What Guitar For Punk Styles Around $1500?

ok I talked to him last night and he says forget the whole punk thing. He says he wants a guitar than can play alot of styles. I sugested a tom anderson droptop. What do you think of tom anderson guitars? I havent played one personally but all my favrite bands play them and all I've heard is good things about them. I heard one live a couple of times and it sounds freakin awesome played through a matchless or badcat amp.

ok I talked to him last night and he says forget the whole punk thing.  He says he wants a guitar than can play alot of styles.  I sugested a tom anderson droptop.  What do you think of tom anderson guitars?  I havent played one personally but all my favrite bands play them and all I've heard is good things about them.  I heard one live a couple of times and it sounds freakin awesome played through a matchless or badcat amp.

i would tell him to save his money, he clearly doesnt no what he wants! and 1500 is alot of money is your note 100% sure..

ok I talked to him last night and he says forget the whole punk thing.  He says he wants a guitar than can play alot of styles.  I sugested a tom anderson droptop.  What do you think of tom anderson guitars?  I havent played one personally but all my favrite bands play them and all I've heard is good things about them.  I heard one live a couple of times and it sounds freakin awesome played through a matchless or badcat amp.

No offense, but you guys must have oil wells in your back yard or something. :D You're talking about some change there.

A guitar (or amp) doesn't have to be expensive to sound good. Technique is always the biggest part of it. (Maybe I'm in the wrong forum to say that :D ).

Guest Brockyman

The Matt Skiba signature guitar was considered to be about the finest guitar for a "Punk" style. They weren't made for long though before the company making them went out of business. They were probably too cheap (about £500 in the UK) for the quality. They were made about 2 years ago and would be quite a find if you ever come across one.

Having been a Punk in the 70's I can say that a strat is definately too wimpy, unless it has humbuckers. The Tom DeLonge strat is good and very cheap for a signature guitar, again about £500 in the UK (cost kept down by being made in Mexico).

If anyone wants too see how good the Pistols were I recommend the BBC DVD "Classic albums - Never mind the Bollocks". The engineer rates Steve Jones as still being "the tightest guitarist he has ever worked with".

Someone mentioned the Rezillo's - I saw them in about 1979 (in Blackburn, Lancs, UK) and still regard that as the best gig I have ever been to, the energy was incredible. The UK punk movement was only political in a small sense. Okay there was the Clash (who I once had the good fortune to support) and a few others but basically we were all having a good laugh. Changed the world forever though didn't it?

Ian.

Guest Brockyman

The Matt Skiba signature guitar was considered to be about the finest guitar for a "Punk" style. They weren't made for long though before the company making them went out of business. They were probably too cheap (about £500 in the UK) for the quality. They were made about 2 years ago and would be quite a find if you ever come across one.

Having been a Punk in the 70's I can say that a strat is definately too wimpy, unless it has humbuckers. The Tom DeLonge strat is good and very cheap for a signature guitar, again about £500 in the UK (cost kept down by being made in Mexico).

If anyone wants too see how good the Pistols were I recommend the BBC DVD "Classic albums - Never mind the Bollocks". The engineer rates Steve Jones as still being "the tightest guitarist he has ever worked with".

Someone mentioned the Rezillo's - I saw them in about 1979 (in Blackburn, Lancs, UK) and still regard that as the best gig I have ever been to, the energy was incredible. The UK punk movement was only political in a small sense. Okay there was the Clash (who I once had the good fortune to support) and a few others but basically we were all having a good laugh. Changed the world forever though didn't it?

Ian.

1500 is plenty to get a great guitar.. punk or otherwise. If he doesn't know what he wants.. build him one! go pro. lol.

Otherwise, if he's experimenting.. look for a deal. There are so many imports these days that are goo.. You can get a higher end Agile or Dillion and replace the pups and have a pretty killer guitar.

But seriously.. if he's played yours and likes them at all.. let him commission you to build him one.. if he's deadset on buying one.. he might check out a parker.. or a PRS CE model (the bolton ones, they are quite nice really)

surely he could do better than tom anderson. They are fine guitars but they are all strat and tele based guitars..

The PRS CE models are bolton and a lot of times solid finish. they are more like 1100 or so. I'd take a parker over a tom anderson any day.. if versatility is of interest those are awesome. You can lock the trems down to play hardtail, they play like a dream. Fretboards are dead level too.

Seriously, though... build him a Guit!! Goodness knows your guitar appear up to pro standards from here, and then all you need is HSH pickups of your fave variety, and a veritable aircraft control panel of controls. He wants versatile, he can have it!

Also, then he can have a guitar that matches his exact wants and needs in both looks and functionality, and no matter what he wants in it, you'll surely make a profit at $1500!

parker ewww Both of us hate those things. I love the feel but they sound so lifeless. He has a lower end PRS but he hates the higher end PRS models.

Have you seen the new tom anderson atom? It's a all new design made for the David Crowder Band. It has the same body shape as the crowdster (also made for the David Crowder Band) And the atom rocks!

But who knows he might just buy one of the guitars I'm building now. That all depends on if I get them finished on time :D

parker ewww        Both of us hate those things.  I love the feel but they sound so lifeless.  He has a lower end PRS but he hates the higher end PRS models. 

Have you seen the new tom anderson atom?  It's a all new design made for the David Crowder Band.  It has the same body shape as the crowdster (also made for the David Crowder Band)  And the atom rocks! 

But who knows he might just buy one of the guitars I'm building now.  That all depends on if I get them finished on time :D

Uhh I am certainly punk...

and uhhhh,

Steve Jones played a les paul custom.....

Most other punks play either strats with a humbucker ot teles....

it's relly not a proper way to "be punk" buying a 1500 dollar guitar...

buy a 400 dollar guitar . 500 dollars of spraypaint and 600 dollars of beer.

that's punk.

parker ewww        Both of us hate those things.  I love the feel but they sound so lifeless.  He has a lower end PRS but he hates the higher end PRS models. 

Have you seen the new tom anderson atom?  It's a all new design made for the David Crowder Band.  It has the same body shape as the crowdster (also made for the David Crowder Band)  And the atom rocks! 

But who knows he might just buy one of the guitars I'm building now.  That all depends on if I get them finished on time :D

No i havent seen those.. I love david crowder though.. i'll have to check them out. Maybe they are branching out from their boutique clone roots.

-------

Finally found the atom.. it didn't do too much for me, but the crowdster was cool..

If he already has a lower end PRS, what the heck does he need another guitar for? :D Not saying we all only need one guitar or anything like that (I'd like to own dozens), but it sounds to me like he's got $1,500 burning a hole in his pocket.

Parkers are awesome. I personally think they've just as much soul (or more) than any other guitar, but there IS a certain different vibe to them, for sure. I love Steinberger guitars, and I think they have 'soul', but it's definitely a different kind of soul. <grin>

Greg

• 4 months later...