New Goldtop Custom Guitar Finally Finished

I just finished a new guitar poject. This guitar is the result of a very creative collaboration between me and my client. He supplied a full size template of his body shape and said to do the '56 goldtop thing to it. So I did. We decided to put in some piezos and make it a semi-hollow with a taipliece as well, just to make things interesting. The result is one of the coolest guitars I have had the pleasure of building. The shape has been named Sungazer.

My client trademarked the Sungazer shape so if anyone wants to use it PM me and I'll get you his info. He is an artist and wants his work protected so please respect this. Thanks.

Here is a pic:

002.jpg

And here is the gallery on my website: Sungazer Goldtop

What do you think of the design? Does it work? Why or why not? Any and all feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

~David

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I would love to hold that piece. I would say that was a VERY sucessful collaboration. An ellegant design executed perfectly. Oh and by the way, I like it too. Well done is the understatement of the year.

George

Reminds me of an Iceman just a little bit. The goldtop styling is done very nicely. What is that fretboard wood? It is awesome! I really like the flame maple fingerboard binding too. Very, very cool guitar.

What do you think of the design? Does it work? Why or why not? Any and all feedback appreciated

It works very nicely.

The only thing that bugs me is the shape of the bottom. My eye wants to see it either rounder or bigger. If it didn't have that tailpiece, it would bug me a lot more. That tailpiece, which I should add is very nicely done, really makes the shape of the butt look right. That, and the contours of the top carve. If it were a flat top, I don't think it would look half as good. I still wanna see the ass end just a tad bigger, but that's just me. :D

Do you have a better pic of the end of the tailpiece? I am curious as to how it attaches. Is it all one piece of wood, or is there some hardware involved?

Beautiful David, I like the shape, I remember seeing the template he supplied on your site! I turned out better than what I thought, since the shape was odd for me I didn't know what to expect.

I love the look of the neck binding from the side, that curl looks grat natural colored.

Very nice.

Congrats Dave,

that's the nicest new guitar I've seen since Hamer brought out the original 'Sunburst'

The way the pickups sit, and the compact body, is reminiscent of my restored '59 Guild Manhattan,

but with a totally original shape

very tasty indeed....

The execution is flawless. One of the most amazing guitars I've ever seen! I'm also with Erik, though in that my mind "filling in the blanks" with a rounder arse-end seemed more suited to my personal tastes.

<drums fingers together a la Mr. Burns> A future project idea....

Regarding the "copying a design idea" thing-- the shape is distinctive enough that David's client has successfully trademarked it, end of story. But as David also knows, there's such thing as fair use, and to build a personal guitar of your own with the shape isn't necessarily illegal. I could be wrong, but I believe that the reason David has offered the contact information is: 1. so that you can extend your courtesy to the original designer by perhaps simply asking if you can use it for a personal guitar, and if there's a way he would like you to give him credit. 2. for anyone who decides they want to make and sell that shape, it's trademarked and now that we are aware, we must contact him before proceeding.

I would definitely at least make a courtesy contact, if I decided to use the shape.

Greg

I would definitely at least make a courtesy contact, if I decided to use the shape.

Greg

Well, I'm wondering if he contacted Wandre and Gibson when he decided to use this shape!

All of this is not meant to take away from the guitar itself mind you, I think it's really nice (although I agree that bottom seems to be different for different sake, and I'd prefer a rounder bottom...like a Wandre!)

I think it is -amazing- and I have not a single reservation about it at all.

I love it thoroughly just the way it is and would not want to see a single thing changed on it. Fantastic creation inDEED.

BRAVO DAVID!

As a matter of fact, I think the sum total of the parts and decisions is actually greater than the individual choices taken one by one. That's what makes a masterpiece.

Like, I was trying to imagine the guitar some other color, like a figure enhanced quilted maple top, or a blue top, or just -some- other color, and I'll tell you, I could not imagine one single color that would look one half as beautiful as the gold top you did, what an amazing and completely organically correct choice for that guitar. Classy , very classy indeed.

It is a VERY hard thing when designing a new guitar like that to get every detail correct and in the proper perspective, like the shape and position of the f-holes, the shape of the carve to match the body shape, the headstock to match the body, the pkp selection to match the guitar design, and everything on that guitar just ~flows~ together perfectly to make it a beautifully artistic creation, and that is -not- an easy thing to do at all.

The smallest error in judgement can destroy the whole project, but on that, everything 'works' in perfect harmony. That is a big salute to both of you as a team for working together to come up with that.

And the carve, DAMN! I LOVE the carve job!

You both must be very proud pappas!

I give it the Drak Salute, 5 out of 5! :D:DB):DB)

The execution is excellent, of course. Beautiful work...

But...to me it looks like something made by Wandre in the 60s...which is a GOOD thing, if you ask me, but I wonder how it's possible to copyright a shape that's obviously inspired by/lifted from someone else?

Besides, there was this thread, the guitar with the hamster foot a couple weeks back...I see some definite similarities in the design--does this mean he's no longer allowed to build it?

I'm just wondering about this whole copyrighting body shape bullhockey...I mean, sure he can copyright this EXACT shape, but all someone has to do is make a bit of a modification to it and call it his own right ( I mean, this shape is basically just a squashed Les Paul...)

yep, this definitely looks like my design, not that it's a bad thing... And i will build it anyways :D

Very good job on the build anyways! I just don't like that lower horn...

Me too, am interested in that tailpiece... did you build it yourself? its nice!

a very professional looking job you did there!

man this design has a realy great MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER!!

I can see A realy cool metal axe in that design just as is, but if you lost the pickguard and that bridge and did it in a Black flamed maple top with EMG's

and If I had the cash :D You would be building me a new guitar

And styles76 DEADLY design Great work!

Dave That Is some great work man!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

If i had the money I would totally buy one of David's awesome electrics in a heartbeat. They have always been very high on my list of dream guitars... but I am afraid that if there is any justice up for grabs these days then by the time I am able to put in my order he will be far too busy to get me one in my lifetime :D

I mean... really!

http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/025/default.htm

Bliss! I dont think I would ever be able to decide on what I would get!

Another fan right here David - Excellent work :D

- Dan