Carvin 6 String Guitar Through-body Neck

This will be my first build so if I'm asking a stupid question just try to overlook my ignorance.

The order form from Carvin says the neck is 2.25" wide at 24th fret, is that how wide the fret board is or the neck it self, or are they the same? I need to know the width of the remaining neck past the 24th fret. I'm trying to make my template and I need to know how wide the neck is, can someone help me out? Thanks..

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?...r=NT6&CID=GTR/K

Edited by Druss

They're the same thing. Even on a guitar with a binding, they'll still measure the entire width at whatever reference fret they're using.

If the rest of the body wood is at a 90 degree angle from the fret (ie. the taper isn't just continued) then it'll be that width. Can you tell from the picture if the taper simply continues?

Greg

It must keep getting wider because when I draw it out 2 1/4" just seems awful narrow, it doesn't look right at all.

Makes sense now that I'm thinking about it. The original laminated blank would be rectangular, and then they'd shape the taper from there.

Greg

If the rest of the body wood is at a 90 degree angle from the fret (ie. the taper isn't just continued)

the taper does continue on the Carvin 7-string through neck that i used to build a 7-string V.

i waited to finalize my body wing sketches until i had the neck in hand. without it, you could still draw out the whole body. then when you have the neck you could lay it on top, trace the taper, and then you'd know what size to make your wings.

I just got a Carvin neck through in the mail a few days ago. The taper does continue, so it gets wider as you go from the end of the fingerboard to the tail of the guitar.

I was getting anxious and wanted to draw my plans before I had the neck, but I managed to patient and wait until the neck was in my hands. Now I'm glad I waited. I would have made too many assumptions on my drawing, and I would have had to redo it after the neck came anyway.

Good luck!!

you can draw the plans anyway, since the overall guitar shape and aize won't fluctuate at all, the only thing you need to do is to set the neck on top of the drawing and scribe it to the guitar drawing. or if you want to show the neck wood, just have it bandsaw from the tip of the fretboard down to the right thickness.

no...the taper continues the entire length of the neck.apparently none of you have ever used one.

i have

Well that was the initial reason I asked in the first place if he knew.

Greg

i waited to finalize my body wing sketches until i had the neck in hand. without it, you could still draw out the whole body. then when you have the neck you could lay it on top, trace the taper, and then you'd know what size to make your wings.

that is exacly how i did my first vee as well....(six string by the way)