Other Instruments In Gotm

i think as long as its string and pluckable (not violins since they're not pluckable), it can be considered. I think Lutes were part of the guitar family, and Oods or h.e you spell them. i dont see why there would be a problem but of course talk to Brian or one of the mods :D I think it would be kind of cool but then of course you get into a thing of a banjo vs. a sitar, and people may vote because they like banjos more then sitars, or something. Why not just posting your pics of other instruments, you dont really need them in a contest.

-Jamie

(not violins since they're not pluckable)

Violins get plucked all the time. It's an interesting sound, and one that gets used more often than you might think.

For that matter, I've heard people use a violin bow on their guitars. It's not as black and white as you might think.

Edited by jnewman

I think it depends on the mandolin. I mean a well done f-style mandolin would probably get votes because the people here could recognize the work and craftmanship involved in making it.

Violins get plucked all the time. It's an interesting sound, and one that gets used more often than you might think.

Never heard a plucked violin in an actual music piece but i have heard a plucked violin and it sounds dreadful, because they're meant to be bowed, not plucked, or picked. William Laskin talked about this in one of his discussions about sound characteristics in November when I saw him. I forget exactly why but he discussed it in great detail.

For that matter, I've heard people use a violin bow on their guitars. It's not as black and white as you might think.

You mean you've heard Jimmy Page, right? If it's him you are reffering to, he can only do it on the low E string because the strings aren't arched like on a violin which he discussed in one of the previous guitar magazines in the last 6 months.

A guitar can be bowed, however only one string, and a violin sounds like garbage when plucked, so i think it is pretty black and white. I am not saying you can't do it though. Jonathan Wilson makes violin guitars.

-Jamie :D

i understand, so it's more of an effect. i looked at my first post and what i meant was, if PG allowed other contests, it wouldn't be imo good to have a violin compete with a mandolin or something. Aren't they part of two different families? It would be cool to have these other contests however, I haven't seen one acoustic guitar made on this site yet (if so send me the link) so i don't know if the mods or brian would want to jump right into it but it would be cool. Like i said earlier, just post the pic and info in the in progress and finished thread and if they don't allow it then dont do it again. You dont need it in a contest when theres not a whole range of people doing non-guitars here (banjos, mandos, sitars, etc)..

btw if nothings making sense, dont mind me, im super tired lol

-Jamie

i saw dave matthews band play on rove (aussies letterman)

and they had a guy holding an electric violin like a gat and plcuking it

it sounded quite good very interesting sound

the song was called american baby if u wanna download it but i cant tell u weather its on the studio version but id say it is

on the plucking violin, if you see the Master & Commander movie, at the end when they play, there is a nice example of pizzicato.

Also if you are not familiar I will suggest getting some MP3s os stringed Chamber Music and you will find tons or the same.

I use to go to the Music Conservatory because my dad use to deal with their unions and I will just roam aroung watching this guys play for hours on end.

And on topic, I think that if it is a stringed instrument, it could be fine, but I don't think it belongs in the GOTM. The PG is for guitars and their cousins, I know that a guitar ior amndolin are very close relatives of a guitar, but I don't think it will get my GOTM vote. If we open a stringed instrument division, that would be better.

Under The Sea, from the Little Mermaid.. If I'm not mistaken, it has several long pizzacato (sp) sections. I used to play it with a school orchestra (with me on guitar), and I was the only one who could pull of the melody (partly because our teacher had us play it faster than it's meant to be played). Anyway, it sounded terrible, so I just ended up soloing during the concert, because no one could hear me.

Anyway, about the topic, I think that all stringed instruments could enter, but the contest should be split up when the vote comes, like the issue with "scratch built" guitars. Sounds like a great idea.