Difficulty In Playing The F-chord

gyaradoz

Hi,

I just started learning playing Guitar abt 1-2 mths ago...

I have difficulties playing the f-chord. Can any1 give me some tips how to successfully play the f-chord? like how to position my left hand, thumb etc? Or is there any exercises for me to make my left hand fingers more flexible to play the f chord

My forefinger keeps unable to make the first fret tight enuf to play the <f> note. I really find it difficult to use my forefinger to play both the <f> and <c> note at the same time....

The other chords, C,G-7, G, E-Minor, A-Minor etc all I can cope.. just the f chord I cannot........

Personally, i don't like barre chords which is how a lot of folks teach to play the F.. that's just my personal opinion though. I usually play an F and mute the 1st and 6th strings.. A ton of jazz chords you'll find are played on only 4 strings, you just get used to it.

So anyway, i play an f like this (low to high) X3321X Fingers (index, middle, ring, pinky) would be XRPMIX Plus it's easy to shift back and forth from C to F this way.. if you play C X32010 then shift to X3321X or X33211 (letting your index finger just barre the 1st and 2nd string ont he first fret) you'll find the switch from C to F is much faster thatn playing the traditional 132211 barre pattern. Hope that makes some sort of sense :D

This question would have been better posted in "off topics" or "players Corner" This particular forum is about building acoustics, not learning to play them :D Just a friendly FYI

Until I became comfortable with full barre chords, I played them without the root (lowest, in this case) note. That meant that my forefinger only had to cover the 1st and 2nd strings instead of reaching all the way up to the low "E" as well, as described in the post above.

x

That means that your grip can shift a bit so that it's almost like gripping a tennis raquet or somthing like that. In many ways, it's similar to the way you'd play an open "C" (but trickier). I'd take a picture, but I'm not at home with a camera. You can mute the low "E" string with your thumb if that's comfortable for you, by touching it with your ring finger (since it's already at the 5th string), as well as by practicing strumming technique so that you simply don't hit it.

I remember what it was like learning that darned "F", but I stuck to it because I really wanted to use it for playing certain Credence songs I was learning. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually. I STILL use the semi-barre chord version a lot of the time, even though I have no problem playing the full deal.

Greg

I must admit I have no personal experience because for some reason I was able to play barré chords right away and never had difficulties... Being able to switch fast being obviously another thing...

But the way I try to teach to play a barré correctly is to play just the barré (the first finger across all six strings) and try to get all notes ring clearly first, then applying that to the actual chord. Try to curve the finger lightly. I'll write again when and if I have time.

There are a couple of ways of going about this. An (what I would call) incorrect way is to provide a finger per string, in turn using the pinky and ring finger as well, ie your index finger in the B string (C note), middle finger E string (F note), pinky D string (F note), ring finger G string (A note).

To train the hand, fret both B and E strings with the index finger flattened across them, now grip the rest of the neck like a baseball bat wrapping your thumb over the top….squeeze until those two notes come out. Now add the remaining two notes…remember squeeze the neck. You should be able to get them to ring and build a bit of strength, it will become second nature in no time.

:D

His problem isn't the full barre, it's just getting the e and b strings to ring out. I had the same problem when I tried that chord. Practice, practice, practice is the only thing that will get you there. That or lower action if you have an aweful 'beginner' guitar.

Wait a sec devon...

My forefinger keeps unable to make the first fret tight enuf to play the <f> note. I really find it difficult to use my forefinger to play both the <f> and <c> note at the same time....

Having problems in getting e and b strings to ring out and is *exactly* where it shows you have problems with the barrè finger, devon...

There are a couple of ways of going about this.  An (what I would call) incorrect way is to provide a finger per string, in turn using the pinky and ring finger as well, ie your index finger in the B string (C note), middle finger E string (F note), pinky D string (F note), ring finger G string (A note).

To train the hand, fret both B and E strings with the index finger flattened across them, now grip the rest of the neck like a baseball bat wrapping your thumb over the top….squeeze until those two notes come out.  Now add the remaining two notes…remember squeeze the neck.  You should be able to get them to ring and build a bit of strength, it will become second nature in no time.

:D

Any classically trained teacher would kill you for saying this... Well there's no "right way" many would say, but I cringe when hearing advice like this... :DB)

On the other hand, you're not playing classical guitar in classical playing position. Putting your thumb in centre behind the neck is certainly more comfortable and easier when properly seated and using a guitar with a wider fingerboard.

Not much point making yourself play quasi-classical when it's not classical music or a classical guitar. Not one of the guitar players I admire plays in a 'classical' way. How you supposed to do a double-and triple stop bend in classical position?

I know you're accomodating all playing styles, and I'm not trying to respond directly to you, Churchyard, but in general I don't think it makes sense to try to use a technique that's not appropriate to the instrument or genre. :D

Greg

On the other hand, you're not playing classical guitar in classical playing position.  Putting your thumb in centre behind the neck is certainly more comfortable and easier when properly seated and using a guitar with a wider fingerboard.

Not much point making yourself play quasi-classical when it's not classical music or a classical guitar.  Not one of the guitar players I admire plays in a 'classical' way.  How you supposed to do a double-and triple stop bend in classical position?

I know you're accomodating all playing styles, and I'm not trying to respond directly to you, Churchyard, but in general I don't think it makes sense to try to use a technique that's not appropriate to the instrument or genre.  B)

Greg

Oh, well... To say the truth you wouldn't have to go as far as double or triple stop bends, you cannot do even a single string bend in classical position! For barré chords, on the other hand, I have always supported "old-school" style: Thumb behind the neck, first finger across all strings, little or no pressure from the thumb... In fact I try to keep the thumb behind the neck most of the time (bends not included).

This goes as far that sometimes I play some Hendrix tunes not grabbing the bass note with the thumb, despite it is theoretically more difficult! :D

But as I said, especially with electric guitar, there is no strictly right way to play it... It is just my personal problem!

Classical technique should never be underestimated though. I remember the first time I heard Segovia playing Bach, it was incredible.

As your description says, we rock guitarists are mostly pentatonic paupers :D

I'm going to second the comment about the action. Try playing the F chord on a whole bunch of different guitars, see if you have the same problem. A guitar with high action and heavy gauge strings can be the problem, unfortunately many beginners start with instruments that are a challenge for anyone but SRV...

Work on the barre chords on an acoustic for, say, a couple of months or so....without picking up an electric. Then when you go to the electric, you'll wonder how you ever had a problem.

Like learning to type on a manual, then going to a computer (which I did back in the day).

I play on acoustic most of the time and I've learned to do the "5-string F"

X33211 . Of course, I built my own acoustic and the action is pretty low. It plays almost the same as my '74 Tele. When you play custom built instruments, you can have it the way you want it.

I remember when I first started that the F chord was hard to do. They call it the "F Chord" for more than one reason, my teacher would always tell me.

Sounds like your fingers are not quite strong enough yet. Keep at it and it'll get easier with time. I agree that you should start out with smaller shapes and "build up" the chord as your hands get stronger.

I'd start with a simple xxx211 shape first. Then add the 4th string, xx3211. Then the 5th, x33211. Obviously, you'll work on that over time. It's going to take more than 5 minutes to get it right.

OK - this is how i get my fingers strong enough for difficult chords. i basically just put my fingers in the correct place and hold it on there making sure all the notes ring out and just keep it held till my hand feels like its going to fall off... i then take a short break and put it back on. i then practice switching from chords into this new horrible shape after a short while its programmed into my fingers that this is the F chord (or what ever chord your learning). And also practicing switching from other chords to that chord allows you to hear how you can use it in a chord sequence (some sound horrible some dont so u know what u can use and what you cant!)

Hope that helps.

BigT

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned...

The great thing about barre chords is that they can be moved. Take the F chord up to...say the 9th fret... Now it's the C chord. The F chord is particularly difficult, especially on some learning instruments and wide fretboard classical's, etc, because it's so close to the nut. Usually you can play the chord easier further up the neck...the frets are closer and the strings have a bit of stretch. Once you've got it to ring true, try moving it down a fret at a time till you get it in the harder lower positions.

If that works for you...you might want to invest in a capo. Put the capo on the fret that you can get that F chord and learn songs and changes at this higher fret position. As you get more confident and more strength in your hand you'll be able to move the capo down till eventually you'll need no capo at all...in the mean time you'll have been practicing changes. It's hard enough to get the F chord let alone change from and to it, so this too will give you some added strength, dexterity and keep things interesting without cramping up your fingers.

Otherwise, keep at it...these things take time :D

psw