Valves. Gain?

Asomodai

{hey guys. Basically i have just purchased a Randall RG50TV all valve amp. I would like to change all the Valves to something more substantial. as the Electro harmonix tubes inside are pretty subpar.

I want tubes that will give the most amount of gain and that are readily available commerically.

I need 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 EL34 poweramp tubes.

Also another question. This amp is built as a meduim gain amp. Ok for early 80s metal But not much else. WHat decides the amount of gain in the amp? Is it a single component? Is it the Valves? Is it possible for the example to increase the gain through a safe mod of the electronics?

Rob

Therre's nothing intrinsically wrong with EH tubes (unless you're an audiophile, or some other strange alien creature). B) Unless they're worn out, or they sound bad, there's no reason to replace them, especially in an amp that is designed to distort. If you want more grind out of your amp, try a clean boost in front of it, or even a distortion box, like a Tubescreamer or an OD250. Personally, if the amp is over 5 years old, I'd be more inclined to replace the power supply caps than the tubes, unless there was an obvious issue with them.

:D Of course, I'm just a lowly tech, not a guru, but tube snobbery never made much audible difference in anything high-gain that I've played with. But that's just me... :D

like lovekraft said,electro-harmonixs are just fine.

want more bite?get a good eq...i mean like a 15 band graphic eq(dod makes some good ones for around $75 to $100)

you might be surprised how scooping the mids out can make the amp sound meaner.most bands don't use as much gain as you might think...they just scoop it or add a clean boost,most times both.

So an EQ pedal would really make that much difference then the EQ on the amp itself? I dont know it seems to be like im fighting the guitar and really trying very hard to get bone chilling crunch.

I do have a DOD yngwie pedal as well which i use though it doesant give me the correct sound that i want. ((gives me a great malmsteen tone but i want death metal crunch))

Would replacing the harmonix with KT66's Make much difference to the gain?

Also, how easy would it be to add another gain pre amp stage to my amp?

rob

Edited by Asomodai

once i started playing with one i was surprised that I could make my guitar sound that different

And to take that thought a little further, it will also make a dramatic difference if that EQ pedal is before or after a distortion pedal... :D

Just whilst were on the discussions of EQ's... i found a great site for what seems *some* good deals

Turnkey Website

They also have some other nice equipment on there...i got the monitors for my recording setup from there...!

and yes GO BUY THE EQ... it will help so much... Mid scoops are great fun! :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

once i started playing with one i was surprised that I could make my guitar sound that different

And to take that thought a little further, it will also make a dramatic difference if that EQ pedal is before or after a distortion pedal... :D

i run them through the effects loop

i run them through the effects loop

I run both. That way I can change the sound pre-distortion, and post distortion.

i am sure LK will shoot me down for this later, but i can't stand Ehx tubes. nearly every one i get is either Michrophonic or some other nice problem the last one ordered from the acutally when the amp was turned on to standby it actually looked like it had a small gas flame in it. it burned up right nicely. of course after checkign all the current levels from the heaters (they were all stock and right as rain) i plugged in a new JJ tesla tube and everythings fine again. but i have extra bad luck so i tend to stick with what is not exploding at the moment.

but jj's are usually cheaper too. well i dont' know bout the general consumer since we get them from the distribution account at ce and ehx. i do like the solder that ehx has though. very nice and the cloth covered wire. much easier to work with than the crucifix's and silver wire i normally use..

wait is that a full Moon??????????????