anyone* who builds will know exactly why you did it, but it'll still look sharp :D

Nice.  :D

If the sting thru is really nagging you (and I know it would bug me!) route out a rectangular cavity, inlay a block of  ebony, and redrill the inserts into that.  It would match the colour scheme, and you could drill the holes in the ebony before inlaying it, which would ensure that you get it right.  Sure, *anyone* who builds will know exactly why you did it, but it'll still look sharp :D

EXATLY! I had planned on doing that. But right now I really want to play it... In the next couple of weeks I'll fix all the bugs and I'm sure it will be looking it's best! Only onw thing. how on earth do I get out the ferruls? (the things in the back?

I've already made the nut black and I am working on the ebony bridge right now! After I am done with it I will paint it in black conductive paint so I can ground the strings. Anyone know if your average home depot has conductive paint? or will I have to buy the stuff from stewmac?

(pics will be updated soon. I changed the nut and bridge to black and those pics are ugly)

Edited by Godin SD

HOLY CRAP man I didn't even know that you where building a guitar :D

Really man very well done :D and the tuning pegs just look so deadly I wish they where sold in 7-string sets!!

good work!

!!METAL MATT!! B)

man I didn't even know that you where building a guitar

lol, ya. I've been kinda lying low :D I've been short on funds so I was just building in steps as I got enough money to buy parts. It took me about 6 months to build that sucker.

(I added a pic showing the grain better and showing the black saddle)

O and matt, you might want to give stew mac a call. When mine arrived they were individually packed and it said hand written "6 string set" it was hand written so I guess taht means they can change it :D Who knows. Just ask and mabye they can get you a 7 string set for just a little bit more than a 6.

Edited by Godin SD

the tuners are great! They are a little bit frustrating seeing how I have had to take off the strings like 30 times to readjust the saddle or nut :D They have a VERY high ratio. Which means that you will turn the knob a LOT before you get in tune. But taht also makes it very easy to get perfectly in tune. When I was doing some A/Bing with my godin I found it harder to get my godin perfectly in tune. This thing sounds better than my godin! It's not as perfect or as nicely built but it does sound great. With both pickups on in series and out of phase it is just heavenly! I think I may just glue the switches there :D

Man after reading all the comments wow just wow I cant believe you guys auccually like it! I am so glad you guys like it. I am a perfectionest and I just cant deal with a not perfect PRS quality guitar. Hopefully my next one will be much better.

new pics!

07170645.jpg

back

full

headstock

now THOSE pics show this guitar for what it really is. Even though it's kinda screwed up (whos first isint?) It really looks and sounds amazing! O and if your wondering why the jack plate is so big :D It's because thats how I got the electronics in B) I will also be adding a undersaddle peizo pickup soon (as soon as funds allow :D ) thats why I used an acoustic type saddle.

Edited by Godin SD

I'll be honest-- for some reason, you never came across as a very serious builder/member.

After seeing this guitar, I want to apologize profusely for that assumption:

SorrySorrySorrySorrySorrySorry

!

There we go! With that out of the way, that guitar is truly breathtaking. The color scheme all works out very well, and everything (with the possible exception of the back ferrules) looks very professionally executed. The shape is pleasing, the finish is beautiful, everything about it is just spectacular! :D

Thus far, you have my vote for GOTM by a LONG shot! :D

lol skibum lol I never came across as a good builder cuse I'm not B) I probally came across like that because of all the noob questions. I think the reason it turned out so well is that I read for like a year before touching any wood.

The back ferruls will be fixed. And other than that I am very pleased with this for my first build. But thanks for your umm niceness B) lol

Thank you for being so kind guys. I know my guitar is far from perfect but it's nice to know that ya'll think it's cool. :D

It kinda stinks because in all these pics you cant see the A symetric shape. The lower bout is really not as symetric as it seems. I need to take some head on shots to really show the body shape...

thanks for your vote for GOTM. At least I have 1 :D After I saw that maiden put in hid 7 string carved top I knew I wouldent be winning this mounth

man this is good I keep reading your post and like everytime I just start craking up like crazy. All over the floor :D

!

hahahahhahaa

Edited by Godin SD

Beautiful work Godin. Thats a great combination of colors. It looks very rich but understated at the same time. If it sounds as good as it looks bravo! I just thought I would through this out also since you are talking about ferrules. Have you seen the Godin (go figure) semi-hollow body with TOM and slots routed for the strings as the travel back to the recessed ferrules. It looks pretty cool and allows for more angle on the strings after the bridge.

Killer guitar! Can't wait to see your next projects.

Peace, Rich

Nice to see a different design around here. I get a little tired looking at all those Impalers and Icepick Warriors and Wraith Avengers ... (sorry guys, but you know what I mean).

Questions, questions: I really like that bridge, nice n' pure ---how is that set in? What about intonation?

And you mention the body is hollow? Do you have any pics of that in progress?

Also, what do the mini-switches do? Those are P90s, right?

Too bad about the ferrules, but then, they're on the back, who's gonna know? I'd rig up some kind of removable cover for them, in black of course, that way you don't have to risk cutting into the guitar again.

Excellent work!

ok,

skibum, I will have more pics up later today. and ya I am very pleased with the cocobolo I got for the neck and fingerboard. It really looks beautiful! It really matches well with the bubinga and the mahogany. After I put the red mahogany stain from stewmac on the mahogany I held the neck up to it and knew I had something special B)

fryovanni, ya I have seen the godins (I have one :D ) But It looked a little bit to hard to do for my first so I left it out. And it sounds WAY better than it looks!

and idch, the bridge is just like an acoustic bridge. You rout a slot into the wood underneath it where you need it. I found a scale legenth thingy on the web showing my EXATLY where to put it. And the intonation is PERFECT. It's just hard to adjust as you have to shave down the saddle. I took the strings off like 30 times and went through like 7 saddles before I got the height and intonatino perfect. But the bridge is REALLY comfterable for palm mutes.

yes the body is hollow and here is a progress pic :D The hole in the center block is so I can pass the electronics from the pickup cavity to the body cavity.

yes those are P-90s They are seymour duncan vintage P-90 and I am VERY happy with them. Which brings us to the mini switchs. 1 of them when you flip it it turns both of the pickups on in series (like a humbucker, you will get MUCH more distortian and sustain) and the other one changes the phase of teh bridge pickup. In has no effect when just the bridge is on but when they both are on it makes a HUGH impact. In one posistion it makes it sound VERY bright and it's an awesome lead tone. In the other posistion it is very mellow and is awesome for rythem. So without these switchs I wouldent be very happy with the way it sounds but man with both pickups on in series and out of phase, WOW it's the best guitar I've ever heard.

And ya I decided I'm not gonna rout out the back because it's already finished but I think I will make a cover of some kind...

again thanks to all for your interest.

More pics will be uploaded later today!

Edited by Godin SD

I found a scale legenth thingy on the web showing my EXATLY where to put it.  And the intonation is PERFECT. 

yes those are P-90s They are seymour duncan vintage P-90 and I am VERY happy with them.  Which brings us to the mini switchs.  1 of them when you flip it it turns both of the pickups on in series (like a humbucker,  you will get MUCH more distortian and sustain) and the other one changes the phase of teh bridge pickup.  In has no effect when just the bridge is on but when they both are on it makes a HUGH impact.  In one posistion it makes it sound VERY bright and it's an awesome lead tone.  In the other posistion it is very mellow and is awesome for rythem.  So without these switchs I wouldent be very happy with the way it sounds but man with both on in series and out of phase,  WOW it's the best guitar I've ever heard.

Do you have a link for that scale length thingy?

And while I'm at it, how about a wiring diagram? I'm really into single coils--I suppose the same wiring would work for some of the pups I have lying around here...

Got another question: did you bother to clean up the floor of your route, or leave it as is? I'm asking because I just routed the bottom panel of my convertible, and I've got that same squirrelly effect there...since it's not going to show, I wonder if I should bother getting it neater. (I also have one near-hole when the router slipped...ooops! Luckily it didn't punch all the way through)

heres the link for the scale placement thing. scale legenth . (note in that diagram the neck is down at the bottom of the page)

I did clean up the rout but I dont have any pictures of it cleaned up. It really doesent matter as you will never see it. I was just board waiting for money to buy more parts so I dug in with a power sander.

and here is what I used for the wireing. wireing schematic. This doesent show that you need to solder a wire to the casing of each switch and pot. And tie it all together on 1 pot and ground that. Also you will need to paint your bridge in conductive paint and ground that.

hope that helps! :D

and anymore questions you have feel free to PM me or whatever

Edited by Godin SD

I get a little tired looking at all those Impalers and Icepick Warriors and Wraith Avengers ...

:D Ya I know what you mean And I just gota say That It's refreshing to see guitars like your's and Godin's out there

Iam still kinda in shock with Godin's guitar It is really cool and he even built his own NECK that's something I havent even accomplished yet :D

Iam DAM IMPRESSED Godin

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Really beautiful Godin, especially for your first guitar, you get the extra bonus points!

Rock On Dude!

:DB):D:DB)

PS, if I remember correctly, that body design 'sort of' looks like DugzInc's body. I wonder if he's seen yours yet, hehehe.

PS, if I remember correctly, that body design 'sort of' looks like DugzInc's body. I wonder if he's seen yours yet, hehehe.

I dont know. Never seen his. My brother who is a photoshop/graphic genius made it for me. He designed the headstock and body. So I cant take any credit for desinging that sweet body shape :D But I auccually MADE it right? :D It really is comfterable to play. I was nicely surprized to see that it balanced PERFECTLY standing up AND sitting down (something my godin cant do as it's got a real small horn)

wow drak for you to say I did a good job... just wow.

ok guys I have some new pics showing the grain on the neck and fingerboard better!

hope you like um!

Man I really loved working with that cocobolo! Definitly in the future I will be making another neck out of it. It is hard as a rock but surprizingly enough it's prety easy to work. And it's good to know it wont be warping...

(EDIT) ok drak I just searched for Dugz Inc's body and template.jpg IMO is NOTHING like my body.

Edited by Godin SD