Blue Top - Tele

Looks nice, even colour, and as Jehle noted, nice cleanwood working.

However, you need to tidy up the natural binding, or you'll kick yourself later. IMO even width, clean, crisp, binding (real or faux) is a must on a nice guitar. If you settle, it'll bug you for ever. It's slow and painful to do, but it's the details which make or break a top notch guitar.

Looks nice, even colour, and as Jehle noted, nice cleanwood working.

However, you need to tidy up the natural binding, or you'll kick yourself later.  IMO even width, clean, crisp, binding (real or faux) is a must on a nice guitar.  If you settle, it'll bug you for ever.  It's slow and painful to do, but it's the details which make or break a top notch guitar.

Yeah - I know, It looks like a taped a little high in a few areas and some stain got through in others. I tried to make sure I sprayed enough sealer on the binding prior, but oh well. What is the best way to clean these types of mistakes?

Here is another view of the binding:

th_blue_firstcoatocclear010.jpg

binding

I'm trying to find that link that I had to Stew Macs blue tele that Dan finished. It had a natura lbinding and he had kinda the same problem, he fixed it by scraping the edge of the binding with a razor having a piece of binding taped up as a depth gauge.

I did my guitar by sealing the edge with sanding sealer before staining, I still had a bit of stain on the edge, so I used a 320 grit sandpaper attached to a small block and sanded the edge of the guitar until it was clean.

Thanks for the link. I will try and clean up the edges a little. Most likely I will do some light touch up with 320/ 400 grit paper and then go back and add more sealer.

Like another thread- when I was spraying the sides the mahag. seemed to coat much faster than the maple. You could see where the maple wassucking up the sealer. Some areas were nice and covered wile others still needed more. Hopefully I will post new pictures next week.

Bill

Like another thread- when I was spraying the sides the mahag. seemed to coat much faster than the maple.  You could see where the maple wassucking up the sealer.  Some areas were nice and covered wile others still needed more. Hopefully I will post new pictures next week.

Bill

I found the same exact thing to be true. I'll be doing my fourth sealer coat today.