Strat Tremolo, Question About The Springs

Ok, today i have been setting up my strats tremolo, i found it too hard to use with the 3 springs in the patern they came in so i took the midle sping out and moved to two springs left to the out side, paralel to the walls of the trem cavity. This was still too hard for me so i took them out and replaced the middle one, so now ive only got 1 spring. Is this a wise idea? will this harm the trem in anyway?

I took a pic, cause i didnt explain it very well i dont think, heres how it is now.

Image180.jpg

Edited by Marzocchi705

You probly need to start over. Put all three springs back in after you back the two screws that hold the spring retainer to the body OUT about 1/2". The screws should be plenty long. Then start setting with all three springs in by running the retainer screws back in a little at a time. Hope this helps.

OK i did that and i still found it a bit too hard, i like to be able to bounce of the trem not have to force it much. So i took out the middle one again, and it felt the way i want it to, i did move the retaining claw nearer to the trem block.

Heres how it is now. Image187.jpg

?? Is this bad too ??

I agree. If you're finding it that hard to manipulate, the 'claw' for the springs is definitely screwed in too deeply.

Nothing new to add here... just agreeing with the above advice. :D

Is this a regular tremolo? Not a Floyd type, I think your screws, the 6 screws peaking there at the pic are too tight, you probably need to loosen them up a a bit. Also remember that this type of tremolo don't like to be abused to much, not like a floating set up at least.

Marz- You're on the right track.

1 spring is....okay. It's not the best way to do it, but it *can* work.

2 springs is a better way to get it done.

As Maiden pointed out, check the height/depth of the 6 screws that mount the tremolo to the body on the face of the guitar. If those are screwed down too tight, or hindering your trem plate from moving, back them off a bit (equal amounts on each) until you're happy with the range of movement the trem now has.

Then go to the back and adjust your trem claw until you like where the trem is sitting and the guitar is tuned.

TIP: There are different tremolo spring lengths. Try to match up equal lengths when installing or replacing trem springs in a guitar.

To find matching lengths, slide the loop end of the springs on a small screwdriver shaft. It's a quick way to show you which are 'long', 'medium' and 'short'.