This probably sounds like a stupid question BUT here goes... how exactly does one attach the "wings" of the body to a neck thru guitar? is there one method? if not what are the different methods and yeys and neys about the methods? if someone could answer this for me it'd be great, Thanks

Just make sure the sides are flat and free from and contaminates (oils from the wood, dust ect) I used a plane and sanding blocks, you may find that you tend to bevel with a sanding block leaving a slighty curved face, the plane is alot easyer to leave a perfectly flat, level face for glueing. Other than that use plenty of glue and lots of clamps, as many as you can fit on. Wipe the exess glue as it comes out of the joint, leave it clamped for 24-48 hours and you should be fine.

Yes!!!

A neck thru is much easier than a set neck or bolt on. As long as you are talking about building any of the three from scratch.

If you cut your shape out of the wings before you glue them on save the cut off pieces for clamping cauls. This way your clamp will have a flat surface to rest on and will be less likely to slip.

Also use original titebond glue not titebond 2. This is very important! I have tried titebond2 and other brands even gorilla glue, original titebond is best. for the wings you could buy the smallest bottle you can find and still have some left over.

Make sure to mark the wings and body on the front or back with a pencil so when you glue them up they will be in the correct position. Always double check the position because it is possible for one or the other to ride up and if it is the lower side it could affect fret access among other things

If for some reason after you glue them up you have a slight gap between the neck and wings dont worry there is a solution to that.

Just go for it and if you have any problems contact us and we will walk you through it.

Remember everyone out here at one time or another made their first guitar.

Backwoods :D

Sheep :D

So it seems like making a neck-thru is easier than making a bolt on or set neck. Thanks guys

How difficult a neck thru will be is based for the most part on how well you plan ahead. Then of course how well you can follow those plans. If you are not sure how to glue wings, you don't have a plan yet.

If you cut your shape out of the wings before you glue them on save the cut off pieces for clamping cauls. This way your clamp will have a flat surface to rest on and will be less likely to slip.

Also use original titebond glue not titebond 2. This is very important! I have tried titebond2 and other brands even gorilla glue, original titebond is best. for the wings you could buy the smallest bottle you can find and still have some left over.

Make sure to mark the wings and body on the front or back with a pencil so when you glue them up they will be in the correct position. Always double check the position because it is possible for one or the other to ride up and if it is the lower side it could affect fret access among other things

This is a good set of tips.

A neck thru is much easier than a set neck or bolt on. As long as you are talking about building any of the three from scratch.

A neck thru will become a bit of a handful at points because you can't seperate the body and neck. Again if you plan ahead you can save yourself a lot of headaches. I would say the simplest aspect of a neck thru is gluing the wings. The only part of a neck thru that is easier than a bolt on is the neck/body joint, because it is eliminated. There is also the point that if you don't plan well enough or screw up some aspect of the build. It is done and you can start the process over.

If for some reason after you glue them up you have a slight gap between the neck and wings dont worry there is a solution to that.

Just go for it and if you have any problems contact us and we will walk you through it.

Not hard to do, just requires good planning. Don't just start cutting and glueing. It will end up sloppy or trashed. Then again if you enjoy purchasing lots of wood......

No.

I second Setch, or I guess it would be third. Even if the wood was plained when you bought it I would fit it up before making any glue joint, unless your ok with big gaps and lots of glue.

Peace and best of luck, Rich

Sheep :D

So it seems like making a neck-thru is easier than making a bolt on or set neck. Thanks guys

How difficult a neck thru will be is based for the most part on how well you plan ahead. Then of course how well you can follow those plans. If you are not sure how to glue wings, you don't have a plan yet.

This is a good set of tips.

A neck thru will become a bit of a handful at points because you can't seperate the body and neck. Again if you plan ahead you can save yourself a lot of headaches. I would say the simplest aspect of a neck thru is gluing the wings. The only part of a neck thru that is easier than a bolt on is the neck/body joint, because it is eliminated. There is also the point that if you don't plan well enough or screw up some aspect of the build. It is done and you can start the process over.

Not hard to do, just requires good planning. Don't just start cutting and glueing. It will end up sloppy or trashed. Then again if you enjoy purchasing lots of wood......

No.

I second Setch, or I guess it would be third. Even if the wood was plained when you bought it I would fit it up before making any glue joint, unless your ok with big gaps and lots of glue.

Peace and best of luck, Rich

Fryovanni,

I agree wholeheartedly about the glue joint. On my first neck thru I glued the back on and cleaned up the sides on my neck on my table saw. I just dialed my table saw to 0 and made the cuts. I noticed nothing wrong until I later glued the wings on my neck. My table saw was off a few degrees and my wings were perfect on the front of the body but I had .020 gaps on the back. I was able to make the gaps disappearin the finish with alot of work. I built that neck thru totally from raw wood so that is why I was having to clean up the sides. If someone purchases one of the manufactured neck thru blanks they should not have problems on the neck side of the glue joint but they should look out on the wing side.

I try to make things turn out the best I can but I can say that I do not forget these mistakes and I rarely duplicate them. I am constantly learning all of the time. The only way to learn how to build great guitars is to learn from mistakes.

Backwoods