What's Wrong With Normal Printer Paper?

OK, I decided to screw all kinds of decals and use just normal printer paper and some paper glue.

I'll take a normal sheet of paper, put it in a normal ink jet printer and print a normal graphic on it.

Then I will use normal scissors to cut it, then use some normal paper glue and stick it on the body of my guitar.

Then I will use some normal laquer to cover both the sticker and the body. Do it some more times maybe.

I believe that this would work - everything the ordinary way.

What do you think?

It is just not possible that someone hasn't done it before.

I imagine the laquer would kill the paper, kind of like if it got wet. Why dont you just buy a pack of transparency film and avoid the hassle? It's not too $$.

Hmmm... it's not about saving nickels, it's about simplicity.

I didn't know that laquer destroys paper, though. I think that if laquer could destroy normal paper, then it sure as hell could destroy those thin stickers most people are using.

Maybe if you use printer paper that's gummed on its one side...

Actually, why do you think it would look like crap?

Have you tried this before?

Thanks!

I guess it's possible that you could pull it off with enough experimentation, but paper that thick under a finish is going to look like paper under a finish. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of finish you'd have to apply to get rid of ridges. There are other problems, but they could be overcome will common sense mostly. Someone did a comic book finish awhile back if you want to look for it. I think it was on a JEM. What kind of graphics are you thinking of trying? There are probably other problems I can't think of off the top of my head. If you want the real normal way, get a normal airbrush and make normal stencils to spray normal paint under a normal finish.

wow, thats a real site too, i thought u made that word up... :D

Oki.. back on track.... ---> Why bother to mess up a guitar with a piece of paper? i would only do this if i had a leftover guitar i was looking into throwing away, and from what your saying , you sound like you dont even know what your talking about... so i would refer to some guides and tutorials before putting paper on guitars... pce! :DB):D

~korge B)

Edited by bluespresence

wow, thats a real site too, i thought u made that word up...   :D

Oki.. back on track.... ---> Why the hell bother to mess up a guitar with a piece of paper? i would only do this if i had a leftover guitar i was looking into throwing away, and from what your saying , you sound like you dont even know what your talking about... so i would refer to some guides and tutorials before putting paper on guitars... pce!

~korge   B)

If you've missed DrummeDude's previous topics, he actually IS rebuilding a piece of crap.

Hey, DrummerDude... what about using push-pins to attach the paper decal right on the finish? :D Or just using the pins to put it on the wood and then use LOTS of clear coats to make it even.

The most certain and cheap way is to buy an A4 sticker paper, printing on this and slapping it right on top of the guitar (headstock or whatever you're putting it on). On top of finish and everything. Print yourself a few replacements and you're set for years. :D

-------------

Jimbo

Edited by JimRayden

If you've missed DrummeDude's previous topics, he actually IS rebuilding a piece of crap.

Youre point is? i never said that he wasnt... :D

Now that were done crapping on a guy for having an idea. How bout getting back to the point.

I've tried the sticker paper under urethane clear. It stays dry relative to the clear surrounding it. And takes a lot of coats that "soaks" into the paper. It does not look nice at all. The transparency film works to an extent and even better is to get some items made from vinyl. These leave noticable ridges that need to be sanded down and polished. (Not such an issue lacquers cuz it needs to be done anyway)

The best, hands down is hobby decal transfer paper for making your own decals. this stuff is really thin and needs little or no leveling.

And contrary to the instructions on the Decal paper. It does not need a top coat if the ink you use is not water soluble. If you draw a decal with permanent marker it wil dry and not lift when you put it in water. But I don't know what effects solvents will have on the marker. (The top coat you apply is lacquer based so it cant be that bad )

OK, guys, he's got the idea! Jimbo, you're walking fairly close to the edge of flaming, and it's both unnecessary and beneath you - let this be a friendly caution, and let's stop beating on this guy! Like Brian says, "If you can't say something nice,...". Everybody, let it go, please! if you've got something to contribute, please do - if not, leave it alone!

We now return you to your previously scheduled thread already in progress.

Come on, DrummerDude is a fun guy with a sense of humour and I wasn't flaming a bit. Just switch yourself out of the mod-mode and read my post through the prism of humour. In DrummerDude's first topic he called the guitar "crap" several times, so I don't think I would hurt his feelings if I said it once more. :D

Ok, enough, it is time for DrummerDude to relabel his guitar.

Ohh I wanna see the outcome of this project. (for mods: this was not sarcastic)

-----------

Jimbo

Edited by JimRayden

****, you convinced me that I should do it the harder way. I'll go for real decals.

Thank you peeps

PS:

JimRayden, even though they require using a hammer, I still think its much cooler to use nails rather than push pins. Using nails for fixing the sticker would make the guitar look more old school and vintage too. :D

Edited by bluespresence

I have this stuff I bought for models that is decal paper. It's the water slide type decals. It is for the laser printer and it is very thin. Have any of you built plastic models? It's the same stuff as there decals. the best part is it won't disallve under clear coat. And the edges (since it's so freakin thin) don't show up under the clear. I would check the stuff out. I don't remember where I got it because I bought it a long time ago.

Edited by Godin SD

I asked in like 666 printer and photo materials stores.

No one had a freaking idea what I was talking about.

They all go like:

"What!? Water decals paper for printers? You mean those things kids like to stick on their forearms to imitate tattoos? Are you f****** kidding me dood? This is not a buble gum shop" And I can read in their eyes that they are thinking even worse things like: "Get the hell out of my store or I will call the coppers, you freaking idiot! How old are you? Like 5 or something?!"

It feels bad :D

None of the printer store f**** had an idea what this water decal paper is (just like me :D )

I will go for plain paper - after all I can find some sheets of it in stores...

Edited by DrummerDude

Thank you.

Unfortunately I am not able to order things online, otherwise I would have done it till now.

But it is some useful info on that site. One could learn a thing or two about decal paper. The prices, for example - 18 US bucks for a 20 sheets pack of waterslide paper??!

These dudes have one helluva huge sense of humour.

Edited by DrummerDude

Thank you.

Unfortunately I am not able to order things online, otherwise I would have done it till now.

But it is some useful info on that site. One could learn a thing or two about decal paper. The prices, for example - 18 US bucks for a 20 sheets pack of waterslide paper??!

These dudes have one helluva huge sense of humour.

20 sheets will do a lot of guitars. I think you might want to look into a job first if 18 bucks is too rich for ya. No offense but thats pretty cheap.