Immoral?

Curtis P

ok, my major music assignment is coming up soon, and i have been wrestling the idea of this song, it is very metallica influenced, think Trapped under ice, the starting

----------

----------

----------

-----0-2-

-----0-2-

-0-0-----

like that, now, my question is, is it immoral to use part of that song (just that part there,) and say on the assigment "heavily influenced by metallica" or something??

Curtis

did you listen to trapped under ice and think "hey that'd work good on my assignment," or did you write the part of your assignment first and then realize that it sounded like metallica later?

if you wrote your part first, and then just realized that it sounded like (maybe even was the exact same) as a metallica song, i don't see a problem. sure you were probably influenced by it, but i know at least when i write music, i'm always influenced by something. it's just that sometimes the influences come out more strongly.

Come on...thats a very common blues move. Hammer the a-b then the d-e and you get a rolling bluesy shuffle...if you've put a bit of swing to it!

This isn't stealing IMHO unless you continue to follow the same formula as in the song you may have pinched it from. Even then, if you were to repeat it on the next set of strings (so it's in A) you could make a 12 bar out of it. Is the 12 bar stealing.

The Led Zep guys probably crossed the line when they also stole the lyrical content on some of their stuff, though their delivery was quite different from the original, so it's hard to draw a line I guess.

Perhaps all rock is theft...you have to go back a bit further than Metallica though to find the original owners!

psw

Why not use this one instead? :D:D

--------------------------------------

-----------------5-5-----------------

---765---765--------7--------------

Repeat as needed.

I have a similar question: In a solo of mine, I am using the following lick. I took it from some Chuck Berry solo.

e---------12------12

b-----12-------12---

g-14^-------14^-----

Do you think that it is immoral that I do this? I really cannot sleep at night thinking about this...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

My vote is that Curtis can use his riff, but Mr. Churchyard is henceforth banned from Chuck Berry licks. After all, if EVERYONE was doing that lick, it wouldn't be MY signature rip-off lick anymore.

I mean... none of you are doing that lick, right? (except Churchyard)

Greg

That wouldn't happen the be influenced by cheech and chong would it?

My mother talkin' to me try to tell me how to live. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

But I don't listen to her cuz my head is like a sieve. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

My daddy he disowned me cuz I wear my sister's clothes. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

He caught me in the bathroom with a pair of panty hose. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

My basketball coach he done kicked me off the team. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

For wearing high heeled sneakers and acting like a queeeeeenn. hahahahahahah

uhhhh Yeah. Now THATS immoral!:D

Edited by Southpa

That wouldn't happen the be influenced by cheech and chong would it?

My mother talkin' to me try to tell me how to live. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

But I don't listen to her cuz my head is like a sieve. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

My daddy he disowned me cuz I wear my sister's clothes. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

He caught me in the bathroom with a pair of panty hose. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

My basketball coach he done kicked me off the team. duhduhduh duhduhduh duh duh duhhh

For wearing high heeled sneakers and acting like a queeeeeenn. hahahahahahah

uhhhh Yeah. Now THATS immoral!:D

:D:DB)

Immoral....come on Curtis. Music is an interpretation of something you heard and it stuck I just read an article in the new Bass Player where Victor Wooten said he "borrowed" a lick from Jaco and uses it in one of his songs. He wrote the song around the 12 notes he "borrowed".....as long as it's not a blatant rip off you're not doing anything that hasn't been done already a million times.

I have a similar question: In a solo of mine, I am using the following lick. I took it from some Chuck Berry solo.

e---------12------12

b-----12-------12---

g-14^-------14^-----

Do you think that it is immoral that I do this? I really cannot sleep at night thinking about this...

Thats also a lick from the Enter Sandman solo by Metallica.

Immoral....come on Curtis. Music is an interpretation of something you heard and it stuck I just read an article in the new Bass Player where Victor Wooten said he "borrowed" a lick from Jaco and uses it in one of his songs. He wrote the song around the 12 notes he "borrowed".....as long as it's not a blatant rip off you're not doing anything that hasn't been done already a million times.

Hey Bluespresence,

Thanks for the reply, I am not ripping it off and calling it my own, i am using the notes, chaning the rythm a bit, and a few chords, but i just didnt want to post the clip (when its done) and everyone be like: You ripped of Metallica! your not really a muscian, ya da da da, bla bla bla"

Thanks everyone

Curtis

e---------12------12

b-----12-------12---

g-14^-------14^-----

I've tryied so hard not to play this lick anymore...why, oh why did I ever pinch this from EC's cream work...

My vote is that Curtis can use his riff, but Mr. Churchyard is henceforth banned from Chuck Berry licks.  After all, if EVERYONE was doing that lick, it wouldn't be MY signature rip-off lick anymore.

I mean... none of you are doing that lick, right?  (except Churchyard)

Greg

I'll keep trying not...to...play...this...bre.a.k..a..gain...no I can't help it.

I've got to know...is there anyone who hasn't played this lick?

Also...dispite my failings...it is bad, evil and will send you blind...it IS immoral, and I think we should pledge to wipe it out...perhaps by playing only CurtisP's riff adinfinitum untill all players are cured!!!

Any other sordid licks you want to confess...perhaps this is the place.

Sometimes, I get caught in BB King's blues box and can't escape also. Why is that?

It often happens to me that when I have come up with a great riff or lick, and then play it to a friend, he says 'that sounds exactly like blablabla by the blablas'.. and I have never heard of that band or song... I think that almost all riffs and a great number of licks have featured in some songs, either well known or unknown, but I don't think it really matters unless you make an exact copy of the 'original'.. :D

I'll keep trying not...to...play...this...bre.a.k..a..gain...no I can't help it.

I've got to know...is there anyone who hasn't played this lick?

Also...dispite my failings...it is bad, evil and will send you blind...it IS immoral, and I think we should pledge to wipe it out...perhaps by playing only CurtisP's riff adinfinitum untill all players are cured!!!

Any other sordid licks you want to confess...perhaps this is the place.

Sometimes, I get caught in BB King's blues box and can't escape also. Why is that?

I refuse to give up that lick. It's not evil, it is heaven. And I'm the only person currently using it, so it's all mine! :D

Just as common, but I have to use it all the time:

e-----------12--------

B---12b^14-----14r12--

Pentatonic blues box... that's my home... I sure wish I got out of the house more, though. :D

dont worry about that, continue all the song and then divide it in parts, and then check if it really sounds metallica like

then begin making changes

Looking at your avatar... I guess that's exactly how Green Day make their songs... Steal from others, checking if it sounds like the original band, if it does too much, change it slightly... :D:D