Chrome JS finish?

ok, well i don't want you guys to just be like "ya that'll probably work" but i thought up an idea for the chrome finish on guitars, let me know what you think, i'm open to critique, if anyone else has an idea of how to do it, please tell me

ok, to a finished body (bare wood)

120 grit, 4 or 5 lite coats of sanding sealer, 200, primer, 320, primer, 400, chrome, 600, chrome, yada yada.... 2000 grit.. chrome, then buff and one last coat of chrome paint to get that mirror smoothness and look, then over that a couple coats of laquer, with wet sanding (about 600-800 grit -ish) after the first coat and before the last then 2000 grit wet sand buff again on a buffing wheel?

i think the key is finding a good chrome paint that will actually refect an image, not just a dull chrome shaded colour.. i also have not been able to locate sed paint as of yet... anyone?

does that sound about right? or completely wrong? i'm just kinda guessing, since it's 3:32am here,....

My friend has a Joe Satriani "Chrome Boy"... the exact same finish your talking about.. they used some kind of aircraft paint if i'm not mistaken.. but they only made so many of those guitars.. not quite sure.. but I think there are alot of problems with doing a chrome finish.. since it doesn't like to stick to wood very well.. lol.. anyway... good luck...

the way all of the shops that actually do a good job (i'm not into name dropping), what they do is put a magnetic primer, well one that can be electricly charged, then charge it, and dip it in the solution, and add a jolt of elecricity to the mix and viola, you have a finish, but like everyone said, it still doesn't like wood much. other places use some sort of vacuum process, but i haven't seen it done.

wayne charvel once had a guitar made out of metal, an alloy of some sort. that waould probably be the best way to get a chrome guitar. might be heavy as hell, but the sustain!! :D

the chrome boy guitar is made out of luthrite but thats just a heavier version of styrofoam no joke, you might want to check out the idea of a gold leaf like idea with your chrome body(if they make such a product) then clear coat it that might work but again i dont really know

My friend has a Joe Satriani "Chrome Boy"... the exact same finish your talking about.. they used some kind of aircraft paint if i'm not mistaken.. but they only made so many of those guitars.. not quite sure.. but I think there are alot of problems with doing a chrome finish.. since it doesn't like to stick to wood very well.. lol.. anyway... good luck...

As has been said, the JS10th's are luthite, the JS2 was wood but VERY problematic.

The JS's are real chrome plating. There are a couple problems with this.

1. Chrome does not expand or contract well with wood, hence going to luthite for the JS10ths.

2. It is not a paint at all. The JS's are done with a conductive paint, which has to be completely and perfectly smooth, any hint of the finest flaw will cause problems. Then they are plated with I believe copper or brass or something as the actual chrome will not plate on the conductive paint. Then the chrome plating is put on. The problem with this is, the chrome plating is more like a jacket that can't be taken off, it doesn't bond really well to the body itself. that is why when you see a 10th that has a chip, it tends to flake away quite a bit.

3. It is ULTRA expensive to do true chrome plating

It wasn't me that had a guitar plated by the butchers on ebay, but I've seen many pic's of them and heard from Rich what they did on the one he bought. He just bought it from ebay to see what they looked like, it was already plated. I've looked at what they consider a 2nd and if it was me and I had something come out looking like that I wouldn't even consider it reject bin material never mind factory second.

There are a couple different kinds of paint that are supposedly chrome looking now, one is very expensive to get started with but it is actually even conductive, I think this is the process that VH guitar store is using. I looked at it, but I simply don't get enough inquiries for chrome guitars to want to make the initial investment. Perhaps once I'm moved into the new shop with the better spray booth I'll consider it more.

The chrome vinyl or mylar does look like chrome, and for small area's it works fine. The problem with doing a full body front with it is that very little in the way of clear sticks to the chrome mylar. You need to scuff it, and then it doesn't really look chrome anymore.

Also, with all self adhesive mylars or vinyls, your bond is only ever as good as the self adhesive backing. If it should start to lift either from heat, or a chemical reaction, you have to start over.

I'm going to play more with the chrome finish stuff though to possibly offer a psuedo chrome finish, the chrome process that even VH is using is expensive, I believe in around $400 a guitar, however with the cost of the actual paint, I fully understand his price, it's less than I would probably do it for, along with that it's a b*tch to apply it from what I understand. You can't sand it out or polish it, so if you get a dust speck, you either live with it, or start over.

well, that's a honkin reply lgm, thanks for all the input i think i'm going to try the chrome FX....... and OMG i just looked at the prices, 3600$ US and the equipment is another 3600$US... well F*CK THAT!!!!! hopefully the sheeting is a bit better priced..