Tripplebucker?

Just a guess (since I've never seen one before!) but you get the simplicity of a one-pickup design (though frankly I find this to be pretty inelegant looking), but give yourself the possibility to do phase trickery to get new tones. Plus, the single coil can be a 'real' single coil, not just half of a humbucker.

To clarify the point about the 'single coil'-- the construction of half a humbucker is the same as a single coil, but single coils will be properly designed to sound good on their own, whereas the 2 coils of a humbucker are generally engineered to complement one another and don't necessarily have their own individual personalities finely tailored.

Greg

I'm very intrigued by the idea. First of all I think this Ibanez (can be seen at www.ibanez87.it) looks awesome.

The Edge trem, the red body.....and then this strange triple humbucker....my eyes keep glued to it. One single and one humbucker. Although haven't figured out the switches though. There are two of them.

One like on Hammer would make sense.....up humbucker alone, middle all engaged, down (single alone)

And then with other switch....???

Up coil taped humbucker, middle coil tapped hum plug single coil, and ????

Or single volume could be coil tap switch???? Then maybe single on or off....???

Electronics are not my specialty yet. :D

It was definitely called a Mother'bucker in the '70's. A few places made them and they were in fact oversized tri-coiled humbuckers! I guess it's the old spinal tap thing...what's better than a twin coiled humbucker...a tri-coiled motherbucker of course...with the amps to 11! Anyone ever see that guitar made for 'Tap's Nigel Tuffnel with 4 humbuckers...it looked like an 8-coiled humbucker!

Similar ideas have been used by Ibanez before, on the original Iceman for instance they had a weird looking cover on it and a 4 position rotary switch to control it.

I quite like the look of two humbuckers within the same ring...I like this idea it would look like a 4-coil humbucker and have probably more useful combination options. Nice look with two zebras...though I've never seen it done!

psw

Yuk. ;-)

Too much plastic'n crap all over the place. The triple-coil motherbucker is already a bit out there, but I can live with it if there's only one. A quad-coil (dual full-size humbuckers) would be nasty looking. Like a Black Beauty, but worse. :D

Greg

I already marked it down for a future project. The look of those three (or actually two!) pups just has my eyes drawn to it. I'm sold.

I'm a big sucker for these kinda guitars. Guitars you run by and go.....oh!......and then at second look you go, ...what?!.........and then you say.......cool!

It's that grin on your face that makes it special.

The 2 hums, 1 single......2 hums....3 single....1 hum, 2 single....etc.... I have seen too many times. This one is special.

3 hums just looks crowed. One of these triple buckers looks just right.

I've seen a custom ibanez before that had like 5 diffrent pickups. Some hot, some vintage, some bright, some dark, some actice some passive. it had 2 humbuckers and 3 single coils. It looked awesome with like 10 knobs and switchs. It could get just about any sound you could dream of. Granted this setup wouldn't be so great on stage but in the studio it ROCKED!!!! It got many diffrent sound and it sounded great on all of them. The sustain was just fine even with all those magnets. I've heard it said that too many pickups will effect the sustain and I'm sure it does but it still sustained way more than a strat even with all those pickups. Granted it diddn't sustain quite as well as a standard ibanez but by no means was it "low" or "wimpy" sustain.

okay back on subject...

That setup would give you the obvious humbucker or single sound. But it opens the door too other combos because now you have 3 coils that you can make in or out of phase and wired in parallel or series.

Personally I think it would be more versitle just having a humbucker in the bridge and putting the single in the neck. Than you can play with more bright/dark kind of things. But than it wouldn't look as good :D

Edited by Godin SD

Put a single-coil or a humbucker in the neck and i'm sold.

really, this could open up lots of cool sounds... but as Godin said, you still need a neck PU if you ask me.

great find :D

Well, If you step back and think about it.(and coolness factor aside) I cant really see the point. A humbucker is two opposite polarity opposite wound coils that cancel out the hum by mixing it with the reverse wave of the hum. Kinda like a sound and anti-sound that negate each other.

If you add another coil it ruins the balance. So effectively you have a humbucker and a single coil in series....and you still have the singles hum.

The only thing that may make a difference is the position of the coil but its still going to have the single's hum.

What if you use a stacked humbucker instead of the single coil pickup? That way you might even be able to use its bottom hum-cancelling coil with one of the coils in the regular humbucker and open up other possibilities.

Now we have 2 humbuckers in series. I can see where you're going with that but in all practicality 2 humbuckers would be easier. And a similar tone i might add. I think theres a reason why these never made mainstream.

Well, If you step back and think about it.(and coolness factor aside) I cant really see the point. A humbucker is two opposite polarity opposite wound coils that cancel out the hum by mixing it with the reverse wave of the hum. Kinda like a sound and anti-sound that negate each other.

If you add another coil it ruins the balance. So effectively you have a humbucker and a single coil in series....and you still have the singles hum.

The only thing that may make a difference is the position of the coil but its still going to have the single's hum.

I agree with you. It won't be your most practical set-up. But then again....I already have plenty guitars with a practical set-up.

The main reason for this is so that you can get a humbucker or single sound in the bridge. Many people (myself included) don't think that a split humbucker sounds as good as a "real" single coil. So now you can get a single sound or humbucker in the bridge. You could make the humbucker sonething real hot and a vintage single coil so you can have metal and classic strat in one guitar with the cool look of 3 coils sitting next too each other.

Not simply any type of single pup would work, I guess.......

Some have this bulky thing on the side of it...

157517.jpg

others don't

160756.jpg

If you look at your second photo, you can see the baseplate start to angle on the opposite side :D and if you look at the single-coil from the triple-coil, you'll see that it's mounted on a metal baseplate with tabs like a humbucker. This is also how the Blaze single coil is mounted.