Where Are You Playing?

marksound

Bye, Bye Birdie (musical) at the local high school April 7, 8 9th. It's a non-paying, volunteer gig for the local theater group and it's a PITA because the songs change key every few bars......AHHHH!! I think I've played every note on my fretboard in the last 2 weeks, and most of them when I wasn't supposed to!!

Here's a typical conversation at practice:

Me: What are the flats in EbMajor again?

Guitar player: Flats? Huh? What key are we in again??

Me: Nevermind, we're in Bb now.....no, wait, it changed again now we're in C, awww s&%$!!!!!

Guitar player: :D

Me: :D Time for a smoke break yet? B)

Who writes this music anyway??!!

Marksound, I knew you had to be a Sooner (an Oklahoman, not necessarily an OU fan). I grew up on the south side, just west of Moore. Sounds like you've got a good regular gig set up over at Charley's, but your Art's Festival gig sounds like it'll give you some good exposure too. Good luck with that!

I wish this post had been started two months ago. January from HELL! One weekend at the Correctional Institution (as a player) and the next weekend, a union gig at the Greater Des Moines P D Policeman's Ball. What FUN! No arrests but my truck got broke into in the Des Moines Civic Center parking lot! Stole a Crate and four bad snakes. Basically, no big loss!

I wish this post had been started two months ago. January from HELL! One weekend at the Correctional Institution (as a player) and the next weekend, a union gig at the Greater Des Moines P D Policeman's Ball. What FUN! No arrests but my truck got broke into in the Des Moines Civic Center parking lot! Stole a Crate and four bad snakes. Basically, no big loss!

Didn't play in January. We generally take the holidays off, so it takes a while to get back up to speed.

Man, that sucks about your truck getting broken into. But that's why I like playing biker bars around here. Nobody messes with other people's stuff.

:D Last time at Charley's one of our buds was up dancing with a bunch of the biker chicks and got thumped on the back of the head by this huge hairy (apparently very possessive) biker. Like I said, nobody messes with other people's stuff! :D

Currently our band isnt gigging. We was lined up to gig right through January but the band split.

We have now reformed with a slightly different line up and a different *style* to the band.

ill post our site so that people can find out later on if our bands playing

www.crush.slainempire.com

(sorry about the bad domain name but the band used to be called Slain so ive just created a subdomain for the new band)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, opening night came and went and I actually played well! Friday is the "big" night that is sold out so we''ll hope for another good playing night.

Man, it's nothing like rock 'n roll where you play in one key.....something about 5 key changes in one song just kicks my butt!!!! Just when you get a pattern down the key changes and you have to adjust the old fingers..... :D

Let's see... the Rock Band School where I take lessons has its monthly gig at Starbucks on April 30th, and I play in both the Cover band and the Math Metal band.

My other band is playing at an All night party to celebrate the opening of the new YMCA in town; we have a 1 1/2 hour set!

My final band needs to find a new drummer and then snag some more gigs (we're a ska band but our drummer refuses to play anything but hip-hop beats....)

• 2 weeks later...

We played the Oklahoma City Festival of the Arts today.

I don't know if it was stage fright or what, but I was almost dreading this deal. We got a 40 minute slot with 20 minutes to get on and 20 to get off (thank goodness they provide the PA), but last year was a nightmare. The sound guys knocked Susan's keyboard module in the pond so she played without her good sounds, they went way over in sound check, blah blah blah. They ended up cutting us off about 2/3 through our set. We were smoked.

Today, we unloaded and got ready for our 20 minute setup and sound check while this acoustic act went way over time. Then they proceeded to take 10 minutes to break down (acoustics) and talk to everyone around, including us while we were trying to set up around them.

The acoustic guy who wasn't leaving says, "Hey, who's the guitar player?" So I turned and said, "Uh, me and that guy." He held out a brand new Keeley Compressor and said, "Ever seen one of these?"

I said, "Uh, yeah."

He went on for who knows how long about how they're hand wired and built by a guy right here in Oklahoma and this and that and yadayadayada.

I said, "Yeah, he lives a couple miles fom me."

So he shut up and went away. Finally.

Then after dodging sound guys, finding places to plug in the amps, pedalboards, keyboards, et al. we finally got started. Ten minutes late. While the sound guy was finding more mikes for the drums.

Anyway, long story short, the set went almost without a hitch and we drew a big crowd and we even got to finish our set this time.

The down side: a) I hate playing just one short set. By the time we're done I'm just getting warmed up. 2) I really felt sorry for that acoustic act that followed us, because when we finished, everyone left.

But hey, I got a free T-shirt.

This is a first! My son and I are playing a Passover gig in St. Louis together! All day! Union! BIG BUCKS!! I be bassist for the organ-assisted portions and guitar accomp. for an ABSOLUTE BABE from Carbondale! I would play with her for free any day! Or shabbot. Or whatever. Happy Passover you freaks!!!