Latest Work

Myka also uses a 7/8" radius bit I believe. The bits themselves are pretty easy to find. Just search roundover bits. You will need a router that can accept a 1/2" shank though. Even if you found a bit that size with a 1/4" shank I wouldnt buy it, a 1/2" is going to be much more stable. Read myka's section on his site about how the prosess goes, its pretty self explanatory.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi thanks for the response, any chance of posting some pics of how to correctly do this?? sure would appreciate it very much, also where would I get a cutter like this from part number??. I've seen Mykas jig and does he use a 1 1/4 roundover or have I got it wrong. Kammo1.

Firstly you need to build your own jig to hold the neck, take a look at both Mykas and mine. The important thing is being able to hold the neck securely with the top edge of the neck parralell to the base of the jig (horizontal) AND make it such a way that your hands go nowhere near the cutter.

Turn the bit at the slowest rpm your router will go and take four or so passes lowering the bit just a little at a time. The correct direction of cut would be to start the bit on the right and moving the neck to the right so it cuts along the neck to the left.

All woodworking shops and Home depot/Lowes usually carry a 7/8" roundover bit, as Jay5 says - get one with a 1/2" shaft (I'd be surprised if they made a bit this size with a 1/4").

If you're still not sure I suggest you hang on 'til you figure it out, done incorrectly it could be very dangerous.

Hey guys many thanks for your responses. Yep I'm gonna make myself a nice secure jig to hold the neck and also support the router in an overhead position so its all safe and my hands come nowhere near the cutter. One thing that puzzled me is that when rounding over the back of the neck won't the bearing go past the centre line on the neck towards the headstock end as the size difference from the heel end is greater and this will in turn make the bearing run aginst the curve? difficult to explain but you get the picture?? Maybe a tutorial with pics would help me to see the wood from the trees and also help other fellow luthiers to grasp the concept. Maybe yourself or Myka would like to help. Kammo1

One thing that puzzled me is that when rounding over the back of the neck won't the bearing go past the centre line on the neck towards the headstock end as the size difference from the heel end is greater and this will in turn make the bearing run aginst the curve?

Kammo, you and I must think alike cause' that always puzzled me about this method.

One thing that puzzled me is that when rounding over the back of the neck won't the bearing go past the centre line on the neck towards the headstock end as the size difference from the heel end is greater and this will in turn make the bearing run aginst the curve? difficult to explain but you get the picture??

No, you set the roundover bit so that the max depth is achieved at the nut end leaving a small centre flat at the heel. A little work with a spokeshave/rasp/sanding sees it finished.

As for a tutorial, I hardly have enough time to build these things let alone do a tutorial. however I am doing another neck later in the week so I'll try to take more pics that illustrate it better. TBH Mykas site explains it pretty well.

Looks great.  Although I'd be afraid to stain before the body is completely routed and drilled for bridge, controls, etc.

Routing's all done and the control and bridge holes are all centre punched. You're right tho', I wouldn't stain it if everything hadn't been worked out and checked.

(edited 'cause on re-reading it sounded a little off :D )

Looks great.  Although I'd be afraid to stain before the body is completely routed and drilled for bridge, controls, etc.

Routing's all done and the control and bridge holes are all centre punched. You're right tho', I wouldn't stain it if everything hadn't been worked out and checked.

(edited 'cause on re-reading it sounded a little off :D )

Oh, sorry, I couldn't tell that from the pic. I love the color. What kind of stain are you using?

Dave

Oh, sorry, I couldn't tell that from the pic.  I love the color. What kind of stain are you using?

Dave

Stewmacs liquid stain, colourtone? Anyway I did the usual black and sand back first and this is just a few coats ragged on. I'll spray it with sanding sealer and then a couple of toner coats followed by a little shading at the edges and then more clear.

Neil

Gonna use more of the blue for the toner coats?  Do you have any pics of the body when you had applied the black and then sanded it back?  I'm curious to see it compared to how the black looked on mine. 

Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

Sorry no I don't have any pics of it sanded back, I do remove most of the black so it's just in the edges of the soft grain.

What does your paint setup look like?

I have a pretty large compressor (14cfm) and use a devilbiss SRI hvlp grabity fed gun. HVLP takes a bit of getting used to but I find I can get it as good as a convential gun. I also have a badger 150 airbrush that I use for the detail shading etc.

Neil

• 6 months later...

Well blimey it's been a while but these are nearly done. The Tele should be finished next week and the Junior a couple of weeks after. Having a young daughter and building guitars for other people really does take up a lot of time :D

1def5cb6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/fd9ec271.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/e05cbaa8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...le/36fb8467.jpg

Neil

:D

Yeah Neil nothing stops you now!!! You're making a lot of interesting guitars lately!!!

I look forward to see complete another Les Paul!!! For now that's a great tele, I like the finishing job you do. You use polyurethane, right?

I heard a lot of different way to polish poly. What is it yours? It seems to work very fine.

Gian

Yeah Neil nothing stops you now!!! You're making a lot of interesting guitars lately!!!

I look forward to see complete another Les Paul!!! For now that's a great tele, I like the finishing job you do. You use polyurethane, right?

I heard a lot of different way to polish poly. What is it yours? It seems to work very fine.

Gian

Hi Gian,

Yes I use a premium two part Auto poly. I wet sand to 1500 grit taking care not to get water near any exposed wood. Then its over to this

92a31e87.jpg

Where I use a medium then fine compound working slowly and applying very little pressure.

Neil

• 2 months later...