Mesa Boogie Alternatives.

sepultura999

well i got my clean nice and set up with a fender 4x10 deville. Currently i am using a digitech metal master but nothing beats the tube distortion for me. Someone mentioned to me earlier about building a Dr. Boogie (forget what site that's from) but i am 17 and since i have no skill in electronics, i think i want to keep the hair on my head, and my life for a bit longer lol. I don't want to spend 3000 canadian for a mesa boogie triple rectifier head when i'll only be using the distortion. I did see the Gainiac 2 tube preamp by Rocktron but i haven't found a store that carries it yet here in Toronto. I believe there's only one tube in it anyways, but still would be worth trying I think. I have tried the line 6 uber metal and it is a fantastic pedal and the next thing i'll be doing is compareing it side by side.

Any suggestions on what's out there to get that nice thick tube distortion, or given the situation, should i stick with the metal master?

-Jamie :D

Edited by sepultura999

What about putting a JMP-1 into the effects return of the DeVille? If it has a loop that is. Dunno what price ENGL's are in Canada but they're Mesa distortion and Fender cleans for a fraction of Mesa's price. Which is nice.

Beat me to it Feylya, was just gonna suggest ENGL.

Seems to me that if you've got a DeVille for your clean sound then a Rectifier would be overkill, volume wise..

I use a '64 Super Reverb for clean and a '65 Princeton Reverb for leads

The Princeton's only 12 watts but with the EV 12" it pumps out just enough

You probably want a bit more grunt than that...I'd recommend the old Boogie Studio .22

They actually sound better than the bigger Boogie combos and they don't blow yer head off...heh

Plus, if you've got 2 amps you can do some nice stereo stuff...

I run a Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere...

bass rotor into the Super, and treble rotor into the Princeton....

it's nice...

Edited by mutronboy

okay, dumb question here. What is the difference between the rectifiers? I went on the site and all I could find was wattage, and the single doesn't have as many independent channels and modes. Anything else? What about the mesa boogie recto recording preamp, or is that only for recording? :D

-Jamie :D

Edited by sepultura999

single is 50 watts 2 channels 5 modes

dual is 100 watts 2 channels ? modes

triple is 150 watts 3 channels ? modes

price is one difference, the distortion is a lil different between them, i have the single and my friend has a triple, i like my single better but its also a pre 2000 model which means it was made before 2000 some people say they sound better but who knows. i got mine off ebay for 700 shipped, ill never get rid of it

thanks MzI. The duel and triple have 8 modes.

i'll go and try a single rectifier next time im at my local music store.

What about the mesa boogie recto recording preamp, or is that only for recording like it says?

1. I think the wattage ratings for the rectifier lines quoted are way wong.

A triple rec has 4 6l6 or 4 el84 power tubes. Putting it in at about 100 watts.

The names are designations around how the ac power is turned into dc.

2. Why not get the Mesa V-Twin pedal if its Mesa distortion your after. I used one for quite a while and for all the solos on the songs on the excessive compulsive website.

3. Check out Jt-Pedals Valveboy for a cool alternate preamp/pedal

i tried the v-twin pedal and it didn't sound anything like the rectifer does, nor for metal.

the JT-valve boy does sound very nice, but i'd have to give a try for myself.

from mesa boogies site:

Single rectifier: 50 Watts, Class A/B Power / 2x6L6, 5x12AX7

Duel rectifier: 100 Watts, Class A/B Power / 4x6L6, 5x12AX7, 2x5U4

Triple rectifier: 150 Watts, Class A/B Power / 6x6L6, 5x12AX7, 3x5U4