Fretless V

Got some new work under way, should be done in a week.

Mahogany neckthrough neck and wings

Bocote fingerboard

Gonna have steinberger gearless tuners, emg 81, possibly an 85 also, on/off switch, string through body, custom bridge that I will make after I design it.

Pics are posted on my crappy site

New Guitar

• 2 weeks later...

Very nicely shaped. Did you already get the Gearless Steinbergers? Because the only place I could find them (www.musicyo.com) are sold out, and usually get sold out within a day of recieving them.

Got em from stewmac. should be in today. The carve was done by hand. I used a radiused router bit first to get the bulk of it and get an even line around the edge then did the rest with a chisel and sandpaper. Yes, I stained the bocote, only to match the color and for the overall design. I did sand around the edge of the fretboard to give it a nice little natural edge and I masked off where the frets should be and used acetone to fade the stain out so I have fret references. I drilled small holes on the side of the fretboard for my fret markers. I will have better and more pics once I get all the parts put on it with more detail shots.

Looks pretty cool. The truss access cavity is a bit large though IMO. Also, whats going on in the nut area? I see the zero fret but what are those notches behind it?

I have a brass string guide that goes behind that, the notches are there to help the strings angle down into the guide. I will have a truss rod cover, had to do some things different than I would have hoped, I started this guitar a long time ago and made some changes since I decided to finish it and had to make up for it.

Is the guide just one of those brass bars that pulls the strings taught against the nut? If so, are those notches the only thing keeping the strings aligned?

Never seena carved flying v before. Looking very good man. I like the fretless idea as well and the acoustic bridge pickups. Is that what i understand is happening here?

keep up the good work

The brass bar is going to be what aligns the strings and pulls them over the zero fret. The notches are there just to help guide the strings into the brass bar. I am just going to have one humbucker in it. I am putting an emg 85 in there for now, might end up changing it out. I want it to have a really thick mellow tone, so I might just keep the 85.

Edited by Ragasguitars