Rosewood Neck Lp - New Project

Yeah which would be great except that stew has discontinued both fret scale rulers  :D

Still showing on their website no. 3411. I find it so useful - having Fender, Gibson and PRS graduations on one rule.

But when you click on them they say discontinued.. They would rather you buy their 40 dollar template.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when you click on them they say discontinued.. They would rather you buy their 40 dollar template.

You're quite right, glad I got mine before. There's no doubt stewmac is a great resource but when they do things like that it gets a bit frustrating - wonder why they don't put Fender and Gibson scales on the same rule :D

Wow this guitar is really coming along nicely. I am also liking that neck heel. I always appreicate any LP style guitar without the LP heel. Nice work!

Hey, I am glad that you found some of my jigs useful. It's good to see them in use (I'll take you up on that beer anytime!). Let me know if you found any ways to improve the jigs. I am always working on the next version.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I just finished a rosewood necked LP style guitar myself and the tone was awesome. The bass was tight and articulate and there were harmonics to spare. The overall balance was really good too, not neck heavy at all. The feel of the unfinished neck simply can't be beat.

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

Xlr8, what is your paint setup?

I have a 15cfm (free air) compressor with a 200 litre (53 US gallons) tank which I run through a DeVilbiss water separator/filter system. Gun wise I have a couple of DeVilbiss SRI gravity fed guns and a couple of older Badger airbrushes, a 150 and a 200. I still have a Devilbiss JGA pressure feed system from when I used to paint hot rods but that's waaaaay too big to use on guitars.

Neil

I recieved the pickups from Tim last week so it was time to check the fitting of the electronics and then on to final sanding and finishing.

The last job before final sanding was to match the contour of the pickup rings to the body, but it starting to look like a guitar now;

0239e864.jpg

The top was sanded to 400 grit and a brown stain applied;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...in/0d12bf94.jpg

which was then sanded back to within an inch of its life :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...in/7417b7ca.jpg

and my honey stain applied

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/xlr8...in/f7ce0983.jpg

I apply three coats of the stain and set it aside to dry thoroughly. Next up will be spray sanding sealer and then shoot a few toner coats. A little airbrushing for a very mild burst and then topcoating. Now obviously all that takes a little while so after the next update - finshing and setting the neck, progress reports will be a little slow.

Neil

• 1 month later...
Hi Neil did you ever take any pics of the correct way to carve the back of the neck with the router?? Kammo1

Not yet but I did get around to carving the top on the Left handed model above;

DSC00597.jpg

This is stain and sealer - no clear yet.

I'll try and get some more neck carve pics this week.

The LP is just waiting for its electrics from the owner, when it's done I'll post some finished pics.

Neil

Neil, all your works are extremely clean!!! And great pictures for all us!!!

For rough carve the neck the last time you used a 1/2" roundover, now a 7/8"? :D

I'm a bit confused. A want to use one with the jig for my neck. I need a kinda of near flat profile, I believe a 1/2" will be fine.

that lefty looks pretty nice, is that the same stain as the tele?  Is the back black? And why did you taped the pup holes? I always like to seal them with the SS and laquer. But it looks good, more pics of the right one needed.

Hi Maiden,

The stain is from Stewmac with although mixed at a higher concentration than recommended. The back is just a clear coat over the Mahogany. Although the cavities look as if they've been taped only the neck mortise has been protected, the blue in the pup cavities is from a light toner coat. The right one is in the queue and is unchanged from the above pic but I'm looking forward to getting into it.

Hi Gun,

I use a 1/2" shank, 7/8" roundover bit. A 1/2" roundover will leave you a lot left to do.

Neil

Neil, given that those tele's were your first ever guitars, you've been only building 8 months or something..

Damn you are one talented and gifted guy..

Just beautiful work..congrats man!

It amazes me how all you guys find the time to do this...I'm lucky if I can have a hour to myself each week...

Neil but StewMac doesn't ship the liquid stain. They say are flammable item that cannot ship :D

I'm making a JEM neck, the back is near flat while the 7/8" bit seems to make a round profile, or am I wrong?

I remember you use an acrylic water base finish as sealer under the automotive 2 part poly. What brand do you use?

I tried to search a polyester finish that seems to work great under poly but all I was able to find is a polyester sealer for furniture. I dunno if it will work under poly. BTW if it's a polyester finish should work under another acrylic finish like the DuPont poly but I still didn't try it.

Gian

Thanks for the kind words i-j-c

Neil but StewMac doesn't ship the liquid stain. They say are flammable item that cannot ship  :D

I'm making a JEM neck, the back is near flat while the 7/8" bit seems to make a round profile, or am I wrong?

I remember you use an acrylic water base finish as sealer under the automotive 2 part poly. What brand do you use?

I tried to search a polyester finish that seems to work great under poly but all I was able to find is a polyester sealer for furniture. I dunno if it will work under poly. BTW if it's a polyester finish should work under another acrylic finish like the DuPont poly but I still didn't try it.

Gian

You're right about the shipping, I visit the US every month so collecting StewMac stuff etc is pretty easy for me.

The sealer I use is this one from Axminster tools

Acrylic sealer

If you're making a wizard style neck then you could use a 3/4" bit but I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Neil

Ok thanks. The metal complex dyes seem to work well virtual for everything! I have to see if I can get them in Italy.

I will look for a 3/4" bit. I have the fear with that jig to mark with the router bit the side of the neck. Do you place the bit just on the neck or do you let any space? I mean, if you look at the Myka's jig, look at the picture where the bit is on the neck. Do you place it so?

Thanks Neil

Gianluigi

Ok thanks. The metal complex dyes seem to work well virtual for everything! I have to see if I can get them in Italy.

I will look for a 3/4" bit. I have the fear with that jig to mark with the router bit the side of the neck. Do you place the bit just on the neck or do you let any space? I mean, if you look at the Myka's jig, look at the picture where the bit is on the neck. Do you place it so?

Thanks Neil

Gianluigi

Yeah it goes up against the neck. When you've finished routing there is still work to be done and any mark from the bearing will sanded out.